Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
captkirk
CF Newbie

can I use my all season tires.

Do I need snow tires or is my new BF GOODRIDGE TA HR15 all season tires good enough in the winter since I live in south westchester (suburb 20 miles north of New York city-- manhattan). I will drive my car 11 miles to/from work on the Bronx River pkway (job is in the bronx). This highway always get salted. I wont drive in 1 foot of snow.

Last edited by captkirk : 01-17-2008 at 10:41 AM.
captkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk
Do I need snow tires or is my new BF GOODRIDGE TA HR15 all season tires good enough in the winter since I live in south westchester (suburb 20 miles north of New York city-- manhattan). I will drive my car 11 miles to/from work on the Bronx River pkway (job is in the bronx). This highway always get salted. I wont drive in 1 foot of snow.
All season tires are usually sufficient for this area, as long as you don't live up some dirt road that doesn't get plowed all year. 11 miles is not a long commute, so as long as all 4 of your tires have a descent amount of meat on them you should be fine. Of course it doesn't hurt to carry a shovel and some salt in your trunk for that day when they forget to plow your street. Getting snow tires isn't as easy as it sounds. Unless you get another set of wheels to put them on, every spring and every fall you have to have the other tires mounted and balanced.