Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Endorf
CF Newbie

Isuzu Rodeo not starting

A friend has a 1995 rodeo 6 cyl. that won't crank over. The battery drained completely after sitting for a few days. New battery put in and still no crank. Replaced starter. Still no crank. Fuse for starter is OK. There is 12.5 volts on cable at the starter. When the key is turned on I can here the relay for the fuel pump engage , but not the relay for the starter. I swapped the two relays and the fuel pump still engaged and the starter did not. I ran a jumper cable from the negative of the battery to the engine block to see if the ground was no good , but this made no difference. I do not have a wiring schematic of this vehicle, so I don't know where to go from here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Endorf
Endorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

let me get this straight. when do you have the voltage at the starter, all the time, or when it is turned to start? Where did you measure this voltage? When you replaced the starter, did that include the relay? if you were to apply 12 volts directly to the starter with jumper cables, will it turn? Unless there is a problem with the new starter, if there is power to it, it should turn, at least until it engages the engine. If the engine is seized, it might not be able to turn the engine over, but you should hear the starter start to turn a little bit, and you should see some drop in voltage when the key is turned to start.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Endorf
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
let me get this straight. when do you have the voltage at the starter, all the time, or when it is turned to start? Where did you measure this voltage? When you replaced the starter, did that include the relay? if you were to apply 12 volts directly to the starter with jumper cables, will it turn? Unless there is a problem with the new starter, if there is power to it, it should turn, at least until it engages the engine. If the engine is seized, it might not be able to turn the engine over, but you should hear the starter start to turn a little bit, and you should see some drop in voltage when the key is turned to start.

1) 12 volts is at the starter at all times.

2) I measured the voltage at the post on the starter that is connected to the battery.

3) The relay is in the fusebox on the passenger side wheel well. I switched the relay with several others that are the same and had the same results.

4) There is 12 volts at starter at all times. There is also an internal solenoid in this starter with a wire that I think is going back to the relay in the fuse box.

5) I do not hear the starter engaging at all. In the fuse box I can hear the fuel pump relay engage but not the starter relay. I swapped relays and still the same thing.

I am guessing the ignition switch is controlling the starter relay, but I don't have a wiring diagram. Does this sound like a possibility?

Thanks,
Endorf
Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

something doesn't make sense, if there is 12 volts across the starter, the starter should be turning, unless it is too low of a current. I can't imagine there should be 12 volts to the starter all the time. Either I'm totally stupid, or something is totally screwed up. (I hope its not the first option )
Old 02-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
carls47807
CF Freak

You have 12 V to the starter, but no voltage to the "s" terminal on the starter solenoid (located on the starter). Just the 12V you do have at the starter with the smaller "s" terminal on the starter and see if vehicle cranks over (take all necessary precautions). If it does which I'm sure it will you could have a faulty ignition switch/you need to do more research. maybe the "s" wire is loose. Let me know if that works first.

Again, screwdriver between large 12v post and small s post on solenoid at starter.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Endorf
CF Newbie

Smile Problem solved

It seems the previous owner had installed a kill switch under the dash. It is a little toggle switch that must have had a knee bang into it. The switch stopped the starter relay from engaging, which kept the 12 volts from reaching the solenoid. It would have been nice if the previous owner had said something about this.

Thanks for the help. hopefully one day I can return the favor.

Endorf
Old 03-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

stick around long enough - you'll be able to.

Glad you got the car to start.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote