Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
joey024
CF Newbie

1992 accord running hot

I'm looking for help troubleshooting a problem with my 1992 Accord EX 4dr...

The temperature gauge will peg while car is moving (~35mph or more) in 50 degree F outside air. If I turn on the heater blower I can get the temperature gauge to move into normal operating range (No fun on a 95 degree day and is why I want to fix this before July). What causes the fan to operate? When the car is driven at high temperature, is the fan supposed to be on or does it rely solely on forced air?. As a sidenote, after I pull into garage, shut off car and get out, I then hear the fan kick on... Also, once I left car idling at high temp and the fan didn't come on... Maybe something with fan controls is my problem?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
joey024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
carls47807
CF Freak

i'm not sure why the fan would kick in after you shut the ignition off.

that being said, it is my understanding that the "temperature switch/sender" runs the radiator fan in most cases, and the "coolant temp. sensor/sender" runs the computer (fuel mixture, etc.)

so, maybe check the temperature switch/sender.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

some cars, the coolant temperature sensor feeds a signal to the ECM which operates the cooling fan and provides control imput. Other cars, this is done by two separate switches. I don't know how a Honda is wired
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Could be your thermostat and when was the last time you flushed your coolant? I can't remember fully but I believe when I had my 89 Prelude the fan would kick on after turning off the car. I researched it and I believe somewhere it told me that it was normal for the fan to kick on after to cool the engine quicker or something like that.

EDIT: I pulled this from Honda Tech "Relax, you have nothing to worry about as this is completely normal. The electric fan is almost a direct connection to the battery... the only thing not keeping it running ALL the time is a thermostatic switch in the water outlet cover.So yes, you should heed the warnings that Honda puts out telling you that fan can come on at any moment... it truly can."

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.

Last edited by Spanky2324 : 03-29-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote