Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Exclamation Best Engine Ever Thread!!!!!!

Tell me what you think the Best Engine/s is?
Include why you think that?

Ill hold my comments til later.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Tell me what you think the Best Engine/s is?
Include why you think that?

Ill hold my comments til later.
1.5 liter VTEC motor...not the most powerful but it DID do this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ALZIS-5V_mY
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Best engine ever? What engine has the most power and can hold up down the 1/4?

I like LS1s. Not cheap, but certainly not too expensive. Good power stock, and pretty easy to step up the power. The stock block and internals seem to hold a lot of power as well.

All that being said I don't know much about crate motors, there's probably some good ones I've never even seen.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

LS7 for sure. Long live the Chevy small block
Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
glagon1979
daddy x3

its a toss up for me. either the 350sbc or the 454bbc.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Im diggin the SBC for the most versatile engine ever. Cheap and easy to make power with plus you can do just about anything with them. There are some that are torquey as hell and never see the high side if 4K and other than Spin to 9K all day long. Reall cant beat it for an all around motor plus its extremely durable and reliable and maintenance is so easy.

Im also feelin the LT5 gotta love the 4V heads on big displacement with a ladder frame bottom end that will spin so high, youll kill the accesories befor you hurt anything on the motor.
Also one of the MOST RELIABLE motors ever. Build like a brick shithouse.

I pretty much hate everything Ferrari makes. Maintenance is a pain in the ass and they religiously break. About the only ferrari motor I like is the 3.6 in the Challenge Stradale. Just love the thought of a high winding 5V V8

The 5.0 Lambo V10 is pretty bad ass. Maintenance isnt bad at all and after workin on one a few times Ive fallen in love. Dont much care for the exhaust note though, but Im sure it would grow on me.

Amd for all out power you cant beat a BBC. over 1000 hp isnt hard at all nowadays
Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
What
Banned

Porsche Carrera GT's V10 because it behaves like a race engine in a good way, and Saleen S7's TT-V8 because that thing is so durable and strong.

Why are you people picking "budget" engines as BEST ENGINE EVER...your expectations are low.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Oh I meant to mention the V10 in the Carrera.

607hp from a 5.7 liter. Pretty cool to me. Don't know about maintenace and other things.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:07 AM   #9
adamc44
CF Freak

small block chevy 350

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
prvn
CF Newbie

got to be nissans RB series and off course the 2jz.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Man I've alway thought the RB was the worst sounding 6 cylinder Ive ever heard.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #12
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

im also gonna drop in the small block chevy, no particular one

same block all the way from something like 4.6 liters to 9+ liters

and even when they make less than 200 hp they can sound badass

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

from the Japanese side the RB series the 2jz and the 3gste should be mentioned.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Why are you people picking "budget" engines as BEST ENGINE EVER...your expectations are low.

No, the expectations are actually quite high. An engine should be all around versatile, and be able to do more with less, not more with more. It's easy to make an engine perform well in a specialized situation like the Carreras, when cost is no object. It's much more impressive when cost is factored in to see an engine that is still capable of performing in a wide variety of applications.

For that reason the very versatile Chevy small block family remains at the top of the list of most impressive engines, considering it can be used in everything from boats, to trucks, to motorcycles to daily driver cars to all out race cars (where for vastly less money it can make more power than that Porsche engine).

Another engine of the same versatility and my favorite for best engine ever is the VW aircooled flat 4. Powering everything from daily drivers to 7 second drag cars, aircraft, generators, air compressors and other industrial applications, desert racers, boats, and more.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
No, the expectations are actually quite high. An engine should be all around versatile, and be able to do more with less, not more with more. It's easy to make an engine perform well in a specialized situation like the Carreras, when cost is no object. It's much more impressive when cost is factored in to see an engine that is still capable of performing in a wide variety of applications.

For that reason the very versatile Chevy small block family remains at the top of the list of most impressive engines, considering it can be used in everything from boats, to trucks, to motorcycles to daily driver cars to all out race cars (where for vastly less money it can make more power than that Porsche engine).

"More with less"? Whatever. I would be impressed if these were the stone ages and these were poor companies using innovative ways to do "more with less"...but we aren't in the stone ages, and GM was the richest car company in the world. The truth is that these large production engines such as the LS-series are built by LARGE companies with VAST resources using LARGER BUDGETS than an engine such as Saleen's V8-TT. Each individual LS engine may have had a smaller "materials" budget than Saleen S7's V8, but overall the cost of developing, researching, and testing those LS engines were much larger than what most "exotic" engines get...so don't give me that "more for less" non-sense.

Saleen built the S7's V8 with a very restrictive budget...and considering that was his first "from the ground up" engine, it is very impressive. The Carrera GT is so innovative and efficient...I love it. The LSxxx's? Good tuner engines...blah. Boring really. They are nice engines, but best ever? Hell no. I want the "best ever" engine in my dream car...and my dream car ain't sportin' an LS-what-the-f*ck-ever.

But as for pedestrian V8's, AMG's 6.3 liter V8 impresses me more than any LS-engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
For that reason the very versatile Chevy small block...can be used...as all out race cars (where for vastly less money it can make more power than that Porsche engine).

Well of course it can achieve power cheaper than a Carrera GT V10...but this is an economics problem, not impressive engineering.

Last edited by What : 07-30-2007 at 03:19 PM.
What is offline   Reply With Quote