Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
Carl172
CF Newbie

How to detail your car

This forum isn't worthy of my posts

Last edited by Carl172 : 10-30-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Carl172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl172
2) Wash
Use a pressure washer, or go to a "touchless" car wash, where only water hits your car. Make sure you get the wheels, and wheelwells. Now would be a great time to detail your engine bay as well. Just spray the whole thing with Simple Green, and spray off with a pressure washer. Wipe everything down, and run the engine for ten minutes to dry everything off.
In the future, if you intend to contribute, please make sure you have something worth contributing... Or more specifically, that the information that you contribute is correct. NEVER EVER pressure wash the exterior finish of your car. The high pressure water spray will drive any dirt or foreign material on the paint, into the paint. Once you've embedded dirt (sand, salt, bird shit, etc) into the finish, it is damaged forever and can only be repaired by removing the affected area(s) and refinishing.

The proper way to wash a car is with an automotive style washing solution, not dish soap or other harsh chemicals. Always have lots of fresh water to flush the area of dirty soap and water. A natural sponge is your best friend, however a high quality synthetic sponge or soft terry towel is okay. And now for the secret that pinheads like you won't understand or accept.

Start from the bottom and wash up. By starting at the top and washing down, the loosened dirt actually accumulates on top of the existing dirt below it and increases the chance of paint damage. Like it or don't this is a proven concept and fact.

Bottom line is that of you want to f*ck up your own paint job, have a nut. But don't tell others how to do it in the name of "how to detail their car".

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
Carl172
CF Newbie

In the future, if you intend to contribute, please stick it up your ass.

I came to contribute an article and get some ideas flowing. Not have someone tell me what I'm posting isn't worth contributing.

Last edited by Carl172 : 10-30-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Carl172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Carl172
CF Newbie

Actually I take back what I said. This forum isn't shitty because of the lack of activity, it's the lack of respect from boneheads like vwhobo. This forum isn't going anywhere because there aren't enough mods to keep people like him outta here.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
In the future, if you intend to contribute, please stick it up your ass.

I came to contribute an article and get some ideas flowing. Not have someone tell me what I'm posting isn't worth contributing.
Whiney f*cking douche bag. Read the last sentence in your first post. Here, I'll make it simple for a mouth breather like you;

Quote:
If you have any other tips please feel free to post them here.
I posted my tip. If it wasn't clear enough, let me recap. If you want to be a moron and damage your own car go ahead, but don't pretend to help others and then do just the opposite. Here's another tip specifically for you. STFU. Consider that your second free tip of the day.

P.S. I noticed that you are unable to take issue with the body of my initial post, just the fact that I hurt your feelings. Toughen up Twinkie. Life is hard, and it's even harder being an idiot like you.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Well he's right and I really dont think you should be posting on how to detail a car.

You left too much out.
Never wash or scrub in circles, can cause swirl marks.
If you drop a clay bar, Its trash, throw it away immediately.
MEchanical Polishing?
Never use a silicone based product (Turtle Was ICE for exampl) can cause yellowing of the clearcoat over time.
Also spraying your engine bay can be very harmful to some cars, always do research first. (LT1s for examply cant get water on the optispark or youll be buying a 500 dollar part)

Like vwhobo said a natural sponge is good, so is high quality microfiber.
To avoid swirls its also a good idea to dry with a shammy or something of the like, I prefer a leaf blower.

Theres way more to it than you listed.

Id recommend contacting a professional detailer and getting some tips.

Also Ive noticed, that armorall and the tire shine stuff attracts dirt pretty quick and will turn your tires brown (its not permanent or anythign) so I always use a seperate old sponge and jsut wash the tires of really good, with a seperate soap solution, they wont have the shine but they will still look pretty good. At a car show though the tire shine does give a little extra pop especially on a dark car.

On the interior I dont use amorall, Ive been told by a handful of detailers that it draws heat and can cause cracks in some dashs ovre time, I just use a soft rag and windex, finish seems to last longer and it doesnt attract dust as bad.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
Carl172
CF Newbie

Alright well at least thanks for some info.

Better than VWdick throwing around insults when he could try to help out instead.

I knew I couldn't cover everything in one post, there's too much. I was trying to get some ideas flowing.

I'll be sticking to better moderated boards where they keep the trash out.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 AM   #8
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Alright well at least thanks for some info.

Better than VWdick throwing around insults when he could try to help out instead.

I knew I couldn't cover everything in one post, there's too much. I was trying to get some ideas flowing.

I'll be sticking to better moderated boards where they keep the trash out.
I dont think you could cut it here anyways, if your gonna get all bet the hell outta shape after like 7 posts.

You wont be missed
Old 10-30-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

When I had my car professionally detailed I spent the day at the guys house and watched as he did it. first he used a pressure washer but not at high pressure just as a hose to spray a soapy solution on the car and let it sit for a few minutes, then washed away at low pressure, then he went over the whole car bottom up using a wash mitt and cleaned it regularly with a grit guard at the bottom of the bucket to make sure it was dirt free. only after that did he use high pressure to wash the stuff off, then clay, polish, and Zymol Carbon I think it was...turned out great
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
What
Banned

THIS is a Professional Detail

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...585#post462585
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
adamc44
CF Freak

if you go to wal mart, they have a bug scrubber, its a sponge that is wrapped in a cloth netting deal, i usually spray down the front with something like simple green and let it sit for a few minutes, bugs generally come off pretty easy(i also spray the tires and rims down and let them soak, gets tire shine and brake dust/dirt off before i scrub them). i also shoot some black spray paint in the wheel wells takes about 2 or 3 cans to do it good. if ya got plastic wheel covers, ill reshoot those with some silver spray paint. if i do much scrubbing inside ill shoot some febreeze in the vehicle.

when i buff i use this stuff...
it lasts forever.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 AM   #12
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
This forum isn't worthy of my posts

What a b*tch. A few people argue your post so you complain and delete it. You'll get nowhere in life.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:01 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
10 hours?! I wonder how much something like that would set you back.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Dude I would not recommend putting simple green on your paint.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
aarathi
CF Newbie

Washing the car has been an American tradition for decades, but more and more of today's cars are getting the deluxe treatment known as auto detailing.
More than simply washing the exterior of your car with soapy water and a rag, or swiping the interior with Armor All and a vacuum, detailing means just what it says: focusing on and cleaning the tiny details of your car to take it from "clean" to "sparkling like new."