Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
Dewey
CF Newbie

4g63 cyclone

I drive a 96 eclipse. I am considering swapping my stock motor 4 a 4g63 cyclone motor. I was wondering what would the power increase be? And is it worth $1,650. The price also incudes Intakemanifold exhaust manifold rest of accessories manual transmissionand ECU.Thank you 4 taking the time 2 read.

Last edited by Dewey : 09-02-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey
I drive a 96 eclipse. I am considering swapping my stock motor 4 a 4g63 cyclone motor. I was wondering what would the power increase be? And is it worth $1,650. The price also incudes Intakemanifold exhaust manifold rest of accessories manual transmissionand ECU.Thank you 4 taking the time 2 read.

As long as it's a 6 bolt 4g63T you're good to go!

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Dewey
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
As long as it's a 6 bolt 4g63T you're good to go!
What do You mean By 6 bolt?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:49 AM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
What do You mean By 6 bolt?

There are 3 types of 4G63's You got a 4G63(N/A) 4G63T Cylcone(Turbo) and a 4G63T(Modfied for Evos). They all have either 6 or 7 bolts that attach the engine to the flywheel, or engine to the transmission, either or I forget sometimes. The 7-Bolt motors wich were used in some 93-94 and all of 95-98 Eclipse motors.

The 7-Bolt motors have a serious complication called "crankwalk". Now not all of them do, but a good number of the 7-bolt numbers will crankwalk. This is a condition where the crankshaft of the car is unbalanced and begins to rub against the CPS(crank position sensor) and destroys the crankshaft berrings. Not good; In the event this happens you WILL have to replace the motor, unless you catch it early.

If you're going to buy a 1G(1st Generation 90-94) eclipse, then u should be fine, because I have yet to see anymore than a handfull of those crankwalk.

If you're going to buy a 2G(2nd Generation 95-99) eclipse, then there is a good possiblity you could get crankwalk, especially in the 96-97 models.

Anywhos, I was just giving you some information on Eclipses wich does'nt pertain to you if you're buying a motor from a JDM company. All they sell are 6-Bolt motors(you could probably get 7-bolt on special request), The 4G63T Cyclone motors give about 190-210 HP at the crank. $1600 is'nt a bad price, but I'd have to recommend you go to www.totaljdm.com to get the motor. They are the best JDM motor company arround. I believe their going rate is $1400(everything included). Also you're going to need a 2G bracket kit to put the 1G 6-Bolt motor in your car. The information on how to install a 2G-1G swap can be found at www.dsmtuners.com. The job is a fairly easy bolt in, but my buddy, whom owns a Talon, says he can't pass emissions with the cylcone intake head(He lives in SoCal). So you may have to fork up another $20 bucks to get a USDM 1G intake header off a car in the junkyard.

Hope this helps good luck.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:20 AM   #5
Dewey
CF Newbie

In simpler terms could I do it with out spending over $2000. Would it be possable to do it by myself and four other friends(two of wichhave experince). And is my Eclipse a 6 or 7-bolt if your not for sure how can i tell.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
In simpler terms could I do it with out spending over $2000. Would it be possable to do it by myself and four other friends(two of wichhave experince). And is my Eclipse a 6 or 7-bolt if your not for sure how can i tell.

Yes it can be done without spending over $2000, provided that you don't run into any problems. Its possible to do it by yourself if you have somone to help you lift the engine and drop the tranny(I've done it by myself). I sureley hope two of your friends have experience in doing an engine/tranny swap on an AWD car.

Your car is a 7-Bolt. You can tell my counting the bolts that connect the flywheel to the engine(looks like a big gear at the end of the engine) You won't be able to count these until you take the engine out.(FYI)

Anywhos, if you're going to swap the tranny I suggest you get a manual(search arround on that site I posted above) for the proper torque specs and diagrams for the suspension. It gets kinda hectic and sometimes you may need a book to guide you.

Good Luck

Old 09-06-2004, 02:50 AM   #7
Dewey
CF Newbie

One thing I forgot to include my car is the GS= FWD. Will this matter alot
Old 09-06-2004, 02:54 AM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
One thing I forgot to include my car is the GS= FWD. Will this matter alot

Yes, I believe the 5-Speed trannys/transaxle's that come with the 4G63 motor are AWD Transaxles, you will not be able to use the tranny. So just keep your normal tranny. Umm taking the motor out a FWD car is a bitch so be prepared for some headaches....

Old 09-06-2004, 03:07 AM   #9
Dewey
CF Newbie

Hey thanks man for your help i new i should have gotten the AWD version. Well...LMAO... How much would it cast to convert my car to an AWD
Old 09-06-2004, 03:27 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey thanks man for your help i new i should have gotten the AWD version. Well...LMAO... How much would it cast to convert my car to an AWD

No problem, willing to help anyone. Thats what forums are for. Converting it to AWD? It would be cheaper to just sell your car and get a GSX or TSi.

But in the event that you would want to convert it, you would need a donor GSX(preferablly one that has its guts ripped out). You'd need a flippable car hoist(for ease) then you would have to take all the AWD suspension components off the donor car and put it on your car(including electrical wirinng and the exhaust). Its basicly a transplant from A to B. It could cost no more than the price of gutted GSX and a few parts here and there and a little elbow grease. I'd guestimate $1500-2400

I used to have a TSi a while back, it was my first car. I bought it from a guy who had did an auto-manual tranny swap. Little did I know, he did it himself and very half-assed about it and it almost got me killed(only due to my own stupidity)

I was on a road and this guy in a Honda Civic came up next to me all riced out, tachometer, kitted, wheels, wing and shit like that. So he starts nuetral dropping at me (revving the engine in nuetral while in motion). So whatever I revved up and waited till my turbo spooled then let off the gas so he would hear my BOV(to know that I'm turboeing). This lil rice boy purges his nitrous lines and this big ass cloud of nitrous gas comes out from under his hood then he cuts me off all crazy about it and speeds off burning out in front of me. So I dropped to second and launched after him, catch up to him then flashed my brights at him and sped off on him. He was gaining on me so I redlined to like 5500-6000 RMP's drop my clutch and engage my 4rth gear. The link between the tranny snaps from the damn transfer case. My car instantly starts swerving, this guy was literally 5-8 ft in my ass he swerves in time to not rear end me and I'm trying to control my car thats swerving all over the place to keep from causing a big wreck(this is a 4 lane road).

Turns out when the guy did the auto-to-manual swap he did'nt use some sort of connecting piece between the tranny and trasnfer case. Point being I should'nt have been racing, but the tranny was bound to snap either way. So I would'nt advise any suspension swapping unless you are a certified tech at it. Because that incident almost got me seriously hurt or even killed. Luckily no one got heart and I just pushed my car to a side street. Now I drive a GS-T

Old 09-06-2004, 04:23 AM   #11
Dewey
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
No problem, willing to help anyone. Thats what forums are for. Converting it to AWD? It would be cheaper to just sell your car and get a GSX or TSi.

But in the event that you would want to convert it, you would need a donor GSX(preferablly one that has its guts ripped out). You'd need a flippable car hoist(for ease) then you would have to take all the AWD suspension components off the donor car and put it on your car(including electrical wirinng and the exhaust). Its basicly a transplant from A to B. It could cost no more than the price of gutted GSX and a few parts here and there and a little elbow grease. I'd guestimate $1500-2400

I used to have a TSi a while back, it was my first car. I bought it from a guy who had did an auto-manual tranny swap. Little did I know, he did it himself and very half-assed about it and it almost got me killed(only due to my own stupidity)

I was on a road and this guy in a Honda Civic came up next to me all riced out, tachometer, kitted, wheels, wing and shit like that. So he starts nuetral dropping at me (revving the engine in nuetral while in motion). So whatever I revved up and waited till my turbo spooled then let off the gas so he would hear my BOV(to know that I'm turboeing). This lil rice boy purges his nitrous lines and this big ass cloud of nitrous gas comes out from under his hood then he cuts me off all crazy about it and speeds off burning out in front of me. So I dropped to second and launched after him, catch up to him then flashed my brights at him and sped off on him. He was gaining on me so I redlined to like 5500-6000 RMP's drop my clutch and engage my 4rth gear. The link between the tranny snaps from the damn transfer case. My car instantly starts swerving, this guy was literally 5-8 ft in my ass he swerves in time to not rear end me and I'm trying to control my car thats swerving all over the place to keep from causing a big wreck(this is a 4 lane road).

Turns out when the guy did the auto-to-manual swap he did'nt use some sort of connecting piece between the tranny and trasnfer case. Point being I should'nt have been racing, but the tranny was bound to snap either way. So I would'nt advise any suspension swapping unless you are a certified tech at it. Because that incident almost got me seriously hurt or even killed. Luckily no one got heart and I just pushed my car to a side street. Now I drive a GS-T
Hey it helps to have someone to talk to that knows so much about cars. I mean that i'm only 17 and i dont know that much about cars. you proably have a degree in inports plus you have years of exerance. See i hope to one day after i get out of high school and to go to Wyotech or some other big automech school. This shit is my life. Cars and music i love Guitar. But any how i wish i new more about cars.so thanks most of all for your knoledge.

Last edited by Dewey : 09-06-2004 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:51 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey it helps to have someone to talk to that knows so much about cars. I mean that i'm only 17 and i dont know that much about cars. you proably have a degree in inports plus you have years of exerance. See i hope to one day after i get out of high school and to go to Wyotech or some other big automech school. This shit is my life. Cars and music i love Guitar. But any how i wish i new more about cars.so thanks most of all for your knoledge.

Haha, I'm here to help. Wait till you mix cars and music together. You get horsepower/decibel pumping beasts. Umm it might surprise you to know but I'm only 17 as are you. Difference is that my father is a master technician/automotive engineer so I got an early start. I've been working on cars with him since I was old enough to walk.

I still remember working on his modified TransAm. It had a bored out 350 block, with Holly 4 Barrel carbs, and a supercharger all tucked neatly under a ram-air hood with only the supercharger gleaming in the sun. Tailpipes that could disturb the heavens and the earth. The thing was a beast pushing 560HP & 600Lb-Ft. It ran the quarter mile in 10 seconds flat. I remember the first time he took me for a run in it. He put a dollar bill on the dashboard and ask me to grab it. He launched and I got pulled back into the seat. From then on I wanted a bad ass car that could do that.

I worked at his companys garage for a while, and my uncles more than often. I started taking college course my freshman year at a local community college. I've gotten a 3 certifications in engine technician and repair, tranny service and repair, and engine performance. I'm almost done and I'll have my automitve technician degree shortly once I finish my Fuel Injection III and Advance Auto Skills III. I love cars, I gain as much knowledge as I can about them. Just read my friend and you will become wise, work with them and you will be come experienced. Build them, break them, and race them. I'm no genious, but I will be somone famous in the automotive industry someday....

Old 09-06-2004, 09:49 PM   #13
Dewey
CF Newbie

Quote:
Haha, I'm here to help. Wait till you mix cars and music together. You get horsepower/decibel pumping beasts. Umm it might surprise you to know but I'm only 17 as are you. Difference is that my father is a master technician/automotive engineer so I got an early start. I've been working on cars with him since I was old enough to walk.

I still remember working on his modified TransAm. It had a bored out 350 block, with Holly 4 Barrel carbs, and a supercharger all tucked neatly under a ram-air hood with only the supercharger gleaming in the sun. Tailpipes that could disturb the heavens and the earth. The thing was a beast pushing 560HP & 600Lb-Ft. It ran the quarter mile in 10 seconds flat. I remember the first time he took me for a run in it. He put a dollar bill on the dashboard and ask me to grab it. He launched and I got pulled back into the seat. From then on I wanted a bad ass car that could do that.

I worked at his companys garage for a while, and my uncles more than often. I started taking college course my freshman year at a local community college. I've gotten a 3 certifications in engine technician and repair, tranny service and repair, and engine performance. I'm almost done and I'll have my automitve technician degree shortly once I finish my Fuel Injection III and Advance Auto Skills III. I love cars, I gain as much knowledge as I can about them. Just read my friend and you will become wise, work with them and you will be come experienced. Build them, break them, and race them. I'm no genious, but I will be somone famous in the automotive industry someday....
Man that makes me fill bad beings that your the same age. But you got the experince that i dont have. I got to get money to get experince. Would you agree that the only way (in the subject of cars) to get experince is do it not so much your self but with someone else (that is experinced) for there guidance. See if i had more money i could buy all the parts and pay someone to help me.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:01 PM   #14
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Man that makes me fill bad beings that your the same age. But you got the experince that i dont have. I got to get money to get experince. Would you agree that the only way (in the subject of cars) to get experince is do it not so much your self but with someone else (that is experinced) for there guidance. See if i had more money i could buy all the parts and pay someone to help me.

You should in no way feel bad. I just had different scenarios to learn about cars. Well your own learning curve and personality has to work with the way you gain information about cars. Me, if there is something I don't know that comes up in a conversation. I will find everything I can about that particular subject and read up on it for hours until understand it.

Car guys don't really like teaching other people everything they know. Its frustrating, and tiresome. Its very hard to work on your car when there is this kid(who only has good intentions) asking you a question about every little thing you do. Your at the point where you should take a class that pertains to automotive tech. I remember I read my autotech book from cover to cover, over 800+ pages. Several times. Cars are to complex nowadays. You need proper training from a school to teach you about the new systems and or practice in a garage.

Certain things, hell alot of things that involve working on car engines are usually common sense. Like installing an exhaust, changing spark plugs, or rotating tires. The more complex stuff like engine diagnostics, transmission work, and suspension require you to have more knowledge in that field. You can learn the basics from just practing but eventually down the line you're gonna need some sort of schooling...

Old 09-06-2004, 10:59 PM   #15
Dewey
CF Newbie

Quote:
You should in no way feel bad. I just had different scenarios to learn about cars. Well your own learning curve and personality has to work with the way you gain information about cars. Me, if there is something I don't know that comes up in a conversation. I will find everything I can about that particular subject and read up on it for hours until understand it.

Car guys don't really like teaching other people everything they know. Its frustrating, and tiresome. Its very hard to work on your car when there is this kid(who only has good intentions) asking you a question about every little thing you do. Your at the point where you should take a class that pertains to automotive tech. I remember I read my autotech book from cover to cover, over 800+ pages. Several times. Cars are to complex nowadays. You need proper training from a school to teach you about the new systems and or practice in a garage.

Certain things, hell alot of things that involve working on car engines are usually common sense. Like installing an exhaust, changing spark plugs, or rotating tires. The more complex stuff like engine diagnostics, transmission work, and suspension require you to have more knowledge in that field. You can learn the basics from just practing but eventually down the line you're gonna need some sort of schooling...
See my problem is that i play guitar in a band so i cant dedicate all my time or most of my time to cars do to my music (which im much more talented in). but i still love cars. Do you have any plans to goning to bigger school like Wyotech later or what? and i was thinking 4G63N/A what about the tranny on it would it or is it the same as the cyclone?

Last edited by Dewey : 09-06-2004 at 11:02 PM.