Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
scrounger
CF Newbie

What happened to station wagons?

I am on the market for new car and was looking for decent size station wagon. It seems like there is really not much out there. The one I considered last year, Malibu Maxx is discontinued, Volvo is a bit too much for what I want to spend, leaving pretty much only Subaru as logical choice.

So I am about ready to get the 2008 Forester Anniversary edition but if someone feels that there is a better alternative, I am all ears...
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

the station wagon was renamed, it is now called a crossover.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

SUV + crossover - wagon = new standard auto manufacturing marketing

BMW still offers them as well. At least I've seen a new 3 Series wagon before, I really doubt someone imported it.

But wagons seem to (sadly) be old and out of date in the public eye.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Dodge makes a nice one, I think it's the Magnum. RWD, optional Hemi, and looks good.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Honda S2K
CF Newbie

I'm sure station wagons are now called "crossovers." You might as well aim at purchasing a crossover/suv, instead of sticking with whatever is named a station wagon still.

Honda S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
scrounger
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda S2K
I'm sure station wagons are now called "crossovers." You might as well aim at purchasing a crossover/suv, instead of sticking with whatever is named a station wagon still.

Trouble is, most of "crossovers" are too tall for comfortable use of roof rack. I require at least something suitable for my kayaks. Furthermore, smaller crossovers have very short cabins where long items like windsurfer masts simply don't enter. Toy for a wannabe weekend camper and useless as true "utility".
Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

what about something like the Subaru Outback, Audi A3, Saab 9-3 Sportcombi, Mazda A5 or CX9, Ford Taurus X, Volvo XC 70 or V70, Dodge Magnum, VW Passat Wagon or Tiguan, Honda Odyssey, Kia Spectra 5 or Rondo, Hyundai Tuscon or Santa Fe or Veracruz? It seems like there are enough vehicles out there that you should be able to find one. Are you puting the Kayaks on the roof yourself? We never had a problem getting one on the roof of our Chevy Venture, and that isn't exactly low. Have you gone around and measured to know that they aren't long enough, or are you just assuming. What vehicle are you using now?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
scrounger
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
what about something like the Subaru Outback, Audi A3, Saab 9-3 Sportcombi, Mazda A5 or CX9, Ford Taurus X, Volvo XC 70 or V70, Dodge Magnum, VW Passat Wagon or Tiguan, Honda Odyssey, Kia Spectra 5 or Rondo, Hyundai Tuscon or Santa Fe or Veracruz? It seems like there are enough vehicles out there that you should be able to find one. Are you puting the Kayaks on the roof yourself? We never had a problem getting one on the roof of our Chevy Venture, and that isn't exactly low. Have you gone around and measured to know that they aren't long enough, or are you just assuming. What vehicle are you using now?

My current "utility" is Jeep Grand Wagoneer, yes, it is very uncomfortable to put 80lbs double kayak on top and anyway, I will never again buy Chrysler (another story and this is not a rant).

Your list is great but obviously you missed than I wrote that Volvo is a bit outside price range I am willing to pay. Forester Anniversary edition is offered to me at about $30k, all included so "alternatives" at 10k extra are not really alternatives, are they?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

If Google is correct, your Jeep is about 65 inches tall. I don't think even like the recently deceased Taurus wagon was more than 8 inches shorter than that. Is the actual height the problem, or is it just the general configuration of the vehicle. are you struggling to reach over a long hood, or is the vehicle too wide to reach the center of the roof? When we put one on our Venture, the biggest problem was reaching over the hood, which is really quite short compared to other vehicles. I am assuming if it is a double kayak you have 2 people to haul it onto the roof, which would lead me to think the shape of the vehicle would be more of a difficulty than the height, unless you are vertically challenged. But, anyway, it sounds like you already did all your own research, so good luck with whatever you decide on

BTW Giant, I just noticed the Magnum R/T (5.7 Hemi) is available with AWD for only $34,555 MSRP, if only i had money to spend...
Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
scrounger
CF Newbie

I am 6'-0" and my wife is 5'-10" yet we do feel vertically challenged if it comes to load roof rack on our Jeep with anything. It is the height (don't forget that the rack adds another few inches): 15' kayak is long enough to simply "walk over" but we have to do it with stretched out arms. It is not a problem for me but my wife has pretty much refused to help anymore and to do it alone is really not fun...
So in short, Mazda 5 and others in this class (mini-minivan) will not be an improvement. Toyota Matrix, etc simply don't cover the needs and VW Passat Wagon or Ford Taurus X start about 5k higher than Forester with dubious improvement on value. So I wonder if it is possible that Subaru got this market all wrapped up or the market is indeed insignificant for the others to compete for.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #11
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
If Google is correct, your Jeep is about 65 inches tall. I don't think even like the recently deceased Taurus wagon was more than 8 inches shorter than that. Is the actual height the problem, or is it just the general configuration of the vehicle. are you struggling to reach over a long hood, or is the vehicle too wide to reach the center of the roof? When we put one on our Venture, the biggest problem was reaching over the hood, which is really quite short compared to other vehicles. I am assuming if it is a double kayak you have 2 people to haul it onto the roof, which would lead me to think the shape of the vehicle would be more of a difficulty than the height, unless you are vertically challenged. But, anyway, it sounds like you already did all your own research, so good luck with whatever you decide on

BTW Giant, I just noticed the Magnum R/T (5.7 Hemi) is available with AWD for only $34,555 MSRP, if only i had money to spend...

8 inches height difference is a lot if you are lifting a canoe or something to the roof.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
scrounger
CF Newbie

...and the jury is in!

Yep, after long and tedious evaluations, 5 more test drives and resisting sh-load of sales pitches, I went with the Forester. Drive it already for a few days and I LIKE it. In ten years or so, I will tell you if I am happy with it. If not, it will be earlier...
Old 03-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #13
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
SUV + crossover - wagon = new standard auto manufacturing marketing

BMW still offers them as well. At least I've seen a new 3 Series wagon before, I really doubt someone imported it.

But wagons seem to (sadly) be old and out of date in the public eye.

BMW has both 3- and 5- wagons. There is even an M5 wagon, but I don't think its coming here.

They are officially called "Touring".
Old 03-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

We still have plenty of Station wagons in the UK...Ir 'Estate cars' as they're known here. As has been said here already, manufacturers call them more stylish names such as 'Touring' these days, but they're the same as they always were. We have plenty of Volvo estates, Alfa Romeos, BMWs, Mercedes', Fords, VWs, Nissans, Peugeots, Citroens, Renaults...The list is endless.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:48 AM   #15
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
We still have plenty of Station wagons in the UK...Ir 'Estate cars' as they're known here. As has been said here already, manufacturers call them more stylish names such as 'Touring' these days, but they're the same as they always were. We have plenty of Volvo estates, Alfa Romeos, BMWs, Mercedes', Fords, VWs, Nissans, Peugeots, Citroens, Renaults...The list is endless.
do u guys have mitsubishi evo sportbacks there?

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote