Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Dude as long as you dont put up a front and act big cause your parents got you a car, and drive realizing that its a sports car and isnt exactly your typical toyota camry you are ok
and yet you choose to immediately assume the worst of him first... and THEN give him a chance afterwards....
Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #17
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY
Well, my parents aren't big car people, and they don't really judge car safety and reliability by models, but by make. If a single car make has a bad reputation, they won't buy any of those cars.

And while I agree with you that coupes may not be the safest cars around, what would you consider the safest sports car there is?

I never really liked the G35, and I'm not sure what my parents think of Infiniti. I kind of consider it the luxury side of the 350z.

There is no such thing as "safest"; not in my mind. Crash tests aside... I had a friend crash in her Navigator and just about all 3 passengers broke something. My cousin was t-boned in an Integra by a Ford Explorer. The car was double impacted by a car and a street pole. It took the fire department 25+ minutes to rip the car apart with the jaws of life and get him out. Not one scratch on his body.

Safe is dependent upon the driver and sometimes a few other uncontrollable factors. If you're respecting the laws of the road and hell the laws of physics then you can be safe in just about anything. Crash test ratings are nice to know, but they are a false sense of security that car companies leverage to increase sales. Granted there are a few situations in life where accidents are unavoidable and it helps to have something that won't crumple up like a soggy cookie in milk.

That doesn't negate the fact that general common sense should be used when driving. If you're out on the road doing something you have no business doing, then the only stars that can save your life will be the one that pulls you over.

IMO, buying something that you feel comfortable driving is a hell of a lot more important. Won't do you any good if you drive the car awkwardly. I like the 350Z, but if you're vertically challenged it may not be the best choice due to the low seat height and generally difficult viewing angles. You'd have to test drive the cars to understand what you like.. sh*t... you have to acually LEARN how to drive first.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 AM   #18
TWiTCHY
CF Newbie

Quote:
Dude as long as you dont put up a front and act big cause your parents got you a car, and drive realizing that its a sports car and isnt exactly your typical toyota camry you are ok

Now that's what my friends do. One of them is getting their dad's Mercedes S500, and he's all "it's the best thing around!" Last time I checked, that car was around $80,000 at the time, I think. If I did try to act big, I wouldn't be any bigger than an ant to them with an Asian sports car.

And again, I'm not the person that likes to show off his car - in fact, I'm afraid to. This place is crazy. You'll never know what the guy your taunting will do around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Safe is dependent upon the driver and sometimes a few other uncontrollable factors. If you're respecting the laws of the road and hell the laws of physics then you can be safe in just about anything. Crash test ratings are nice to know, but they are a false sense of security that car companies leverage to increase sales. Granted there are a few situations in life where accidents are unavoidable and it helps to have something that won't crumple up like a soggy cookie in milk.

IMO, buying something that you feel comfortable driving is a hell of a lot more important. Won't do you any good if you drive the car awkwardly. I like the 350Z, but if you're vertically challenged it may not be the best choice due to the low seat height and generally difficult viewing angles. You'd have to test drive the cars to understand what you like.. sh*t... you have to acually LEARN how to drive first.

Wow, I never really thought of it that way. I think I'll have to consider my choice on these factors you've pointed out.

Last edited by TWiTCHY : 01-10-2008 at 03:23 AM.
TWiTCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 AM   #19
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
and yet you choose to immediately assume the worst of him first... and THEN give him a chance afterwards....
its just my way
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #20
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
its just my way
So you won't mind if we assume the worst of you the first time you say something then?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #21
Cliffy
CF Loafer

It's so easy to stereotype youngsters that are lucky enough to have money in tgheir family. I have seen alot worse threads than this none...He seems almost sane.

I'd personally go for the 128i, as it's not so much of a sports car that you'll be getting pulled over by the Police every 100-yards, and as with most modern cars, safety has been addressed well. Did BMW bring the 130i to the States?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #22
TWiTCHY
CF Newbie

I believe they will only release the 128i and 135i in the US during spring of this year.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I believe they will only release the 128i and 135i in the US during spring of this year.

I wonder why BMW calls them 28 and 35 even though they both have 3.0L I6 engines in them?

Anywhos, that 335xi coupe in jet black is mine come graduation in the spring. Something about AWD, turbocharged, coupes gets me wet behind the ears and knowing that I can finally afford a $50,000 car gets me moist too...

Now that I think about it. All the BMW's either have a 3.0, 4.8 or 6.0 .... well except the M's which have the 5.0 V10 and the 3.2 I6. 335, 540, 328. BMW has been lying!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:50 AM   #24
TWiTCHY
CF Newbie

So if I do get a BMW 1 series, I plan on keeping it until it gets bland. After the warranty runs out, it's all mine to tinker with.

Do you think companies will begin to make aftermarket parts after its release?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #25
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
So if I do get a BMW 1 series, I plan on keeping it until it gets bland. After the warranty runs out, it's all mine to tinker with.

Do you think companies will begin to make aftermarket parts after its release?

You can "tinker" with the car when the warranty is still in effect. In fact, it would probably be to your advantage to do so while the car is still covered under factory warranty.

People tend to confuse what actually can void a warranty. An auto manufacturer has to prove that the item you installed caused the failure of said part in order to annul their original agreement of the warranty.

That being said, installing an intake or exhaust on your brand new 1-series couldn't interfere with BMW replacing your transmission if it went out. There is no logical way to suggest that an exhaust or intake could have caused damage to the transmission...