Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
mymitsu
CF Newbie

Question Mitsubishi Lancer trouble

Hi Folks,
I got a Mitsu Lancer 05 that has some trouble. First of all if I start the engine
in the morning it sounds like a diesel. That goes away after a few hundred
yards. I had at the dealer but they say that is normal. The other thing is the
suspension. If I go thru a dip or speedbumps there is a squieking noise on the
front. The dealer changed some bushings on the stabilizer but the noise came
back a while later.Maybe here is a common thing.
mymitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

The engine problem sounds a lot like a common problem area in many GM cars, I don't know if it happens in Mitsus though. What happens is the sides of the pistons, be it the piston rings or the sides of the skirts, wear a little bit over time against the cylinder walls. This creates a gap between the sides of the cylinder and the piston. The piston then bangs around a little bit in the cylinder, making the engine sound a lot like a diesel. The reason this goes away is because as the car warms up the metal in the engine expands, making the piston larger and the cylinder smaller, thus elimintating the gap between the cylinder and piston causing the banging.

It's reffered to as piston slap. In GMs it is often considered a good thing. When the engine is warm the piston fits in the cylinder perfectly, meaning that there is little friction. This causes an increase in gas MPG as well as performance. Compare this to a car without piston slap, where the piston and cylinder fit perfectly, and when the engine warms up they are too tight and create more friction.

I had this problem with my car, and everybody said to leave it be. Usually it takes a long time to get worse, and is a VERY expensive fix (you need to tear down the engine). My car however got really bad. In talking to people, GM almost never fixed this problem, and claimed that it was normal in these engines. Once again, my car was so bad that after talking with GM my service rep he was able to get me a brand new (longblock) engine. Thats how much they didn't want to deal with it, they gave me a $6000 (part+labor) engine for my $50 deductable.

If the car is under warranty, try to get it fixed now. If they tell you that it's normal for the engine to do that, tell them that they need to fix all the cars that don't sound like diesels, because then that itsn't normal. This is all assuming that piston slap is indeed your problem, but it sounds to me as this is most likely the case, between the symptoms and your dealer saying it's normal. On the other side, cars with piston slap have been known to go 200,000+ miles without it getting any worse.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymitsu
Hi Folks,
I got a Mitsu Lancer 05 that has some trouble. First of all if I start the engine
in the morning it sounds like a diesel. That goes away after a few hundred
yards. I had at the dealer but they say that is normal. The other thing is the
suspension. If I go thru a dip or speedbumps there is a squieking noise on the
front. The dealer changed some bushings on the stabilizer but the noise came
back a while later.Maybe here is a common thing.

lol morning diesel sound... very common. my talon does that all the time. for ur sqeaking problem its very common for 05 lancers to do that. dealerships put crappy bushings through out the suspension front and back. if i were u id go out and buy some aftermarket bushings. they sell aftermarket bushing kits pretty cheap now a days. good luck

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote