Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
anthony85
CF Newbie

My 95 Continental is creating a lot of exhaust that smells like gas

Hi everyone, I have a 95 Lincoln Continetal 4.6l with 122,xxx. I have only had this car for about 6 months and I havent yet done a tune up on it. The car ran perfectly until a few days ago when I started it and noticed that there was alot of white exhaust coming out of my car which reeked of gas. I drove the car anyways that day and noticed that the car was using a rediculous amount of gas. I spent almost $20 just to get a few miles back and forth. The exhaust was so abundent that some even made its way into the car. I'm almost certain the the exhaust pipes are fine. I live in Massachusetts and its been very cold out lately, so I dont know if that may be a factor of some kind. Other than that, the car performs normally. Also, the night before this problem started it was extremely cold and I left very little gas in the car. Im not sure if this is what may have caused the problem. Thank you.
anthony85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

My guess would be a bad fuel pressure regulator, but this is only a guess. Any lights on or trouble codes? any hesitation accelerating? does it stall, especialy when you let off the gas, or when idling?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Possibly a coolant leak into the combustion chamber...failed/ing headgasket...??

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
anthony85
CF Newbie

the engine light isn't on unfortunately. the car ran out of gas on me the first day i drove it with the problem. the next time i drove it, i put $15 of gas in it, and the car was kinda bogging a little bit, but i figured that the reason why it was doing that was because i had very little gas and it was using it so quickly. someone had told me that they did not think it was the head, because the smoke would have been a different color, and it would not explain the smell of gas in the exhaust.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Does it use a carburetor?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
anthony85
CF Newbie

no, its fuel injected. ive been looking around online trying to find information about bad fuel pressure regulators like dvdrose suggested, it seems like it may be a possibility.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #7
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

just take the vacuum hose off the regulator and see if gas comes out... if it does, it's bad... if not, it may still be bad but you'd have to check the fuel pressure to diagnose it further...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote