Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Am I going insane?

Yesterday at work I saw a thread titled "Newyorker's school" with a link that was supposed to be funny. However, the hospital at which I work blocks myspace and all myspace sites so I could not see it. I can't seem to be able to locate the thread now. Has it been deleted or am I going crazy?

PS: I tried to PM a moderator with this question to save bandwidth, but his inbox was full. You know who you are.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Yesterday at work I saw a thread titled "Newyorker's school" with a link that was supposed to be funny. However, the hospital at which I work blocks myspace and all myspace sites so I could not see it. I can't seem to be able to locate the thread now. Has it been deleted or am I going crazy?

PS: I tried to PM a moderator with this question to save bandwidth, but his inbox was full. You know who you are.
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...=23550&page=50

Presumably that same mod moved it to the videos thread...
Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

No, you're not going crazy. As Chris has already shown you, the thread has been "merged" with another. This is our self important moderator's way of "improving" the forum. You see, now instead of simply looking for a thread that you know the name of, you can go to a single thread and search for hours to find what you want. Improvement.

I railed about this problem several times in the past. Many people have complained once or twice, like you are here, but then let it drop. If you also believe that this is possibly the stupidest way to "organize" threads and want it changed, please join me in raising hell about it. Nothing will change unless we, all of us, speak up... Unfortunately the thought police probably won't change anyway.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
please join me in raising hell about it.

I tried, but I put too many pictures in the post

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
No, you're not going crazy. As Chris has already shown you, the thread has been "merged" with another. This is our self important moderator's way of "improving" the forum. You see, now instead of simply looking for a thread that you know the name of, you can go to a single thread and search for hours to find what you want. Improvement.

I railed about this problem several times in the past. Many people have complained once or twice, like you are here, but then let it drop. If you also believe that this is possibly the stupidest way to "organize" threads and want it changed, please join me in raising hell about it. Nothing will change unless we, all of us, speak up... Unfortunately the thought police probably won't change anyway.
Love that book
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

I merged the thread with the video thread. I know you're intelligent enough to understand why, but clearly "some" members would rather bitch about abusing powers and rubbish like that, where as most members will eventually see that a thread containing a video should be in the video thread....Seems logical to me. If the Video thread wasn't a sticky thread, I might have left the two newest threads as they were. But there's a sticky thread so it's clear for all to find. No disrespect intended to the posters of said threads, I understand that sometimes we all overlook things.

By the way tbax, clean your inbox out, tut tut!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 11-29-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Cliffy, I gotta agree with the mob on this one. It's not like this place is completely cluttered with new threads every day. To me the medication is worse than the illness.

On the other hand who really cares; its a small problem, and probably not worth any of our time.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:13 AM   #8
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Just to point out one little problem with the whole thread merge thing.

How the hell is anyone supposed to know it existed? You know, the thread I made.

Someone comes to the forum who hasn't been here in a week, and they won't even see it.

Dumbass way to do things.

Way to go clifford.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

I'll tell you what Cliffy. I'm going to give you a chance to show you can actually perform your moderation "duties." Obviously the members who contribute the most and are most active don't like the idea of merging such threads.

So...how 'bout you be a good little boy and stop doing it.

EH?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
I'll tell you what Cliffy. I'm going to give you a chance to show you can actually perform your moderation "duties." Obviously the members who contribute the most and are most active don't like the idea of merging such threads.

So...how 'bout you be a good little boy and stop doing it.

EH?
+1 as soon as someone adds another vid to that thread the conversation flow breaks apart. Way to go.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

We now have an interesting dichotomy for the thought police. On the one hand he can't change what he's doing because I'm the one who originally suggested it. On the other hand, after reading this post he'll have to change his approach to prove me wrong. Either way, he displays that he's an idiot.

Apparently he's the only one here who's "intelligent" enough to understand why he does it. He's implying that he's smarter than everyone else in the thread. Sounds like bullsh*t to me. It also sounds to me like Cliffy needs the re-evaluate his position and attitude. Oh my, what's a moronater to do?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

First off, I agree with the rest of the members that it's better to keep threads separate.

But I don't understand why you should call Cliffy an idiot just because he moved the thread to the video thread...Has anyone ever complained before? No. If you don't want threads merged like that, then say it, and if enough members agree with your opinion, he'll change his actions.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
First off, I agree with the rest of the members that it's better to keep threads separate.

But I don't understand why you should call Cliffy an idiot just because he moved the thread to the video thread...Has anyone ever complained before? No. If you don't want threads merged like that, then say it, and if enough members agree with your opinion, he'll change his actions.
1. Yes, many times, read a few posts up.

2. Because he is, and has proven it over and over ad infinitum over the years.

P.S. I'll punch another hole in his reasoning. He says;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
...where as most members will eventually see that a thread containing a video should be in the video thread....Seems logical to me. If the Video thread wasn't a sticky thread, I might have left the two newest threads as they were. But there's a sticky thread so it's clear for all to find

Here's what he didn't tell you. He's using the thread that HE stickied to justify putting other threads there. Read what it says in my sig;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa
That's exactly what Cliffy is doing. As long as it seems logical to him, it's the only way to do it. Only one person asked for a sticky, but several in this thread have asked for no sticky. If we're doing it democratically, it needs to ne changed. There's no good reason to have all the vids in one thread. It's cluttered and confusing. He always say to use search, but how do you search for something that's grouped with a hundred other somethings? You can't. It's a bad idea. It's always been a bad idea. But Cliffy will stick to it until death does him part.

That's why Cliffy is an idiot.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:

Here's what he didn't tell you. He's using the thread that HE stickied to justify putting other threads there. Read what it says in my sig;

That's exactly what Cliffy is doing. As long as it seems logical to him, it's the only way to do it. Only one person asked for a sticky, but several in this thread have asked for no sticky. If we're doing it democratically, it needs to ne changed. There's no good reason to have all the vids in one thread. It's cluttered and confusing. He always say to use search, but how do you search for something that's grouped with a hundred other somethings? You can't. It's a bad idea. It's always been a bad idea. But Cliffy will stick to it until death does him part.

I like the quotes below better. At least he knows for next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 AM   #15
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:

With that said, it's clear he is unfit to be a forum moderator. What actually needs to happen is for him to just stop, because I doubt he's capable of doing things like they should be done.