Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2004, 04:07 AM   #1
jynx
CF Newbie

1992 Ford Mustang LX

I'm the owner of a 1992 Ford Mustang LX 2.3 liter motor and, unfortunately, an automatic. I changed the spark plugs and now the car is idling low and the rpms aren't up to where I'm used to them being. I didn't change the air filter, a friend has suggested doing that before totally panicking. I've changed plugs on cars before, but I've never had a problem like this. Is it an oddity or is this something that is normal for this particular car? Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:47 AM   #2
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynx
I'm the owner of a 1992 Ford Mustang LX 2.3 liter motor and, unfortunately, an automatic. I changed the spark plugs and now the car is idling low and the rpms aren't up to where I'm used to them being. I didn't change the air filter, a friend has suggested doing that before totally panicking. I've changed plugs on cars before, but I've never had a problem like this. Is it an oddity or is this something that is normal for this particular car? Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
What brand plugs did you use? Did you have to gap them or were they the DO NOT GAP type ? Single or 2 plug per cylinder ? Could you by any chance have crossed any plug wires? What was the rpm idle before and after the swap? How is acceleration? Do you have any miss ? I forgot what my question was
Old 05-03-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
jynx
CF Newbie

Wink

I used Champion spark plugs. Had to gap them myself. Gap required is 0.054, I made sure they were all gapped the same. 2 plugs per cylinder (which is rather annoying IMO). Couldn't have crossed plug wires as I did them one at a time to avoid that problem. RPM idle prior was right about 900 rpm after the swap idle rpm is at about 500 . Acceleration starts of slowly, but once I get up to about 25 mph if I back of the gas and then hit it again the car has pick up to it. And no, I didn't miss any. 8 were bought and 8 were replaced.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Some engines have not a specific gap, but a gap range. Example: .052 - .056. And anywhere within that range is fine. If I were you, I'd re-gap them to the exact size the old ones were.

What I'm saying is; the old plugs may have been gapped at the minimum of that range. (.052) and you gapped them to the max of that range (.056) and that's where the change is. That's one possiblity. The other is, there the wrong heat range, or depth reach. Last but not least, the old plugs could not have been resistorized and the new ones could have been. weakening your spark. If your sure a plug wire didnt get disconnected, or crossed, then this is about all the possibilities for the spark plugs themselves being the problem.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
I used Champion spark plugs. Had to gap them myself. Gap required is 0.054, I made sure they were all gapped the same. 2 plugs per cylinder (which is rather annoying IMO). Couldn't have crossed plug wires as I did them one at a time to avoid that problem. RPM idle prior was right about 900 rpm after the swap idle rpm is at about 500 . Acceleration starts of slowly, but once I get up to about 25 mph if I back of the gas and then hit it again the car has pick up to it. And no, I didn't miss any. 8 were bought and 8 were replaced.
You might want to verify the spark gap specs. I think it should be.044, not .054. I can't swear to it.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
You might want to verify the spark gap specs. I think it should be.044, not .054. I can't swear to it.

You know what I think your right. I'm 95% certain it's .044 like you said.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:27 PM   #7
jynx
CF Newbie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67

Well, I did use one of those nifty little "computers" at wal-mart and that's how I knew which plugs to get and it also said what the gap was to be set at. I'll check again just in case though.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
jynx
CF Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67

I must've been having a Barbie moment. I just called the local auto parts store and.....It is .044.

Thanks all.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:08 PM   #9
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
I must've been having a Barbie moment. I just called the local auto parts store and.....It is .044.

Thanks all.
Thanks for the reply. No one on this forum makes mistakes Just wish we had a spell checker I can't spell or type for Sh*t, This still a pretty good/fun place to be
Old 05-03-2004, 11:14 PM   #10
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Thanks for the reply. No one on this forum makes mistakes Just wish we had a spell checker I can't spell or type for Sh*t, This still a pretty good/fun place to be

There's always dictionary dot com...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #11
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
There's always dictionary dot com...
I have that, just HATE bouncing back and forth.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:50 AM   #12
jynx
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid

Unfortunately the car now sounds like a badly tuned lawn mower. I can't win for losing with this one. It was suggested that I change the plug wires if they're rather old. As I've only had the car for 2 years and I've never changed the plug wires maybe that will be the next step in trying to solve the problem. And it's idling at about 400 rpm's now.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 AM   #13
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
And it's idling at about 400 rpm's now.

Sucks. Just sucks. I know how it feels. However, I might know where your trouble now lies. Since you over gapped them by 1/4 there untire gap, it's certain they were missfiring like crazy. They could be fouled up. Hopefully you cleaned them before you put them back in after you re-gapped them to .044? Check, double check, tripple check your firing order. You have a Ford, I've seen firing order's in manuals be wrong before. I have one that's incorrect and stumped the hell out of me once after replacing ignition module and pulling distributor. Clean, clean, clean your throttle body. Dirty throttle body can cause your situation. After this, if nothing works, change plug wires. That don't work, get drunk....or maybe your coil is weak.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:46 AM   #14
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

If you bought the plugs @ "wally world" (Walmart) you will probably have Autolite 764 or Autolite AP764 Platinums which should be gapped @ 0.044 inches

Anything else done besides changing plugs?

If not, lets make sure the plug wires are connected to the right terminal on the coil packs for both sets of plugs. If the cylinder which is firing is not paired with the correct cylinder which is not firing, the voltage to the cylinder which is supposed to be firing will be low and you will get a weak spark (this system is a true waste spark distribution system. The link below should link you to a diagram to show the plug and coil pack connections.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/j...3d80194130.jpg

Next, I would check the condition of my plug wires (4K ohms/ft - 15000 - 20000 ohms max resistance as well as any cracks in the insulation, etc) Replace them if necessary

If this doesn't help and nothing else was done to the car, its time to check for trouble codes and go from there
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:27 AM   #15
jynx
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
If you bought the plugs @ "wally world" (Walmart) you will probably have Autolite 764 or Autolite AP764 Platinums which should be gapped @ 0.044 inches

Anything else done besides changing plugs?

If not, lets make sure the plug wires are connected to the right terminal on the coil packs for both sets of plugs. If the cylinder which is firing is not paired with the correct cylinder which is not firing, the voltage to the cylinder which is supposed to be firing will be low and you will get a weak spark (this system is a true waste spark distribution system. The link below should link you to a diagram to show the plug and coil pack connections.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/j...3d80194130.jpg

Next, I would check the condition of my plug wires (4K ohms/ft - 15000 - 20000 ohms max resistance as well as any cracks in the insulation, etc) Replace them if necessary

If this doesn't help and nothing else was done to the car, its time to check for trouble codes and go from there

Actually I did get Autolites (not platinums). When I gapped them improperly the car wasn't misfiring. And I do the plugs one at a time to avoid the possibility of crossed wires. Only changed the plugs. The car had been missing a bit the past week. Bothered me to the point that I started driving the mini van to and from work. Oh another new development as well....The check engine light comes on and STAYS on as soon as I start the car. I try to fix one problem and end up with new ones. I did notice that one of the old spark plugs looked a little rusty. 3rd plug in on the right side of the motor as you are looking into the engine compartment. I'm hoping that's not part of the problem. Thanks for all the advice and input GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by jynx : 05-04-2004 at 03:55 AM.