Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 03:13 AM   #1
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Question Tire Pressure

Hello.

I am trying to figure out the best pressure to fill my tires to. I'm not just talking about the recommended proper inflation, I'm asking if what the BEST inflation is. I'm looking for good gas mileage first, performance secondly, and safety last. What pressure should I use? What about front or back? Different pressures for each tire (probably not!)?

I have a 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS.

Thanks, per usual, I appreciate the help.
3xBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:28 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

The best tire pressure is the recommended pressure--supposing you are using manufacturer recommended tire sizes.. The car companies don't just make those numbers up, they tell you the best pressure for fuel efficiency and safety.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xBeam
Hello.

I am trying to figure out the best pressure to fill my tires to. I'm not just talking about the recommended proper inflation, I'm asking if what the BEST inflation is. I'm looking for good gas mileage first, performance secondly, and safety last. What pressure should I use? What about front or back? Different pressures for each tire (probably not!)?

They usually have the numbers posted on a sticker on the inside of the door...they pretty much give you performance, safety, and economy all rounded into one handy number. There really is no best, it depends on the tires and a lot of other things. Just dont keep them underinflated, it will ruin performance, economy, safety, and wear them unevenly...and if they are overinflated, it will still wear uneven, not sure about performance, economy, and safety though. Personally for my summer performance 40 series tires, I keep them at 35psi instead of the 32psi posted on the door cause its a diff size, and a diff kinda tire...

just follow the sticker. Check more regularly when its colder, or a quick drop in temps, I find that around that time, tire pressure tends to drop.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

just keep inflating until they blow apart in your face, then at least you won't kill anyone else when you spin out of control. on the less serious side, the max pressure you can inflate your tires to is stamped in the side of the tire, the ideal pressure is posted in the owners manual and on the door.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
They usually have the numbers posted on a sticker on the inside of the door...they pretty much give you performance, safety, and economy all rounded into one handy number. There really is no best, it depends on the tires and a lot of other things. Just dont keep them underinflated, it will ruin performance, economy, safety, and wear them unevenly...and if they are overinflated, it will still wear uneven, not sure about performance, economy, and safety though. Personally for my summer performance 40 series tires, I keep them at 35psi instead of the 32psi posted on the door cause its a diff size, and a diff kinda tire...

just follow the sticker. Check more regularly when its colder, or a quick drop in temps, I find that around that time, tire pressure tends to drop.

Over-inflation will affect the cars idle and handling. As the car is driven and the tires heat up, the air expands and the pressure increases (remember PV=nRT from high school chemistry or physics class - the volume can't change much, n and R are constants thus the only thing which changes as the temperature increases in the tire is its pressure) - in addition to the handling and ride issues, the tire becomes more susceptable to a blow out
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Hello.

Tire safety being last is pretty irresponsible. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I don't care if you die, but don't take innocent people with you.

I tire blowing out not only endangers you and your passengers, but everybody on the road.

If you want the best economy than overinflating your tires is what you're looking for. Unfortunatly for you, your tires will wear out unevenly/prematurely and it will end up costing you more in the long run, in addtion to the huge safety problem.

For straight line performance you generally want a softer tire, so: underinflated. Riding like this for more than a few miles i pretty dumb though, your economy will suck, uneven tread wear, and probably damaging something.

For handling generally you want a stiffer sidewall, so overinflating can be beneficial. However, do to safety problems and shitty wear, don't do it anywhere but the autoX course.

Once again, don't be a dumbass trying to save a few dollars by overinflating tires. It doesn't make sense on any level, and you're endangering innocent people.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Over-inflation will affect the cars idle and handling. As the car is driven and the tires heat up, the air expands and the pressure increases (remember PV=nRT from high school chemistry or physics class - the volume can't change much, n and R are constants thus the only thing which changes as the temperature increases in the tire is its pressure) - in addition to the handling and ride issues, the tire becomes more susceptable to a blow out
how would it change the idle though??

Old 01-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #8
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
how would it change the idle though??

I had a brain fart
Old 01-01-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Hello.

Safety last? Moron.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Yea doing it right the first time is important, I can speak from recent experience. If my buddy joe had replaced his stock shocks on his S2000 when he lowered it, he might not have bottomed out, and I would be celebrating new years with him today, instead im waiting to go to his funeral

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=29149

Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
3xBeam
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Safety last? Moron.
I was talking about the tires. I'm actually a professional amateur stunt driver on open courses. I can handle an automobile. I once held a 95 T-Bird sideways for a full mile...in the snow on Rt 3. And it did switch sides about 10 times but still, the car wasn't straight for more than 2 seconds.

It's a record, the state trooper told me so!

Anyway the point is, I can handle 4 blown tires....moron.
3xBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I was talking about the tires. I'm actually a professional amateur stunt driver on open courses. I can handle an automobile. I once held a 95 T-Bird sideways for a full mile...in the snow on Rt 3. And it did switch sides about 10 times but still, the car wasn't straight for more than 2 seconds.

If you were a "professional amateur" you wouldnt be asking us these questions...I call BS on everything you just said.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
I'm actually a professional amateur stunt driver on open courses.
If you were a golfer, you could enter Pro-Am tournaments - on your own
Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #14
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

Most professional drivers like to manage their risks. Most professional stunt drivers are smart enough not to do this stupid stuff on public roads.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #15
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:

I sure hope you're joking. I struggle to remain in the middle of the pack in novice racing and even I have agood idea about the answer. Furthermore, nobody can completely handle a blowout safely 100% of the time, you don't know when it's going to happen. Changing CD's while driving in the snow on a highway...good luck.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote