Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Arrow What's the best source for speakers online?

Looking to put a little system into my 2000 Sonata.

I'm looking at Crutchfield right now which was recomended to me. Can anyone recomend any other sites for speakers? Or better yet some awesomely cheap but sexily sweet sounding speakers.

Also, I've never purchased speakers before, I'm completely ignorant. Are there generic speakers that don't suck? Are there even generics? You know, like generic cereal. General Mills might make it but then Stop 'n Shop calls it Stop and Chomps...?

Yeah. Help me out, for Christmas' sake.

3xBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
3xBeam
CF Newbie

No one has any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman

I got my Blaunpunkt (sp) 6.5 speakers on ebay for 20 a pair. Also running an older model one of a kind eclipse sub, kenwood amp, and a sealed box. Its a great setup overall, has the quality of a home theater system, doesnt sound like a rap concert down the block.

This is my old setup, it was too loud for my liking
http://travel.webshots.com/album/556151111cMwdRM

Here is the new
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/561859956TJHlLA

Ive used many speakers, found them all to be according to price. The 20 dollar jensens from circuit city were decent, but then my 100 a pair pioneers were better. These blaupunkt (sp) were on sale from some seller, and are generally a very good brand. If money isnt a limit, go for the best of the best. Ive seen them up to 1000 a pair.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 12-23-2007 at 09:17 PM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I don't know much about speakers, but in general the way to get a good price on a good product is to do research. Find a speaker that you really want, then go on ebay and find a highly rated seller who does primarily audio stuff. Ask him what his bottom line is for the speakers that you want. Chances are he'll be able to beat major retailers by a lot, and if he's got a good feedback rating you can trust him. I find customer service from ebay sellers is much better than major retailers for the most part.

Last edited by giant016 : 12-24-2007 at 04:34 AM.
giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

IMHO, if you want to find "sexy sounding speakers" take a trip to the local audio stores. What I may find amazing might not to the next person.

As for recommendations, look to the Alpine S or R series speakers, or Pioneer, and possibly Clarion or Concept. Avoid Rockford Fosgate Punch, they sound very metallic/tinny. Most generic speakers (Pyle, Pyramid, Ultimate, Shaker, blah blah blah) are pretty pitiful.

Try this site out too: http://www.gooddeals18.com/
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Lightbulb

Thanks guys.

Are any of you actually knowledgable regarding speakers?

I have a couple of question and will use this thread if possible.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xBeam
Thanks guys.

Are any of you actually knowledgable regarding speakers?

I have a couple of question and will use this thread if possible.
ask away i have some nkowledge about it

Old 12-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
adamc44
CF Freak

i go through on crutchfield, find what i want, then search for it on ebay.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
ask away i have some knowledge about it

Ok... how do I find out what my original Reciever is putting out? I'm going to start off with two new front speakers. I need to know what kind of power the reciever is putting out.

Also, are there any generic brands that are actually nice? Like "Pyramid"?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xBeam
Ok... how do I find out what my original Reciever is putting out? I'm going to start off with two new front speakers. I need to know what kind of power the reciever is putting out.

Also, are there any generic brands that are actually nice? Like "Pyramid"?
Heard of Pyramid, pretty sure its crap. Most generic recievers will put out 40-45 watts per speaker. My stereo is set up for 50x4 (meaning 50 watts to 4 speakers) from an aftermarket headunit. When you get speakers that are say 150 watts, they will only put out as much as your reciever can give them. This is when some people who want more sound will amplify their speakers with an AMP, and this is also where quality speakers last, and cheap ones melt...yea ive heard of Jensens melting when they are amped. I would stick with known companies like Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, etc. for stuff...dont get sony speakers though they are crap, as well as amps and subs, their headunits are good, I have one.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

A factory head unit will be lucky to be pushing 14-16 watts RMS per channel. An aftermarket one will be around the 22-25 watt RMS per channel mark.

You also want to make note of the impedance rating of the signal.

Furthermore, a speaker rated for 50 watts RMS and 150 watts RMS could actually produce the same decibel level with correct power. It's highly dependant on the efficiency of the speaker.

For example, a 96db rating on a speaker being driven with 16 watts will sound as loud as a 90db rated speaker with 64 watts being driven at it.

There is no truly generic brand that is any "good"...but some lower-end companies like Clarion, Concept, and Sony do make some decent budget equipment.

Quote:
A bunch of useless ignorant drivel.

Dumbass, dumbass, dumbass. That post deserved a triple-dumbass rating. Please don't even begin to talk about something that you have no actual knowledge on. I dare you to find a sub $500.00 H/U that pushes a TRUE 50x4 watts RMS. Your precious Sony would be hard pressed to be pushing 22x4 RMS.

Furthermore, you didn't really answer his questions. He wants to keep his factory headunit and replace his factory front stage. Not buy an aftermarket headunit, aftermarket speakers, and an amplifier.

So do us a favour and shut up. Thanks
Old 12-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
A factory head unit will be lucky to be pushing 14-16 watts RMS per channel. An aftermarket one will be around the 22-25 watt RMS per channel mark.

You also want to make note of the impedance rating of the signal.

Furthermore, a speaker rated for 50 watts RMS and 150 watts RMS could actually produce the same decibel level with correct power. It's highly dependant on the efficiency of the speaker.

For example, a 96db rating on a speaker being driven with 16 watts will sound as loud as a 90db rated speaker with 64 watts being driven at it.

There is no truly generic brand that is any "good"...but some lower-end companies like Clarion, Concept, and Sony do make some decent budget equipment.

Dumbass, dumbass, dumbass. That post deserved a triple-dumbass rating. Please don't even begin to talk about something that you have no actual knowledge on. I dare you to find a sub $500.00 H/U that pushes a TRUE 50x4 watts RMS. Your precious Sony would be hard pressed to be pushing 22x4 RMS.

Furthermore, you didn't really answer his questions. He wants to keep his factory headunit and replace his factory front stage. Not buy an aftermarket headunit, aftermarket speakers, and an amplifier.

So do us a favour and shut up. Thanks
I wasnt talking about RMS...of course you assumed...dipshit

Old 12-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
I wasnt talking about RMS...of course you assumed...dipshit

Yeah, right, as if you weren't. You didn't even begin to delve into the world of RMS power versus peak power. You see a pretty number on your deck that says 50x4 OMGWOWZORS XPLOD POWER!!!!!111!!!1 and you believe that it is exactly that.

Don't try to tapdance when you're already knee deep in bullshit. It just doesn't work.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Yeah, right, as if you weren't. You didn't even begin to delve into the world of RMS power versus peak power. You see a pretty number on your deck that says 50x4 OMGWOWZORS XPLOD POWER!!!!!111!!!1 and you believe that it is exactly that.

Don't try to tapdance when you're already knee deep in bullshit. It just doesn't work.
I definately wasnt...nice of you to find a convinient time to talk shit. I know perfectly well between RMS and Peak Power though.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
I definately wasnt...nice of you to find a convinient time to talk shit. I know perfectly well between RMS and Peak Power though.

Christ you really must hate the USA.....you talk/write like a foreigner.

"I definately wasnt...nice of you to find a convinient time to talk shit. I know perfectly well between RMS and Peak Power though."

Let's correct this.

"I definitely wasn't...nice of you to find a convenient time to talk shit. I know perfectly well {sic}the difference{sic} between RMS and Peak Power though."

Ahhh, it looks and sounds like english again.

Anyways. Again. Way to dodge everything thrown at you. First I called you out to prove that your precious POS Sony deck pushes that amazing 50 watts into four channels. Yeah...at peak...maybe. But peak is hardly anything to be concerned about, and you never proved it. You come back with some lameass excuse about how you weren't talking about RMS power. No way to back that up, especially with the bullshit in that post.

So I call you out again for having no knowledge. Again, you sidestep this fact, and just come after me for "talking shit". It's not talking shit when I'm speaking truth. Next time prove that you actually have a general idea of what you're actually talking about before you post anything else that could possibly be construed as helpful information in this thread.

Accept it, you fail.

Last edited by dodgerforlife : 12-25-2007 at 11:19 AM.