Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: The best all round diesel engine on sale today is?
Volkswagen/Audi group 1.9TDi 8 34.78%
Fiat/Alfa Romeo 2.4JTD 2 8.70%
Peugeot/Citroen 2.2HDi 5 21.74%
Renault's 2.2DCi 0 0%
BMW 2.0Cd 5 21.74%
Other (please state which in post) 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

The best Euro Diesel?

Ok guys, in your opinion, what is the best European Diesel engine currently available. I'm posting a poll with this thread because the modern diesel engine varies so widely from car to car. As much as I hate to admit it, Alfa Romeo's 2.4JTD engine is the most refined I've ever known. I drove my bosses 166 estate with this engine in and It's certainly the quickest diesel I've been in. the torque pushes you back in your seat! The only down side is the Torque steer this car produces (I wont get into that now though lol). If I had to list the most reliable it would have to be the 1.9TDi in most Audi/VW group cars. But, for all round capability and purely due to how this manufaturers engines have progressed over the years, I'm going to say that Peugeot/Citroen make the best all round Diesel engines, I mean, most Peugeot or Citroen cars offer a petrol varient as an option these days lol. So, it's the 2.2HDi engine that gets my vote!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

The only one here is the VW TDi...it gets my vote then...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Under my FIAT_4_EVER fan rol I'll say 1.9 JTD 115 hp from Fiat/Alfa/Lancia :P

VW's 1.9 TDI engines are good engines. I've heard from experts that 1.9 TDI engines in 90 and 110 hp versions were the best direct injection diesel engines ever, but now there are some reliability problems specially with 1.9 TDI 150 hp versions. Ok, it's not my words; it's something I heard.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)

Last edited by karburator : 05-04-2004 at 11:35 PM.
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Oh! Sorry! I didn't see the poll.
Then it'll be 2.4 JTD

Cliffy - You made a mistake. Renault's 2.2 DTI is no longer sold. Now it is 2.2 DCI and both engines are different from Opel/Vauxhall's 2.2 DTI. Also note that Opel diesel engines are Isuzu made except new 1.9 cdti in Vectra and 1.3 cdti in Corsa, that are from Fiat.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
Old 05-04-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
Cliffy - You made a mistake. Renault's 2.2 DTI is no longer sold. Now it is 2.2 DCI and both engines are different from Opel/Vauxhall's 2.2 DTI. Also note that Opel diesel engines are Isuzu made except new 1.9 cdti in Vectra and 1.3 cdti in Corsa, that are from Fiat.
Oops, so I did lol...I actually got muddled up, I meant the 'DCi' for the Renault, and I'm aware that Vauxhall no longer use the 'DTi', and that it was actually Nissan that shared that engine with Renault and not Vauxhall, do Nissan use the DCi too? I'll edit the poll, thanx for kicking me into shape lol...it's because I'm doing it off the top of my head ya see

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Last edited by Cliffy : 05-04-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:30 AM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Oops, so I did lol...I actually got muddled up, I meant the 'DCi' for the Renault, and I'm aware that Vauxhall no longer use the 'DTi', and that it was actually Nissan that shared that engine with Renault and not Vauxhall, do Nissan use the DCi too? I'll edit the poll, thanx for kicking me into shape lol...it's because I'm doing it off the top of my head ya see
Ya....umm...I know what yall are talking about...ummm...ya....right...

Old 05-05-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Ya....umm...I know what yall are talking about...ummm...ya....right...
LOL....Diesel aint that big in the US, right?....isn't diesel prohibited in some states?

Old 05-05-2004, 03:38 AM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
LOL....Diesel aint that big in the US, right?....isn't diesel prohibited in some states?
I dont think that it is prohibited, but it is really only in big trucks...there are very few diesel sedans...

Old 05-05-2004, 09:26 PM   #9
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
do Nissan use the DCi too?

Nissan uses DCI technology and shares some engines with Renault, but not every nissan DCI engine is made by Renault.

Nissan usa tecnología DCI y comparte algunos motores con Renault, pero no todos los motores DCI de Nissan están hechos por Renault

Last edited by karburator : 05-05-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
I dont think that it is prohibited, but it is really only in big trucks...there are very few diesel sedans...

In Europe it's a plague
In Spain more than 50% of new cars are diesel. Having a diesel became a trend 5 or 6 years ago because their low fuel consumption and good performances. Some sporty models are sold with diesel engine

Now everyone having a diesel with more than 100 hp thinks that has a super-sporty car.

En Europa es una peste
En España más del 50% de los coches nuevos son diesel. Tener un diesel se convirtió en una moda hace 5 o 6 años debido a su bajo consumo de carburante y sus buenas prestaciones. Algunos modelos deportivos se venden con motor diesel

Ahora cualquiera que tenga un diesel con más de 100 cv piensa que tiene un coche super deportivo.

Last edited by karburator : 05-05-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 PM   #11
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
In Europe it's a plague
In Spain more than 50% of new cars are diesel. Having a diesel became a trend 5 or 6 years ago because their low fuel consumption and good performances. Some sporty models are sold with diesel engine

Now everyone having a diesel with more than 100 hp thinks that has a super-sporty car.

En Europa es una peste
En España más del 50% de los coches nuevos son diesel. Tener un diesel se convirtió en una moda hace 5 o 6 años debido a su bajo consumo de carburante y sus buenas prestaciones. Algunos modelos deportivos se venden con motor diesel

Ahora cualquiera que tenga un diesel con más de 100 cv piensa que tiene un coche super deportivo.
That is crazy!

Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Also, as diesel cars no longer have the reputation for being slow and smelly, for example, BMW's 330 diesel will cover the 0-62 sprint in just 7 seconds!

Old 05-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #13
vwmaniac
CF Addict

I'm going with the VW/AUDI TDI engine. Its also quite fast. One Bora (Jetta in the US) model in Europe diesel, has a top speed of 210km/h. So the VW/AUDI TDI engines have speed and great reliability. It gets my vote.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 AM   #14
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Also, as diesel cars no longer have the reputation for being slow and smelly, for example, BMW's 330 diesel will cover the 0-62 sprint in just 7 seconds!
7 seconds isnt really that good, but I guess for a diesel it is...

Old 05-07-2004, 04:06 AM   #15
vwmaniac
CF Addict

Quote:
7 seconds isnt really that good, but I guess for a diesel it is...

What're you talking about STiMan?! 7 seconds is bad to you?