Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Nancy
CF Newbie

Question shocks confusion

What brand or kind of shock absorbers would be perfect for a Kia Sorento? I saw this site <Link Removed> in search of online shops. I read on and I'm confused between performance shocks and steering stabilizers.. Do shocks perform different functions.. How would I know what to get then?

Last edited by Cliffy : 01-27-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Since I seriously doubt you are taking this SUV to the woods and off roading or something like that, the best suggestion is to go back with an OEM style shock such as a Monroe or Gabriel.

Keep in mind the front shocks are probably part of a McPhearson strut assembly meaning you will pay about $100/each for each strut + about $50 for each to have someone compress the springs with a good hydraulic spring compressor and replace the cartridge. (Although threaded rod type compressors are available as loaner tools at places like AutoZone, compressing auto springs can be hazardous to your health - even kill you- if the spring slips out of the compresser)
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Since I seriously doubt you are taking this SUV to the woods and off roading or something like that, the best suggestion is to go back with an OEM style shock such as a Monroe or Gabriel.

Keep in mind the front shocks are probably part of a McPhearson strut assembly meaning you will pay about $100/each for each strut + about $50 for each to have someone compress the springs with a good hydraulic spring compressor and replace the cartridge. (Although threaded rod type compressors are available as loaner tools at places like AutoZone, compressing auto springs can be hazardous to your health - even kill you- if the spring slips out of the compresser)
LOL yea my friend was doin his and as he was unscrewing the tophat it flew off and hit him in the dick lol

the threaded ones worked for me, the chances of them slipping off if properly attached seem slim unless you are throwing the assembly around
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

jeez, guys! they're spamming! don't you see the website in the content?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
LOL yea my friend was doin his and as he was unscrewing the tophat it flew off and hit him in the dick lol

the threaded ones worked for me, the chances of them slipping off if properly attached seem slim unless you are throwing the assembly around

True but many folks are not careful enough make sure everything is properly secure and have no good place to chain them down when they get the spring compressed. A car spring is no fun to have break loose.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote