Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
cdavidneely
CF Newbie

1004 Pontiac Grand Am Electrical Problem

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1994 Pontiac Grand AM with a 1993 engine. The engine is a 3.1 Liter Multiport with an automatic transmission.
I recently replaced the alternator and everything was going well. While travelling I used the turn-signal which had gotten difficult to use lately. You had to pull forward on the lever to get the signal to work. After doing so there was small amount of smoke rise from the steering wheel assembly. After that I notice that the car was starting to lose electrical power. Since then I can't keep batteries charged and have lost three (I think to a dead cell since they won't keep a charge anymore).
I am pretty sure that a short has occured in the steering column. Will having the car placed on a testing machine reveal the location of the short or will I have to rely on disassembly of the column. Does anyone have any other ideas about how to fix it?

Thanks
David
cdavidneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

You probably have a dead short in the multi-function switch in the steering column. Unfortunately, the air bag will have to be disarmed and the wheel removed to replace the switch and repair damaged wiring. Once the switch is replaced I would makesure no other damage has occurred
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote