Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Cops, Cameras and....Crime?

Here in the UK it's been talked about alot in recent years that all speed cameras are used for are to rake in revenue from drivers doing a few MPH over the speed limit and infact have very little to do with saving lives. Now I can believe this in some areas such as motorways and some duel carriageways, but I tend to agree with them in places such as 30-mph zones etc where schools are, or in generally built up areas. Do all country's have this system, and Governments that seem dead set on revenue before safety? Or is it just us?......Or maybe it is all about safety and the fines they are paid from speeding motorists goes straight back in to helping cut road deaths.

I tend not to speed anywhere these days just for my own piece of mind. I find it somewhat satisfying to overtake a Police car who is going slower than the speed limit on a motorway (traffic police cars have to do 55-mph I believe, when on routine patrol on a motorway). It's also not only because of Police and/or cameras, but because of road safety too, especially in a built up area. See it's not all about money. At least where drivers are concerned.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

We don't have speed trap cameras that I am aware of in NJ. We do have speed signs that tell you how fast you are going and tell you to slow down if you are speeding, but they are a big joke because they don't take any pictures. We do have redlight cameras but they are mostly in cities. There is also rumors that they will/do monitor EZPass to determine if a person was speeding between tollbooths, but I have never heard of someone actually getting a fine. Around here I tend to think they get more revenue from breaking up drug rings. Maybe that is why NJ is notorious for its horrible traffic, crazy drivers, and endless construction.

Damn shoulder runners.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I haven't seen any cameras around here. There aren't too many cops most of the time either. Sometimes they enforce the laws more strictly, like a couple of weeks ago when the city got like 300 "refugees" (illegal immigrants that someone sent from Florida so he wouldn't have to deal with them. A couple have been sent to other cities, but the rest are still here, and will live on the government's dime for at least a year until their refugee status is processed. Right now, the tax payer is paying for every one of their expenses.).

That doesn't meant that at other times there aren't a lot of cops, but when I go out, there's probably a 1 in 20 chance of seeing them. Surprisingly, people don't speed much, usually like 70 in a 60 (km/h), 120 in a 100, etc. I guess it's only fair, since police scanners and radar detectors are illegal lol.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

We don't have any speed cameras here in Massachusetts that I know of, but some states do. I don't like the idea though. I don't see doing a quick 100mph blast on an empty highway as that big of a deal, but I do see a problem with somebody driving like an asshole @ 70mph through highway traffic. Guess who's gonna get nailed? If it were an actual cop it'd be the other way around.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

i watched cnn and saw this awhile back.

PADUCAH, KY -- Everybody has seen parking tickets, but one Kentucky man is getting dozens of notices from across the country on cars he doesn't own from cities he's never been to.

When he combined his passion for the Kentucky Wildcats and cars, there was no way a Hickman County man, Ves Flavious Burgess, could predict the trouble his license plates are causing now.

Flavious has parking tickets from all over, and since he refuses to pay them, he's getting delinquent notices as well.

"The one from Baltimore is about $4,045 now. I've never been to Baltimore or any of these states. My car has never been there either," Flavious said.

The problem is a souvenir plate similar to Flavious' that hundreds of Kentucky Wildcats fans across the country have on their cars.

Ticketing officers often mistake them for the real thing, and since Flavious has the only "IAM4UK" plate registered in Kentucky, he gets the tickets.

Flavious plans on collecting the tickets and continuing to show off his car, and as for the parking tickets he says he will just put them in storage.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
bbaddog
CF Newbie

if you don't know what a speed camera looks like
here are some pictures...

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
bbaddog is offline   Reply With Quote