Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
j12David
CF Newbie

@DSMer, and everyone who has 2 cents

Hey DSMer,

I saw your post from 2 years ago (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5695) while I was googling 6bolt to 7bolt conversions. I'm not the smartest when it comes to cars... to give you a little background. My first car was a 95 rs, that my mom had bought winter of 94, I started driving it in 2002, where I did simple things like the typical 16 year old would do, such as air intake, and exhaust. I then screwed it up by flying off the highway at 110, breaking the bushing on the rear spindles, and breaking 2 engine mounts. Fortunately my parents own a car lot and I had access to a mechanic and a lift, and was able to repair everything myself. So I've done a little work but still pretty ignorant when it comes to anything technical. But once again I'm lucky and one of my good friends is very similar to yourself, and grew up working on cars and is currently work for carmax.

You said you drove a GS-T, and reason why you didn't get a GSX? I am planning on buying a 2g GSX, and since i've made that decision i've been trolling every forum trying to understand what I should do first. After I learned about the 6 bolt's being a must, due to the 7 bolt crankwalk and such, I started researching, which led me to your post. Which by far is the most informative but I still have a few questions.

1. This may be pretty common sense, but I just need to hear it from someone who knows what they are doing. By switching the 7 bolt with a 6 bolt, I would being buying all engine parts for the 1g eclipses correct? Also I noticed a lot of parts were 90-92, and 92-99. But i thought the 90-94 were completely different then the 2g's.

2. By swapping to a 6bolt is there anything special I should be looking for? Is it a must to swap the tranny? If not, what type of engine should i be looking for?

Sorry for the long post, was trying to put all my thoughts out there. Thanks for help.

So i've done plenty of more digging through forums, and did find dsmtalk to be really helpful. After seeing many people with GS-T's (such as yourself) I was almost tempted to buy one, until i read this thread http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...threadid=65779
which pretty much laid it out in terms I could understand.

Last edited by j12David : 01-20-2008 at 06:04 PM.
j12David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

wow that pretty much tops it all off. that info can help alot of DSM noobs out.
good one

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

I drive a 95 GSX and I'm one of the few that has no crankwalk issues whatsoever. One of the most problematic years and I luck out.

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
I drive a 95 GSX and I'm one of the few that has no crankwalk issues whatsoever. One of the most problematic years and I luck out.

same wit me. im lucky not to get crankwalk lol knock on wood.

DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote