Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Puddjuice
CF Newbie

Power steering problem on a 99 Sable

I found a thread on a 99 Taurus and the problem sounded identical to mine but a new Rack and Pinion fixed their problem, mine on the other hand has been a handful. From the beginning....it slowly started off whining and squealing and after a few days it got louder and harder to turn. The power steering fluid was pumping the opposite way out of the reservoir. A mechanic replaced the pump 3 times with no luck, the fluid kept coming out from under the cap on the reservoir. They checked all of the lines and sprayed air through them to check for blocks. I then had the rack replaced to end the problem because it was the only thing left to fix. Well I still have no power steering with a new pump and rack while the fluid continues to come out of the reservoir.
Puddjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddjuice
I found a thread on a 99 Taurus and the problem sounded identical to mine but a new Rack and Pinion fixed their problem, mine on the other hand has been a handful. From the beginning....it slowly started off whining and squealing and after a few days it got louder and harder to turn. The power steering fluid was pumping the opposite way out of the reservoir. A mechanic replaced the pump 3 times with no luck, the fluid kept coming out from under the cap on the reservoir. They checked all of the lines and sprayed air through them to check for blocks. I then had the rack replaced to end the problem because it was the only thing left to fix. Well I still have no power steering with a new pump and rack while the fluid continues to come out of the reservoir.
...Oh boy...
If you have bubbles in your fluid, bubbly fluid, or whatever, you're probably is most likely a leak.

Bubbles? Yes? No?