Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Jacsonhussay
CF Newbie

Can anyone help me?

Hey Guys,

I'll be visiting to USA soon. I already have my international driver's license. But I am not aware of traffic rules in USA. Does any one know from where I can get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car etc? If you people have some ideas, please help me.
But be true to your word, as I don’t want it to be “blind leading the blind”

Thanks for your time.
Jacsonhussay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

What state are you visiting? Certain states have slightly different rules than others, for example in Pennsylvania we have the "no turn on red" signs in certain places, but I was told that in New York, the "no turn on red" rule applies everywhere, that they dont have signs for it.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
lecchilo
CF Newbie

http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/driving.html

Other than that it's extremely easy to follow US laws... I don't remember anything from taking driver education in school since it's just common sense...
obey the speed limits -- in Chicago, the usual street limit is 30 or 35 on some larger streets, 20-25 on smaller and one-way streets, every highway in Chicago-area is 55mph speed limit, but it's almost 100% safe to drive 60-65 next to police without consequences... on the street, 2-3mph is most you want to go over speed limit, 5 is risking it big time in most places
green=go, yellow=don't get stuck in middle of intersection during yellow because you'll either 1. get hit by a car who's going fast on the other street and just catches the green, or 2. you'll get a ticked in the mail and a photo of your car going through red, red= no go.
pedestrians, as dumb as they are 95% of the time, have all the rights and you're screwed if you even complain about one crossing the street at the wrong time, etc.
lastly, PLEASE WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES.... I ride almost daily and the amount of carelessness and stupidity on the road is beyond me... don't get me wrong, I'm 23 and have a nice, somewhat fast car (BMW 328i) and while I do drive fast on the highway, take some nice corners with a good speed, etc. and while I've had my share of tickets at a younger age for speeding, I'm always watching around me and do stupid stuff when there's no one there... other drivers I see are putting their make-up on, shaving, brushing their teeth, READING A BOOK!!...the list goes on

Sorry a little venting haha... good luck with the driving buddy
Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

When you arrive go to your area's DMV or RMV. It will varry state-to-state, but here in MA they have booklets for drivers who are going to be taken their written exam. It has all the things you need to know.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Malina_mark
CF Newbie

Re: Can anyone help me?

Hi,

First of all, welcome to US, the country that is always on the move. It is good that you have an international driving license. Here we drive on the left side of the road. Do some webs search on traffic rules and signs so that you can be familiar with the rules of the road. If you want to get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car, speed cameras and the most important thing, which we all fear i.e. hidden cops who can catch you any where and that too red handed, have a look at ***************** really gets you going on the roads with a confidence.
Wish u a safe driving.

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 01-10-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Malina_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malina_mark
Hi,

First of all, welcome to US, the country that is always on the move. It is good that you have an international driving license. Here we drive on the left side of the road. Do some webs search on traffic rules and signs so that you can be familiar with the rules of the road. If you want to get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car, speed cameras and the most important thing, which we all fear i.e. hidden cops who can catch you any where and that too red handed, have a look at http://www.trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php.It really gets you going on the roads with a confidence.
Wish u a safe driving.
Actually, everywhere I have been in the US, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road

Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Actually, everywhere I have been in the US, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road
You know what they say about guys who drive on the left side of the road...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
Melonsgurl88
CF Newbie

just dont take the cops gun and you will be okay hahahah
Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
You know what they say about guys who drive on the left side of the road...
no i dont...what do they say...tell me tell me

Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
no i dont...what do they say...tell me tell me
...Same thing they say about guys with an earring on their left.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

So what do they say about young men who are fascinated with the cars that come from countries whom drive on the left?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 AM   #12
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
hmmm.... down here... it's the right... must be to do with where we drive.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
So what do they say about young men who are fascinated with the cars that come from countries whom drive on the left?
I'm sure your parents will love you just the same...JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
hmmm.... down here... it's the right... must be to do with where we drive.
So I may be onto something lol.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #14
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malina_mark
Hi,

First of all, welcome to US, the country that is always on the move. It is good that you have an international driving license. Here we drive on the left side of the road. Do some webs search on traffic rules and signs so that you can be familiar with the rules of the road. If you want to get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car, speed cameras and the most important thing, which we all fear i.e. hidden cops who can catch you any where and that too red handed, have a look at http://www.trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php.It really gets you going on the roads with a confidence.
Wish u a safe driving.

You must have not driven in the U.S. very long or you would have already been placed in a body bag in a morgue or spending several days in an intensive care unit at some trauma center - consequences of driving on the left side of the road in the U.S. while the rest of the country drives on the right hand side.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacsonhussay
Hey Guys,

I'll be visiting to USA soon. I already have my international driver's license. But I am not aware of traffic rules in USA. Does any one know from where I can get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car etc? If you people have some ideas, please help me.
But be true to your word, as I don’t want it to be “blind leading the blind”

Thanks for your time.

Most U.S. states have driving handbooks / manuals which can be found on line. These will give you details about right turn on red, etc.

Most areas of the U.S. strictly enforce the following laws -

-intoxicated (drunk) driving or driving under the influence of drugs (penalties range from stiff fines to loss of your car and from 2 to 10 days in jail for the first offense depending on where you are caught)
- speeding in school zones during the times specified on the sign or while the warning lights are flashing. Some states classify speeding in school zones as reckless driving with stiff fines and license suspension.
- Many small towns and congested urban areas strictly enforce speed laws and following distance laws - fines range from $75 - $400 depending on where you are caught and how fast you were driving in excess of the speed limit.
- No radar detectors in Virginia and several other states. Getting caught in Virginia with a radar detector will lead to you having your radar detector confiscated and fines.
- Be careful around red lights - many cities have photo enforcement for traffic signals and speeding in certain locations

drive on the right hand side of the road, watch the neighborhoods you are in if you are unfamiliar with the area and make sure you have good directions (especially if driving multi-lane expressways found in major U.S. cities such as Atlanta, New York, etc)
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote