Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

New York's new Taxi?

Just saw an article in my favourite car mag regarding news on a new NY Taxi. It's certainly different from the current style of Taxi in the US city. Below is the article, taken from Auto Express. Pics below it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Express
It's New York's new taxi! Or at least it could be if Ford has its way. The city's famous yellow cabs may be the stuff of legend, but with their thirsty V8 engines and tiny, cramped interiors, the cars are quickly becoming famous for all the wrong reasons.

So this is Ford's solution to the problem - a specially designed evolution of the Transit Connect. Featuring three comfortable seats in the rear, plus a smart payment system and secure plexiglass divider between driver and passenger the Ford is being touted as the cab as the future. The 2.0-litre TDCi diesel engine and compact exterior dimensions add to the appeal, as does the tough bodywork, specially finished to withstand parking scrapes and small accidents.

And the idea is much more than a pipe dream. Ford has announced that alsongside the new Fiesta, the company would like to bring the European designed and engineered Transit Connect to the USA, possibly as early as 2009.

Picys!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

it won't fly unless it's a hybrid.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
it won't fly unless it's a hybrid.
Meh, it's a diesel, what more do ya want?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Meh, it's a diesel, what more do ya want?
In the city it won't fly, people still associate diesel with noise and pollution, they want "clean and quiet." either electric, hydrogen or hybrid. Not that diesel isn't good, but people don't like it. Why do you think people don't want the VW TDI.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
In the city it won't fly, people still associate diesel with noise and pollution, they want "clean and quiet." either electric, hydrogen or hybrid. Not that diesel isn't good, but people don't like it. Why do you think people don't want the VW TDI.
People in general don't care what their taxi is running on...Unless they're an environmentalist, lol. That said though, I do think people (Governments mainly) big diesel up too much, as the combination of Buses, Taxis and lorries (rigs?) actually pollutes more than petrol power would...I guess, lol. It's probably less to do with diesel cars etc in the US, and more to do with guzzling V8s....

Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I don't really like that, but I'd ride in it.

I doubt it will happen in the next couple of years though, I think most of the cabbies in New York switched to hybrids, and they have to pay for the cars, so they probably won't switch until those are paid off.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

These aren't for general consumption, but for fleet use, where diesel is not a problem. And you get enough modern diesels in use where people ride in them regularly, and they become more accepted for the general public.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

I've never been in the back of a Crown Vic, but the back of a Town Car is quite large, certainly no smaller than that picture. What's this nonsense about the Crown Vic being cramped?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
These aren't for general consumption, but for fleet use, where diesel is not a problem. And you get enough modern diesels in use where people ride in them regularly, and they become more accepted for the general public.
But weren't they pushing for the busses and such to be Natural gas because of emissions? and they are for mass transprotation. You would think if they were going to make that big of a change they would do more than throw in a diesel. They have been using a few more honda and toyota vans lately, so a van is nothing realy new.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I've never been in the back of a Crown Vic, but the back of a Town Car is quite large, certainly no smaller than that picture. What's this nonsense about the Crown Vic being cramped?
It can get snug if you have more than 2 people or a lot of stuff, especialy if people want to use their laptops and such.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
But weren't they pushing for the busses and such to be Natural gas because of emissions? and they are for mass transprotation. You would think if they were going to make that big of a change they would do more than throw in a diesel. They have been using a few more honda and toyota vans lately, so a van is nothing realy new.

Diesel busses running on high sulfer diesel generated a lot of soot and emisions. they are also fairly large engines, so making them hybrids or natural gas or hydrogen makes sense. Ford was working on getting Escape Hybrids into the taxi fleets, but a small engine diesel running low sulfur fuel pollutes less and gets better fuel mileage in this application. And yeah, putting small diesels into minivans would do a good job, as well.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Well in the back of the Crown Vic they have plastic seats with places to put your hands so it isn't very comfortable especially when you have 2 shiny bracelets on
Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

You mean riding a taxi is like going to a Baptist college?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
Guru
CF Newbie

I don't exactly get the thing meaning riding in a Taxi is like going to a Babtist college. I don't really understand the analogy I guess you would say.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote