Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
93GrandAm
CF Newbie
 
93GrandAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Coolant Temp Sensor

I'm about to replace the coolant temp sensor in my Grand Am and I want to know if I should drain the fluids before taking it out. I don't want coolant to gush out everywhere! I don't think I'll have a problem because of where it's located (near the top of the block behind the spark plugs) but it's always good to be safe.
Thanks for your help.
93GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GrandAm
I'm about to replace the coolant temp sensor in my Grand Am and I want to know if I should drain the fluids before taking it out. I don't want coolant to gush out everywhere! I don't think I'll have a problem because of where it's located (near the top of the block behind the spark plugs) but it's always good to be safe.
Thanks for your help.

Yes and yes. A gallon should be a safe amount. You already had the answer, didn't you?
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
93GrandAm
CF Newbie
 
93GrandAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Exclamation

Which coolant should I be concerned with? The thing is, I don't know if it pertains to oil, water, or antifreeze.
93GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
93GrandAm
CF Newbie
 
93GrandAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Unhappy

Nevermind that last post. It is most definitely antifreeze. I removed the sensor with a few groans and a socket wrench and as I expected, coolant gushed out everywhere. luckily, I thought ahead and got something to catch it in. But now I have a different problem. Apparently, what I thought was the coolant temp sensor on my '93 2.3L quad 4 wasn't. The electrical connectors for the new piece and the "old" piece didn't match. The new piece's connector was oval shaped. The "old" piece's connector was a square shape with a notch in it.
Now I have no clue what the "old" part was since it is definitely not the one I thought it was. But the "old" part was pointed out by a friend of the family who is a mechanic. He said (and he pointed to the "old" part) "This could be your problem, the coolant temperature sensor. I would replace this, i'm 95% sure this is the problem..." but maybe he just wasn't sure exactly which one it was.
My question to those of you who read this is: What the hell is the "old" part? AND Where is the real coolant temperature sensor located on my engine. By the way, I have a Haynes manual and it's absolutely no help whatesoever.
Thanks for your help in advance and thanks for just reading this post. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.
93GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:39 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GrandAm
Nevermind that last post. It is most definitely antifreeze. I removed the sensor with a few groans and a socket wrench and as I expected, coolant gushed out everywhere. luckily, I thought ahead and got something to catch it in. But now I have a different problem. Apparently, what I thought was the coolant temp sensor on my '93 2.3L quad 4 wasn't. The electrical connectors for the new piece and the "old" piece didn't match. The new piece's connector was oval shaped. The "old" piece's connector was a square shape with a notch in it.
Now I have no clue what the "old" part was since it is definitely not the one I thought it was. But the "old" part was pointed out by a friend of the family who is a mechanic. He said (and he pointed to the "old" part) "This could be your problem, the coolant temperature sensor. I would replace this, i'm 95% sure this is the problem..." but maybe he just wasn't sure exactly which one it was.
My question to those of you who read this is: What the hell is the "old" part? AND Where is the real coolant temperature sensor located on my engine. By the way, I have a Haynes manual and it's absolutely no help whatesoever.
Thanks for your help in advance and thanks for just reading this post. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.
I would say that you were probably given the wrong part by the shop, It's more than likely the temp sensor...just the wrong one for your car, take it back with the old one and match the two together
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:19 AM   #6
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I would say that you were probably given the wrong part by the shop, It's more than likely the temp sensor...just the wrong one for your car, take it back with the old one and match the two together


Mate = Friend, Buddy, sexual partner- This just ain't right

Trouble and Strife = Wife- This is nothing but the truth
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:21 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Mate = Friend, Buddy, sexual partner- This just ain't right

The 'sexual partner' bit is an 'or' not an 'and' if ya get what I mean lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 AM   #8
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
The 'sexual partner' bit is an 'or' not an 'and' if ya get what I mean lol

I got what you meant Just sounds "NASTY"
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 AM   #9
93GrandAm
CF Newbie
 
93GrandAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
You're probably right Cliffy. I believe there are two different "coolant temp sensors" in this engine. One of them tells the car's computer if the coolant is up to normal operating temperature; the other tells the temp guage what to read. I probably got the one for the guage instead of the one I need.
93GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:31 AM   #10
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GrandAm
Nevermind that last post. It is most definitely antifreeze. I removed the sensor with a few groans and a socket wrench and as I expected, coolant gushed out everywhere. luckily, I thought ahead and got something to catch it in. But now I have a different problem. Apparently, what I thought was the coolant temp sensor on my '93 2.3L quad 4 wasn't. The electrical connectors for the new piece and the "old" piece didn't match. The new piece's connector was oval shaped. The "old" piece's connector was a square shape with a notch in it.
Now I have no clue what the "old" part was since it is definitely not the one I thought it was. But the "old" part was pointed out by a friend of the family who is a mechanic. He said (and he pointed to the "old" part) "This could be your problem, the coolant temperature sensor. I would replace this, i'm 95% sure this is the problem..." but maybe he just wasn't sure exactly which one it was.
My question to those of you who read this is: What the hell is the "old" part? AND Where is the real coolant temperature sensor located on my engine. By the way, I have a Haynes manual and it's absolutely no help whatesoever.
Thanks for your help in advance and thanks for just reading this post. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Is this not what you purchased?

__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:40 AM   #11
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Cliffy could be right. I was thinking you had a Temp sensor and a Coolant level sensor. If ol Ceme was on line he could tell you.
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:56 AM   #12
93GrandAm
CF Newbie
 
93GrandAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Yes, that's exactly what I purchased, only brass in color. ( I don't think that matters though)
but the part I intended to replace didn't have the oval connector end. It was more of a square shape with a notch in one corner.
93GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:17 AM   #13
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GrandAm
Yes, that's exactly what I purchased, only brass in color. ( I don't think that matters though)
but the part I intended to replace didn't have the oval connector end. It was more of a square shape with a notch in one corner.

Well, I don't know Return it and take the old one with you, like Cliffy said.... But ,you can also buy a replacement oval electrical connector if you can't get the exact temp sensor replacement.
__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:17 AM   #14
93GrandAm
CF Newbie
 
93GrandAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GrandAm
Yes, that's exactly what I purchased, only brass in color. ( I don't think that matters though)
but the part I intended to replace didn't have the oval connector end. It was more of a square shape with a notch in one corner.

Also, the part with the square end... the knob at the opposite end (the end that does the reading) was shorter and larger in diameter than the part I purchased. Get what I mean?

................ ___
.........A)....|....|........B)..____
................|....|............|......|


(Please don't pay attention to the dots, I had to use them to hold the place of the characters for the crude drawings) * Figure A represents the end of the sesor I bought. Figure B represents the end of the sensor I pulled out of the engine today (crude drawings, very very very crude)
93GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:52 AM   #15
lectroid
0000?
 
lectroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redneck Hillbilly Heaven
Posts: 1,123
Do the threads on each sensor match and is it a two wire conductor/lead? Where did you buy this?????Adapter=

__________________
Life is not a bitch, it just came with the package. [IMG][/IMG]
Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

Last edited by lectroid : 05-06-2004 at 03:59 AM.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.