Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 AM   #16
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
S2000s are gay.

Honda needs to man up and realize such a small engine at that level is ridiculous for the street.

WHY WHY WHY would you put a 2.0 then a 2.2 in your sports car. Its ridiculous. There are no displacement restrictions for the street.
Yea, 13.5 is a really gay time for a stock 2.0 man. The car is plenty quick, and Honda is known specifically for high revving 4 cylinder VTEC engines in their cars, its very fun, and the chassis is very responsive, the steering is excelent, everything about that car is great, and when you buy an s2000, you dont usually buy it for daily driving, so low end torque makes near no difference. Oh and it has one of the best transmissions/shifters in the industry to boot, Honda reliability, good MPG...I couldnt ask for more.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #17
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Yea, 13.5 is a really gay time for a stock 2.0 man. The car is plenty quick, and Honda is known specifically for high revving 4 cylinder VTEC engines in their cars, its very fun, and the chassis is very responsive, the steering is excelent, everything about that car is great, and when you buy an s2000, you dont usually buy it for daily driving, so low end torque makes near no difference. Oh and it has one of the best transmissions/shifters in the industry to boot, Honda reliability, good MPG...I couldnt ask for more.
Interior's nice too, but is there a radio?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #18
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Interior's nice too, but is there a radio?
yessir
Its tucked away behind the panel in front of the shifter

Additional controls on the left of the steering wheel

Top-down view

Those seats the THE BOMB!

If I have to pick up any "big" people from the airport or whatever, it may be a problem though

Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #19
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
First off the S2000 gets horrid gasmileage. You know what from? They put such a high strung tiny little motor in it.

Ive driven one and sorry but I dont find it fun at all and the shifter feels like a shifter rowing a pile of dog shit.

They arent that reliable. They like to go lean and melt the top end Ive seen it happen 3 times now. Its hard to make a damn near 9K piston motor reliable. Sorry.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
First off the S2000 gets horrid gasmileage. You know what from? They put such a high strung tiny little motor in it.

Ive driven one and sorry but I dont find it fun at all and the shifter feels like a shifter rowing a pile of dog shit.

They arent that reliable. They like to go lean and melt the top end Ive seen it happen 3 times now. Its hard to make a damn near 9K piston motor reliable. Sorry.
My friend gets 25 highway with his, not bad for a sports car, and thats with the top down.

If you didnt think it was fun then obviously you have a lot of experience driving cars like the Lotus Elise and Ariel Atom..maybe you dont think those are fun either.

Everyone I know has never had problems with theirs, maybe the people you know just assumed that because its a Honda it doenst have to be maintained...sucks for them.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #21
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
S2000s are gay.

Honda needs to man up and realize such a small engine at that level is ridiculous for the street.

WHY WHY WHY would you put a 2.0 then a 2.2 in your sports car. Its ridiculous. There are no displacement restrictions for the street.

Does bashing anything without a Bowtie give you a boner or make you feel a bit less queer or what? Big engines are heavy, would harm weight balance, ect ect. We've been over this, not every one wants to go in a straight line.

And that car is by no means slow. You tell us, since you're so knowledgeable on the subject, why would Honda want to put a bigger engine in the S2000? Or better yet, how would a bigger engine make the S2000 a better car?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #22
newyorker
MXman

And about "dog shit" shifters, the s2000 shifter has great feel its precise and short...every domestic shifter I have ever felt has had a completely detached and mushy feel...i dont know what kind of firm dog shit youve been digging through but thats just me.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #23
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Now don't take this as me backing Enthusiast, as he sounds pretty ignorant right now. HOWEVER, I do have a bone to pick. First off, I'm sick of the damn "not bad for a 2.X liter" crap. As has been said, there no size limit on the street. Oh, but you don't want a big, gas guzzling, big liter V8? You're buddies S2000 gets 25mpg highway. I get 27...in an automatic...with a rear seat...with almost 3X as many liters...in a car near 2 tons.

Best transmissions? That might have something to do with pushing around a light car with almost no torque. I know it wasn't made to handle a musclecar, but on the other hand, I couldn't say that a ballerina is one of the best wrestlers if she hasn't faced a bodybuilder.

The S2000 is a better handler, but lets not counter ignorance with more ignorance. There are plenty of V8s pulling .9X g's.

The high-winding S2000 is probably more fun for NY'er, while a bigblock is probably more fun for Enthusiast.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #24
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
My friend gets 25 highway with his, not bad for a sports car, and thats with the top down.

If you didnt think it was fun then obviously you have a lot of experience driving cars like the Lotus Elise and Ariel Atom..maybe you dont think those are fun either.

Everyone I know has never had problems with theirs, maybe the people you know just assumed that because its a Honda it doenst have to be maintained...sucks for them.

I know 3 guys with S2ks, all maintain their cars well, probably better than the average driver. All three have had problems two have melted the whole top end one of them has done it twice.

A high strung motor will sacrifice longevity,

And sorry I dont like the elise. A good friend of mine went from a boxster to a elise (much like car hippie for those of you that remeber him) and as he puts it. The elise is built like a race car, which is pretty much a disposable car. He says build quality is in the shitter and most parts are glue on and things are constantly falling off. Motor is a bitch to get any performance out of it cause it has absolutely ZERO bottom end. It rides like shit, gets shitty gas mileage, is expensive, and is about the most uncomfortable and ergonomically unfriendly car he has ever been in.

Personally id buy a vette over an elise cause it is without a doubt a better street car and will almost always win on the street, and probably run pretty damn close to the elise, without worries of breaking it. (oh and ps. the base C6 beat the EXIGE around the top gear track)

Last edited by Enthusiast : 03-18-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #25
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Does bashing anything without a Bowtie give you a boner or make you feel a bit less queer or what? Big engines are heavy, would harm weight balance, ect ect. We've been over this, not every one wants to go in a straight line.

And that car is by no means slow. You tell us, since you're so knowledgeable on the subject, why would Honda want to put a bigger engine in the S2000? Or better yet, how would a bigger engine make the S2000 a better car?

Okay first I may have a little more critical view of things but that applies to all cars.
I bash my Z plenty. It sucks to work on, its makes all kinds of noises, etc etc etc

But above all it is extremely reliable and parts are cheap, overall its not very complicated, and has huge potential.

Second bigger motors dont always weigh more.

And if you meant bigger in displacement, that also is not true.
The LS7 is displaces two eztra liters compared to the M5 V10 and it is physically smaller giving it a higher power density, oh and its also lighter.

And sorry the car is slow. But thats all relative, what I think is slow you may not.

I think a higher displacement motor could easily make the S2K a better car.
First it would give it more potential for power
Second they could achieve the same power with more displacement using a not so high strung motor and increasing reliabilty
Or they could make it just as high strung and high revving and make more power
Third the damn thing wouldnt have to be so freakin lazy in low rpms.
Fourth it could lead to better economy given a correction in gearing to accomodate the bigger displacement.

Given all this tell me. Would you rather have a decently quick car that handles great or a fast car that still handles great.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #26
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
And about "dog shit" shifters, the s2000 shifter has great feel its precise and short...every domestic shifter I have ever felt has had a completely detached and mushy feel...i dont know what kind of firm dog shit youve been digging through but thats just me.

Sorry I drive an F-body and have a built T56. Ive driven S2000s and hate the feel.

I prefer the stiff mechanical feel of the T56 even on the stock shifter.
You need to read less car magazines and actually go drive different cars and do away with your ignorant domestic bashing.

I may not like certain cars but atleast I can come up with a reason for it that isnt reguritated from a magazine or from plain ignorance (like domestics are reliable or their interiors suck)

And by lumping every domestic shifter into one category it makes you look retarded. Their are going to be worlds of differences between an Aveo and a GT.

Personally I hate the feel of the Sn95-2 mustang trannies. Clutch is OVERLY stiff and not a big fan of shifter feel but it is by no means MUSHY and DETACHED.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Second bigger motors dont always weigh more.
I think a higher displacement motor could easily make the S2K a better car.
First it would give it more potential for power
Second they could achieve the same power with more displacement using a not so high strung motor and increasing reliabilty
Or they could make it just as high strung and high revving and make more power
Third the damn thing wouldnt have to be so freakin lazy in low rpms.
Fourth it could lead to better economy given a correction in gearing to accomodate the bigger displacement.

Given all this tell me. Would you rather have a decently quick car that handles great or a fast car that still handles great.
so what engine would you put in it?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #28
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
so what engine would you put in it?
Id say the whatever motor they could design with the highest power density to fit within the givin engine bay dimensions, without much of a weight penalty. It would also have to have more low end torque, Im not talking overkill but none of this lazy ass motor when vtecs not engaged.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #29
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Then cost becomes an issue. It's already quite expensive for a Honda.

A bigger engine alone would not make the car better, and if it somehow did it would become too expensive.

For the bigger engine to weigh the same, it would have to be made out of a lighter-wieght material. I don't know what the S2k engine is made out of, but I do know that a lighter material that maintains the integrity of a heavier material is usually more expensive. In the automotive world, at least.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #30
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Sorry I drive an F-body and have a built T56. Ive driven S2000s and hate the feel.

I prefer the stiff mechanical feel of the T56 even on the stock shifter.
You need to read less car magazines and actually go drive different cars and do away with your ignorant domestic bashing.

I may not like certain cars but atleast I can come up with a reason for it that isnt reguritated from a magazine or from plain ignorance (like domestics are reliable or their interiors suck)

And by lumping every domestic shifter into one category it makes you look retarded. Their are going to be worlds of differences between an Aveo and a GT.

Personally I hate the feel of the Sn95-2 mustang trannies. Clutch is OVERLY stiff and not a big fan of shifter feel but it is by no means MUSHY and DETACHED.
The Z is a great car by all means but the shifter is very notchy for my taste. I do drive a bunch of cars, I work at a dealership remember...ive driven almost everything from a 5-speed aveo, to a 6-speed 911 turbo