Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
MgsJester
CF Newbie

hid headlight

Hey guys..I'm new to this forum..and I'm only 14 so please don't say something is obvious because it probably isn't obvious to me. My dad has an '03 Accord and I just started getting interested in cars and he told me that I could do some changes to it so I wanted to start out with something small. I wanted to know if I can switch the regular headlights with HID bulbs or do I need to have some conversion thing? Also, am I supposed to adjust the headlight to legal height by myself?
MgsJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgsJester
Hey guys..I'm new to this forum..and I'm only 14 so please don't say something is obvious because it probably isn't obvious to me. My dad has an '03 Accord and I just started getting interested in cars and he told me that I could do some changes to it so I wanted to start out with something small. I wanted to know if I can switch the regular headlights with HID bulbs or do I need to have some conversion thing? Also, am I supposed to adjust the headlight to legal height by myself?
Xenon bulbs (20 dollar garbage) are not road legal because they emmit a different light pattern that the headlight housing will reflect in all directions causing glare to other drivers. A real HID system will include bulbs wires ballasts, etc. The kit will set you back about 250-600 dollars depending on the bulb size, brand, and if its a Xenon or Bi-Xenon kit. If you want to do the real HID conversion properly, youd have to get projectors (tsx, tl, s2000) retrofitted into the stock housing because the light beam on HID is not the same as the one on halogen bulbs. Personally I have an HID kit coming for my car, but we already put one in before from a friend's and it had no glare or anything thats why I made the move. Here is what proper HID and improper HID look like

Proper:

Improper:

You can tell the difference. Certain cars like the older TL, CL, and escalade run HID lights without projectors, but their headlights were specifically designed for the light output of a XENON bulb...its very complex
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Xenon bulbs (20 dollar garbage) are not road legal because they emmit a different light pattern that the headlight housing will reflect in all directions causing glare to other drivers. A real HID system will include bulbs wires ballasts, etc. The kit will set you back about 250-600 dollars depending on the bulb size, brand, and if its a Xenon or Bi-Xenon kit. If you want to do the real HID conversion properly, youd have to get projectors (tsx, tl, s2000) retrofitted into the stock housing because the light beam on HID is not the same as the one on halogen bulbs. Personally I have an HID kit coming for my car, but we already put one in before from a friend's and it had no glare or anything thats why I made the move. Here is what proper HID and improper HID look like
It depends on what your definition of a Xenon bulb is. Xenon is the gas technology used in HID kits, it's not necessarily a cheap and illegal way of doing a conversion. Xenon will obviously look better with clear headlamp lenses and projectors will offer much better visibility (as on most modern cars). Some people are often under the illusion that by buying a pair of 5 bulbs that are tinted blue, from an Auto Factor, they have in bought a set of Xenons. Not true, for obvious reasons, lol. For starters blue bulbs illuminate as a blue light, but the beam pattern isn't great and as soon as you hit some foggy weather the beam bounces straight back at ya!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 09-06-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
It depends on what your definition of a Xenon bulb it. Xenon is the gas technology used in HID kits, it's no necessarily a cheap and illegal way of doing a conversion. Xenon will obviously look better with clear headlamp lenses and projectors will offer much better visibility (as on most modern cars). Some people are often under the illusion that by buying a pair of 5 bulbs that are tinted blue, from an Auto Factor, they have in bought a set of Xenons. Not true, for obvious reasons, lol. For starters blue bulbs illuminate as a blue light, but the beam pattern isn't great and as soon as you hit some foggy weather the beam bounces straight back at ya!
Yea my friend has a golf and thinks they are hot shit like the ignorant and stupid **** that he is.

here is a nice video, from the UK i believe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yea my friend has a golf and thinks they are hot shit like the ignorant and stupid **** that he is.

here is a nice video, from the UK i believe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw
Good video there, yes it's from the UK...My favourite car magazine made the video actually, lol. It might also be worth adding that some Auto shops sell 25% brighter bulbs, now I've never used any myself, but they supposedly use Xenon gas tehnology, and are perfectly legal. They also require no modification to the lighting system. These bulbs are slightly more expensive than standard bulbs, but do offer improved visibility.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Good video there, yes it's from the UK...My favourite car magazine made the video actually, lol. It might also be worth adding that some Auto shops sell 25% brighter bulbs, now I've never used any myself, but they supposedly use Xenon gas tehnology, and are perfectly legal. They also require no modification to the lighting system. These bulbs are slightly more expensive than standard bulbs, but do offer improved visibility.
Here we have those bulbs they are called Sylvania Silverstars available at every car shop for 40 dollars a pair I got mine on sale for 27.99. I like em plenty, but I want better

Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
What
Banned

Quote:
My dad has an '03 Accord and I just started getting interested in cars and he told me that I could do some changes to it so I wanted to start out with something small. I wanted to know if I can switch the regular headlights with HID bulbs or do I need to have some conversion thing? Also, am I supposed to adjust the headlight to legal height by myself?
Talk to 07exlv6, he knows exactly what you're looking for. Here is his 03' Accord with...
Quote:
...8000k HID kit w/ custom fitted projetors...

ASK 07EXLV6...

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/member.php?u=21950
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Talk to 07exlv6, he knows exactly what you're looking for. Here is his 03' Accord with...

ASK 07EXLV6...

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/member.php?u=21950
What it looks like he did was bought projector housings from ebay and had a better and biggerr projector lens put into them such as a TSX one. That is called retrofitting and its the best way to go for cars that do not have HID as OEM

Old 09-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Here is a tip. If you are going to get an HID kit, 5300k is whats used on Mercedes and BMW from factory. I wouldnt go for anything over 6000k because HID works reverse the higher the K rating, they actually lose lumens (brightness), and the color will get you in trouble. 6000k is your best bet for a mix of lumens and color. Plus the police are less likely to notice or bother you I know a guy with a new Si that got stopped for a 12k kit, and thats just going overboard

Old 09-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
07exlv6
CF Enthusiast

hey evreryone, the hadlights that i have on my older accord are not tsx or any other projector they are still the cheap ebay projector but since those projectors are not made to work with hid i had to do some customization such as fitment and aligning....now for my new accord i got the depo headlights (factory design with black housing) and right now in a process of ordering the parts for retro (tl bi-xenon with color shield and a custom shraud)....

so MgsJester what you need to do is get your self a nice plug and play 6000k HID kit and it takes 15 min to put it in ( i agree with new yorker completly, mine is 8000k and it is "stupid ricer" blue, specially since i have color shield) check my cardomain in a sig for pics and vid

...a good kit will cost you around $200, if you want to go with retro its $400-500 to do it your self and around a grand to get them done.

Last edited by 07exlv6 : 09-06-2007 at 06:11 PM.
07exlv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Wow..I didn't know replacing the bulbs could be so expensive..

Anyways, thanks guys for the help..first I need to make some money
Old 09-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
MgsJester
CF Newbie

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

Alright so this is the link to the HID lights that fit my dad's car. Do I buy the conversion kit from somewhere else? Or does Sylvania sell them too?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

Alright so this is the link to the HID lights that fit my dad's car. Do I buy the conversion kit from somewhere else? Or does Sylvania sell them too?
I havent heard of SYlvania HID kits and the link doesnt work, but the Silverstar is a great bulb and for 40 a pair they are great...they are halogen bulbs but they shine white not that yellowish crap you usually get stock.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Oh okay. So now I know that I can get the Sylvania bulbs. Does anyone know where I can get a conversion kit for the '03 Accord EX V6 Sedan? And it has to be a legal one..hehe..
Old 09-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Oh okay. So now I know that I can get the Sylvania bulbs. Does anyone know where I can get a conversion kit for the '03 Accord EX V6 Sedan? And it has to be a legal one..hehe..
To answer your question honestly, there is no legal HID conversion. It is illegal to modify the lighting of a car in any way at least in PA. If you just plug in the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, you dont need any kind of conversion, they are a plug and play type deal, wont melt your wiring, or anything of that nature, so they are your best bet on a budget...I had them and loved them