Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
thunderboom7
CF Newbie

91 SUNBIRD 2.0L Stalls-No gas or Spark

It runs 4 about 5 to 10 minutes then stalls out. let set for a hour or so will restart right up. then does the same as above continously. i heard of no fuel but with spark and spark but no fuel .. both has got me stump.. car has 112k miles-new cam rockers ,timebelt. fuel filter,catalast converter. 10k miles ago. tune up in late fall with plugs cap rotor ,wires, water temp sensor, oyxgen sensor. runs great and smooth . notice in the last few weeks at idle running a little slower in park. choke not staying on as long n morning and rpm's slower with choke n moring.after warm up alittle or at running temp in idle . giving it gas to listen to motor. engine lopes or slight missis.
or as i can best describe sound is da --da da -da-da da da---da-da. hope u understand that meaning. but running down the round ,its just sound as smooth as it can be..going to have distrubutor module and coil check at parts store n a couple days when rain lets to take parts off and get that done. Beside that, if thats not the problem which i don,t think it is.. i need any suggestion were else to look. just dont understand or know why both are cutting out when it stalls. almost forgot i can still hear fuel pump run when i turn key on. i check for vacuum leaks and wire connection. all seem o.k. Any ideas or suggestion. thank you.
thunderboom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

you verified no fuel when stalled by checking the Schreder valve @ the fuel rail or installing a gage on the fuel rail?
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
thunderboom7
CF Newbie

ther is no valve on fuel rail its a tbi carb .had my brother watch for spray and there wasnt any.. then when i tried again later he could see it spray plain as day and fire right up after it sat.. p.s. new battery in the fall also..the fuel line has no palce to check for fuel pressure. i'd check from front to back. its all solid. i can go rig a fuel gage in. to see if is losing pressure. but if i do ,and it is losing pressure .. would that cause the igniton to shut down to . No spark or gas for 1 hour or so till something cools down .What would be cause both to shut down. also motor cranks right over with no problem. Car when running has always started within a secound or secound n half at longest. And reading no codes also. just good old 12 as always..also i narrowed down this chirp noise i hear about 15 secounds before it stalls .its coming from inside the distubutor. could that be a good clue were to start??

Last edited by thunderboom7 : 03-19-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
thunderboom7
CF Newbie

i was told by this guy that the pick up coil sends a signal to the module to #1 run the ignition coil and then send an rpm signal to the engine computer to let it know the engine is turning over. if the engine doesn't see that siganl it will not control the injector. if the module doesn't see that signal from the pick up it will not drive the coil. on those the insulation on the pick up coils would break down over time and then the resiatnace of the coil is wrong and then it stops working correctly. So i replaced module and coil and so far it is still running.. so i learned that it can shut down fuel and spark at same time..
Old 03-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Sort-of.

lets start here first.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote