Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #31
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Plain and simple domestic performance cars can go faster before turn 1 for the same invested in an import.

Fixed.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:41 AM   #32
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Fixed.
Says the one with the slow Si
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #33
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yeah, but for the price of a 2005 NSX, I could buy 2 2005 Corvettes lol.
Yes but when you get an NSX you get an NSX, youre not just another yuppy with a mohawk and 8 cylinders, not that the vette is a bad car, but its just a fact..NSX is more exclusive, looks better IMO, and just overall tickles me more..and everyone I know..besides I dont think a non Z06 or ZR1 (coming soon I hope) vette is a waste of money

Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #34
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
No im sure an NSX with the money invested to match the price of a corvette will demolish it

Uh C5s are not expensive at all.

And it takers ALOT of money to mod an NSX. And you dont get much from them.

Their is a saying among NSX owners. How do you accumulate a small fortune while building a boosted NSX...Start with a large fortune.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #35
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
I talked to a guy who is on his 6th mustang already (and this is the second cobra) and he said that even the v6 ones are not drivable in the snow, he tried every year and they didnt move. You live in texas where it snows every time president bush makes a smart statement, I live in PA where it snows every winter, and sometimes hard too
Maybe he should learn to drive.
And Ive been all over the country, and driven in all kinds of bad conditions. Im stickin with RWD.

Shit Ive been in a snow storm in Wyoming visiting my brother while driving a 05 Dodge Ram with 20 and a 275mm foot print (the wider the worse they perform in snow and rain), a LSD, and an unloaded bed. I had no problems.

Ive driven the maro in snow. All you have to do is not act like a retard. I dont even leave the traction control on. Also leaving a stop in 2 or 3rd helps to.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #36
bigman101
CF Newbie

Hey whats up i know this isnt the right Thread to ask this question but maybe you can help me out

My car Is a 1998 Honda Accord 4cyl VTEC I want to put in a New Header for it but it says.........Non-VTEC 2.0L Inline 4-Cylinder N/A Engine..... on the part description does that mean i cant put it in my car here is the link if you want to know what i am talking about

Last edited by Cliffy : 01-24-2008 at 02:45 AM.
bigman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #37
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Fixed.
More ignorant Ricer bullshit.

Its funny since imports get dominated in a straight line, yall have to default to 2 things.

-Imports always Perform better in Twisties
-"Anyone can go fast in a straight line"
WRONG.

Yah Drag Racing is easy when youve only got 150hp. Try it in a decent car, thats got some power.

You dont think people with F-bodies and mustangs set their cars up for autoX and road course racing.
I can think of a certain F-body that has less in his car (including car and suspension setup) probably than your Si. And trust me he will DESTROY you around ANY track. Its easy when you've got a good suspension setup, and over 12" of slick at each corner.
Grow up.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #38
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Yes but when you get an NSX you get an NSX, youre not just another yuppy with a mohawk and 8 cylinders, not that the vette is a bad car, but its just a fact..NSX is more exclusive, looks better IMO, and just overall tickles me more..and everyone I know..besides I dont think a non Z06 or ZR1 (coming soon I hope) vette is a waste of money

Yah if you spend all the money to get an NSX. You get an expensive ass car, that their is next to no aftermarket for, comapered to the likes of the vette and viper, is slow as balls, has a measly 260 hp (AHAHHAHAHA), and you really cant do much to them N/A, so your stuck with a HUGE bill for forced induction or your stuck with 260hp.

NSXs are decent cars if left bone stock, and would probably be fun to drive everyday, and I do think the the early NA-1s (with the pop up headlights) are nice looking, but Id take a vette over them just cause of the HUGE aftermarket support, and the ease and cost of maintenance.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 AM   #39
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Wasn't the NSX cut from production because it was not selling very well? This might sound ignorant, and right me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what made it so exclusive?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #40
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Wasn't the NSX cut from production because it was not selling very well? This might sound ignorant, and right me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what made it so exclusive?
It wasnt selling well because not a whole lot of people were willing to shell out 70+k for a Honda, no matter who helped design it. Enthusiast I get where you are coming from, but its just a matter of preference, thats why there are so many different cars out there on the roads, because not everyone has the same opinion. You are right about the NSX being expensive to mod, and the vette being more powerful, but no matter the facts, I can still disagree with you all day because I would take an NSX over a c5 any day (unless its a Z06 then I would have to think). Yea I was wrong about domestics on some accounts, I will admit that, and god only knows how much fun I had driving our 6-speed jeep liberty around for work, much more than my civic even though it feels like its driving on stilts compared to my car, but some things I still stick to. For the most part I think domestics dont have the style and sophistication of imports, but then again with the new Saturn Aura being simply gorgeous, as well as the new Astra, and Chevy's flex-fuel technology, I could be very wrong very soon..

Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #41
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
It wasnt selling well because not a whole lot of people were willing to shell out 70+k for a Honda, no matter who helped design it. Enthusiast I get where you are coming from, but its just a matter of preference, thats why there are so many different cars out there on the roads, because not everyone has the same opinion. You are right about the NSX being expensive to mod, and the vette being more powerful, but no matter the facts, I can still disagree with you all day because I would take an NSX over a c5 any day (unless its a Z06 then I would have to think). Yea I was wrong about domestics on some accounts, I will admit that, and god only knows how much fun I had driving our 6-speed jeep liberty around for work, much more than my civic even though it feels like its driving on stilts compared to my car, but some things I still stick to. For the most part I think domestics dont have the style and sophistication of imports, but then again with the new Saturn Aura being simply gorgeous, as well as the new Astra, and Chevy's flex-fuel technology, I could be very wrong very soon..
but you admit that the Mustang's superior performance changed your mind anout not buying and import?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #42
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
More ignorant Ricer bullshit.

Its funny since imports get dominated in a straight line, yall have to default to 2 things.

-Imports always Perform better in Twisties
-"Anyone can go fast in a straight line"
WRONG.

It's funny how you domestic supremacists always default to 2 things.

-domestics always perform better in a straight line, therefore they're better cars
-anyone who thinks otherwise is a ricer and should be burned at the stake

Quote:
I can think of a certain F-body that has less in his car (including car and suspension setup) probably than your Si. And trust me he will DESTROY you around ANY track. Its easy when you've got a good suspension setup, and over 12" of slick at each corner.
Grow up.

He also has a pos F-body.

And why on earth are you calling me a ricer? When have I ever done or said anything that even remotely resembles the ricer attitude? Show me, I challenge you. My fixed comment was more of a joke than anything, a little extreme to balance out your extreme comment. By the way, I never even came close to implying that going in a straight line is easy and corners are hard...so you're essentially arguing with nobody. Just so you know

Anyway, let's talk about the whole ignorant ricer thing. Here comes my ignorance spewing from the innermost parts of my tiny ricer brain...

Generally, performance cars made by American companies will go faster in a straight line than car made by companies from other countries, while cars made by companies from other countries will go faster than cars made by American companies "in the twisties". There are plenty of exceptions of course, but many, if not most, cars will follow that rule whether they've been modified or not.

Ok, now let's talk about this Civic vs. F-body thing, and see which car would be the best choice for me.

I am an 18 year old college student with fairly little knowledge in the way of auto mechanics who needs a car that won't break down and wants a car that would be fun to drive around on a daily basis. Modding is out of the question, since my parents own the car and won't allow it. I will also have to pay for part of the insurance. Also, mom says it must be safe.

Ok, now that we know a little bit about me, let's do a little breakdown of each car's pros and cons.

Reliability-the car just has to be. If it breaks down, I'm just out of luck until it gets fixed, cause I probably can't do it myself.

2005 Civic Si > F-body, no question there, no need to explain.

Fun/performance-not a requirement, but would be nice to have.

2005 Civic Si > F-body, and I will explain this one.

The Civic is a 2800lb, FWD hatchback. The F-body is a ~3100lb or more RWD coupe. Well, the F-body certainly has more power...but honestly going in a straight line is a bit of a bore, especially on the street. Since I will not excessively speed for risk of getting a ticket, I would run out of fun very fast just going in a straight line. Now is there really any question about which one of these is more fun going around a turn? I assume they both have relatively high front weight ratios, but I can't find any exact figures. But the Civic is at least 300-400lbs lighter. I'm told that Mustangs and Camaros and the like are total pigs in the turns, and I at least know that my Civic is better than that.

Also, just one sit in a late nineties Firebird, and I hated the thing. I felt like I was lying down, and the shifter was way stiffer than any ever should be. Speaking of shifters, the EP3 has it in an unusual, but perfect location, thus helping the fun factor quite a bit.

In short, I think my Civic is a blast, and I seriously doubt that ANY stock Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, or other muscle car would be more fun for me.

Then there's safety.

2005 Civic Si > F-body

Well, probably anyway. I'm not looking up ratings for every F-body, but the random ones I did look up were all worse than the Civic.

Insurance

2005 Civic Si < F-body

Not much there, insurance on the Civic is about 3 times more

And a couple of other things...

gas mileage

2005 Civic Si > F-body

practicality

2005 Civic Si > F-body

Anything important I'm missing?

So, you tell me, in my case, how on earth is an F-body better than a Civic Si? It's not.

Lastly, my parents bought the car so it was more up to them than me anyway. I have to take what I can get, and they were going to get something nice...nicer than most any f-body.

In summary:

I'm not a ricer, and there's no way you can legitimately say that I am.
Imports typically are faster than domestics in the twisties.
Domestics are typically faster than imports in a straight line.
A Civic Si is much better choice of car for me than an F-body, and I'm quite happy with it.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #43
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
but you admit that the Mustang's superior performance changed your mind anout not buying and import?
Well noone said that it changed my mind, it was simply an very generous option that was in front of me at the time, so of course I gave it some though, and by the time that I made my decision (not to do the trade for practicality, insurance, gas, etc.) the car was already gone to another buyer.

Yes the mustang v8 has superior performance, but no I dont think its as refined as even my civic..the interior looks like crap to be honest, but those are things that I could live with given it's performance.

I still have lots of time to decide on my next car (and I have more options than before because with my new job I can get my car at wholesale price, which is considerably more friendly on the wallet), and I work with people who have been buying and selling and owning cars for longer than I have been around, so if all else fails, I'm sure I can get some feedback from them, suggestions as well, on what to get, and of course the "dealer advantage" when it comes to paying for it.

At the moment, I dont have any specific car that my mind is set on, but I want it to be better than what I have now of course. Something more powerful, more fun, etc. but I dont want it to be a hassle owning it. Ive got some time to work and make some money, I'm not in a big rush to get a different car anytime soon, because its more of a want than a need, so I am open to realistic suggestions as well, although they wont be acted on for quite some time.

I fell in love with the Mini Cooper S after driving 2 of them (05 supercharged 6MT, 07 Turbocharged 6AT), its just a hoot to drive, yet it still gets great MPG, looks great, and is very roomy inside, but small outside (great for parking and such), the only thing turning me off about it is that being made by BMW (one of the more reliable euro car brands, not that its saying much), I dont know how prone it is to taking shits when it comes to reliability.

Ive got lots of time to make money, make a decision, and along the way I am sure I will get to drive lots of cool shit that will be considerable for my next purchase, along with some cars that I love that I'm sure wont be what I expect them to be.

Time will tell.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #44
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Well noone said that it changed my mind, .
I did.
You went from saying you had NO plans to buy a domestic, to considering trading your car for one.... you changed your mind.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #45
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
I did.
You went from saying you had NO plans to buy a domestic, to considering trading your car for one.... you changed your mind.
Yes but I didnt say that I changed my mind about not buying an import..I still would buy an import