Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Post How do I make my car last?

Hello,

I have just bought a 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS, featuring a V6 and Automatic Transmission. It has 52,000 miles on it and was a one owner car which appears to be in great condition.

I payed about $6,600 for it, and the dealer I bought it from seems very reputable and he even gave me a 60 day bumper to bumper warranty. I had gone to about 20 dealers and this is the best I've seen for free warranty for a used car.

The car is a great car. 50,000 miles on a 2000. It has a V6, which is great for the price. It was a 1 owner vehicle, which received an oil change every 2500 miles, any time something need to be replaced/repaired it was done right away by the dealer ship. The car came with a 60,000 mile comprehensive "bumper to bumper" warranty when it was originally purchased. The car was extensively maintained. It was kept in a garage, and the woman who owned only drove it about 6,900 miles a year, which is more than 8,000 miles less a year than the average.

The car has all the original panels, having never been in an accident, as evidence by the vin stickers on every piece. As I said it's been in a garage most of its life, and when i debadged/removed the lettering there was no difference in paint color leading me to believe that it was not exposed to too much of the elements.

The car is mint on the inside with the cloth having no stains, and there are no worn spots, even on the door cloth. It has wood trim, including complete center console/radio/ac/ controls. It was never smoked in. The dash, interior door, and steering wheel are all mint with a healthy luster. It also has a CD player, which is a plus. Power windows, locks, mirrors, and cruise.

The engine itself is in good condition, with no audible or visible problems. I listened to the whole thing with a stethoscope at the full range of RPMs. The transmission is strong with no noticeable issues in any shifting between any gears.

Anyway, this is my first nice car and I'm very worried about it. Anxious even. I would like to know what should I be doing to make this car last to 200,000 miles?

Should I give it a tune up? Should I buy any new parts like a new air intake, or perhaps a beefed up alternator? What can I do to avoid problems? What should I be on the look out for?

Thanks a lot!
3xBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Do exactly as the previous owner (supposedly) did. Maintain it properly and routinely...and get rid of it in 50k miles.

A couple of friends of mine haven't had the best of luck with Hyundai's...but that could just be them.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

I have only had one Hyundai. I would not hesitate to buy another.

All manufacturers have gotten to the point their engine blocks are disposable (most pros will not bore out a Ford 4.8L built from 1996 and beyond - cylinder walls are too thin to machine much metal from.)
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
I have only had one Hyundai. I would not hesitate to buy another.

All manufacturers have gotten to the point their engine blocks are disposable (most pros will not bore out a Ford 4.8L built from 1996 and beyond - cylinder walls are too thin to machine much metal from.)
What are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Do exactly as the previous owner (supposedly) did. Maintain it properly and routinely...and get rid of it in 50k miles.
A couple of friends of mine haven't had the best of luck with Hyundai's...but that could just be them.
Really? What type of Hyundais (year/make)?

So there really isn't anything specific I should replace or upgrade? Not even a tune up? Nothing that I should keep an eye on in particular?

I'm very nervous about this. I'd be sick it there was something I could have done to make this car last and just didn't find out about it. I'd actually be despondent.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Like it's been said, do all of the recomended services at the recomended intervals (these may be in your manual, if not a dealship will GLADLY show you).

Being in New England, rust will be a problem. In the winter, even if you don't have time to wash the car, give it a good soak down often to get the salt off.

Keeping an eye on all of the fluid levels is always a good idea as well.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

I honestly cant associate Hyundai with quality, but to make the most of it, just stay on top of the maintenance like others said. Oil, coolant, trans fluid, filters (air, fuel, cabin, oil, trans fluid) brakes, etc. Other than that, there isnt much you can do, if there are going to be problems with the car, there arent many ways of getting around them, the best you can do is perform the maintenance as needed and hope that stuff doesnt go bad. There is no magic additive that will make your motor last longer, so dont look for it.

I know people with all kinds of cars that have had good and bad luck with them. My neighbor has nothing but crap with his Hyundai Santa Fe, and I know others that have no problems at all. I know a lot of people with faulty VWs, and my friend has one that gives him very few problems.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
3xBeam
CF Newbie

I guess I was looking for particular items I should worry about. And whether or not a tune-up or any other preventative maintenance would be proper.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xBeam
I guess I was looking for particular items I should worry about. And whether or not a tune-up or any other preventative maintenance would be proper.
Doing a tune-up will never hurt as long as its done properly.

Oil Change
Spark Plugs
Wires (if applicable)
Fuel Filter
Transmission Fluid (and filter if applicable)
Cabin Air Filter
Air Filter

il find a full list for ya

Also, using synthetic oil, and synthetic transmission fluid (im pretty sure ive seen this in stores), and micronic oil filters can help extend the life of your motor and trans, but again, its not a guarantee, your driving style will also play a large role.

Last edited by newyorker : 12-25-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:26 AM   #9
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Doing a tune-up will never hurt as long as its done properly...I'll find a full list for ya.
Also, using synthetic oil, and synthetic transmission fluid (im pretty sure ive seen this in stores), and micronic oil filters can help extend the life of your motor and trans, but again, its not a guarantee, your driving style will also play a large role.
I have limited auotmotive knowledge. My first car was a 85 Trans Am. I put a 350 in it myself (pre-built) but I I actually installed it, added a new manifold, carb, I put in a transmission, and I did brakes and alternators and etc. That was about 8 years ago (I feel so old I want to die). Anyway I know nothing now. Well I have good instincts and know enough not to kill myself with a wrench but that's about it. I think I can do most things that a tune up consists of, we'll check when you get a list though , and I can follow directions semi-ok. Can I do a tune-up myself, or would it be considered "not done properly"?

My previous car was a 1999 Olds Alero. I got 205,000 miles and I traded it in for 200 bucks when I bought this Sonata. I got the car from my Mom, who had gotten it from her company, meaning it was under warranty and regularly serviced. I got the car at 120,000. I beat it for about 30,000 miles before I smartened the f*ck up and realized I need a car, and it's mentally retarded to beat on your own car. So I think now I drive ok. But can you give me a quick definition of a good "style of driving"? I have an idea of what you're going to say but still...

Anyway I took it to the garage down the street for all the repairs. The prices are reasonable and I 85% trust the mechanic. He did help me make the car live to 205,000. And if I could have opened the hood and changed the oil I would have kept it! IT was still running ok. So I can always take the Sonata to these people. However,r I'd like to save money and do it myself. So yeah... think I can do it?

Now I don't want to be a rice jockey or anything but what about upgrades? Like if I put in an air filter, like this one, is it good for the car? Any other "upgrades" that would actually benefit me? I'm not opposed to spending 100 bucks if it helps my car in performance, or longevity.

lol I have more questions if anyone here is willing to help! I apprecaite your help so far NewYorker. You are the first person from NY that I haven't wanted to bludgen. I'm joking, sort of. I am wondering about keyless entry. I'm pretty sure that my car is already set up for a keyless entry, but how would I check? Is this keyless entry legit? Seems so cheap, it says it includes programming instructions. If this really works why don't car thieves do this?

Thanks again!

Last edited by 3xBeam : 12-25-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
thefonz
CF Addict

Those remotes are used, so, buyer beware. Although he has a high percentage of good feedback, he still has forty-some negative in the last 12 months. The dealer should be able to tell you by your VIN number if it came with keyless entry from the factory. You could also check with keyless ride to compare the cost.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:29 AM   #11
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
Those remotes are used, so, buyer beware. Although he has a high percentage of good feedback, he still has forty-some negative in the last 12 months. The dealer should be able to tell you by your VIN number if it came with keyless entry from the factory. You could also check with keyless ride to compare the cost.
I bought my car from a wholesaler who bought it from an auction. Is there a website where i can find out, using my vin number?

What's "Keyless Ride"?

And is it really as easy as buying it off ebay and punching in something via the program sheet? Why don't thieves do this?

Last edited by 3xBeam : 12-25-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Most cars - these are intervals

Lube oil and filter - 3000 miles-6000 miles depending on how you drive
plugs - 30K - 60K miles
plug wires - 60Kmiles
tranny fluid - 60K
timing belt - 60K miles
fuel filter - 50K miles
air cleaner - when dirty
change antifreeze/flush cooling system - 36 K miles - 50 K miles depending on OEM antifreeze used.

inspect brake pads/shoes - every other oil change or anytime tires are off of the car - replace as required

keep the car washed and waxed.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:02 AM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I have limited auotmotive knowledge. My first car was a 85 Trans Am. I put a 350 in it myself (pre-built) but I I actually installed it, added a new manifold, carb, I put in a transmission, and I did brakes and alternators and etc. That was about 8 years ago (I feel so old I want to die). Anyway I know nothing now. Well I have good instincts and know enough not to kill myself with a wrench but that's about it. I think I can do most things that a tune up consists of, we'll check when you get a list though , and I can follow directions semi-ok. Can I do a tune-up myself, or would it be considered "not done properly"?
As long as you torque everything down properly and such, there arent many things that can go wrong. Most things dont go in backwards and such. My suggestion is to grab a Hayne's Manual, it has a load of information about procedures for the car it applies to, and is only about 15 bucks. Cant go wrong with that, and it has all of the torque specs, fluid capacities, troubleshooting, etc.

Quote:
My previous car was a 1999 Olds Alero. I got 205,000 miles and I traded it in for 200 bucks when I bought this Sonata. I got the car from my Mom, who had gotten it from her company, meaning it was under warranty and regularly serviced. I got the car at 120,000. I beat it for about 30,000 miles before I smartened the f*ck up and realized I need a car, and it's mentally retarded to beat on your own car. So I think now I drive ok. But can you give me a quick definition of a good "style of driving"? I have an idea of what you're going to say but still...
Well...I beat the snot out of my car, but I can fix most of the stuff that goes wrong, if needed with the help of a friend. A "good driving style" I would say is just driving like a sensible human being...it should be kinda common sense.

Quote:
Anyway I took it to the garage down the street for all the repairs. The prices are reasonable and I 85% trust the mechanic. He did help me make the car live to 205,000. And if I could have opened the hood and changed the oil I would have kept it! IT was still running ok. So I can always take the Sonata to these people. However,r I'd like to save money and do it myself. So yeah... think I can do it?
85% only?? What about the rest?? . An oil change and brakes and such are fairly simple things to do, if you have any trouble getting through them, your handy Hayne's Manual will certainly help guide you along.

Quote:
Now I don't want to be a rice jockey or anything but what about upgrades? Like if I put in an air filter, like this one, is it good for the car? Any other "upgrades" that would actually benefit me? I'm not opposed to spending 100 bucks if it helps my car in performance, or longevity.
Air filters...I would stick with a stock paper, or get a K&N drop-in, its reusable and flows a bit better. Spending money on maintenance will go a long way..synthetic oil for example can not only help the motor last longer, but give slightly better MPG as well. That intake may help a bit, but not much, I had a coldair system on my car and it worked, but that was a cold air, this is just an open filter..itl be a bit louder and a bit more economical, but you can get the same economy from a $50 drop-in K&N without the noise.

Quote:
lol I have more questions if anyone here is willing to help! I apprecaite your help so far NewYorker. You are the first person from NY that I haven't wanted to bludgen. I'm joking, sort of. I am wondering about keyless entry. I'm pretty sure that my car is already set up for a keyless entry, but how would I check? Is this keyless entry legit? Seems so cheap, it says it includes programming instructions. If this really works why don't car thieves do this?

Thanks again!
Thats because I'm not from New York, I'm actually from Philadelphia lol. For a car alarm, I took my car into Circuit City, paid them, and got everything done..I didnt want to mess with all of the wires and such, from them I got a good price, a good unit (Python 640), and a warranty on the install.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #14
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
...you can get the same economy from a $50 drop-in K&N without the noise.
....I'm not from New York, I'm actually from Philadelphia lol. For a car alarm, I took my car into Circuit City, paid them, and got everything done..I didnt want to mess with all of the wires and such, from them I got a good price, a good unit (Python 640), and a warranty on the install.
Just ask for a K&N filter at Autozone?

And I'm talking about just keyless entry, I don't need an alarm. Just don't want to have to use the locks via a key. I broke the drive door lock on my alero on a cold day, and I was pissed.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:36 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Just ask for a K&N filter at Autozone?

And I'm talking about just keyless entry, I don't need an alarm. Just don't want to have to use the locks via a key. I broke the drive door lock on my alero on a cold day, and I was pissed.

Thanks.
Yea they will ask you what car you have, and give u the filter for it...it should be between 40 and 50 dollars

Well most alarms feature a keyless entry system...i dont recall any other kind