Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
willhf1011
CF Newbie

75 firebird

im currently looking at a 1975 FireBird. They are asking 2600 for it.
i believe it has 185,000 miles on it althought it could be 85,000 since the odometer resets after 99,999. It has a 350 egine with the 350 tranny. it has new tires, new breaks ect. the exterior is extremely nice and in great condition as in the interior. It is an automatic which is the only thing i would disagree with on it. Do you all think this would be a worthwhile buy for my first peice of american muscle? Also ive been told that it would be possible to change it over to a manual although i dont see that being an easy project. the work itself that the car would need is not an issue but i am a little more concerned with price. i would love to change it over to a 4 speed or so, so if someone could give me some info on thtta it would be great. Thanks

Last edited by willhf1011 : 06-25-2006 at 06:03 PM.
willhf1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

The price seems fine if it is in as good shape as you describe. While switching it over to a 4 speed is not imposiable.....it is however impractical.....just keep your eyes pealed for a 4 speed car....much easier to just start out with what you want.....
Old 06-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
What
Banned

A 75' Firebird is a badass car but if your new to American muscle, 87-93 Mustang V8 is what I'd recommend. More reliable and more modern and much less ass pain..
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
A 75' Firebird is a badass car but if your new to American muscle, 87-93 Mustang V8 is what I'd recommend. More reliable and more modern and much less ass pain..

how do you figure? for starters, they are much easier to work on. its kinda hard to mess up something that old. everything is so simple. no computer, no fuel injection, no electric anything (except ignition).
Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
how do you figure? for starters, they are much easier to work on. its kinda hard to mess up something that old. everything is so simple. no computer, no fuel injection, no electric anything (except ignition).

plus, why get a ford?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
Stupid following a stupid.

Quote:
Fox body Mustangs are easy and cheap to fix. Parts are much easier to find for a 87-93 Mustang than a 75 Firebird. And "something that old" breaks faster and more consistently than something not that old.

Also, these Mustangs that I speak aren't f*cking M5's. They don't have much electronics either.

No fuel injection? Fuel injection is a good thing.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
dodger65

Quote:

Fox body Mustangs are easy and cheap to fix. Parts are much easier to find for a 87-93 Mustang than a 75 Firebird. And "something that old" breaks faster and more consistently than something not that old.

Also, these Mustangs that I speak aren't f*cking M5's. They don't have much electronics either.

...but ford had a better idea... and mustangs can be a pain in the ass to work on....

Old 06-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
What
Banned

Quote:
Mustangs can be a pain in the ass to work on....
By pain in the ass you mean difficulty?

Placing a value on difficulty is almost impossible and commonly accepted to be an "opinionated" figure, especially on topics that aren't under great focus and control like "working on a car". What's difficult to you may be easy to me. Yeah, that sounds about right.

And what's the currency dissolved because of difficulty? Time? Time=money, right?...whatever. Again, because of the looseness of the subject, your placement of negative value on difficulty can not be properly gauged.

However, my place of emphasis on "sum of parts" can be more easily valued. I stated that a 75' Firebird is likely to have more parts in need of replacement than an 87'-93' Mustang...especially a 75' Firebird with an asking price of only $2,600 in a market period where owners are commonly demanding upwards of $9,000 for them. But anyway, parts cost money. $$Dollars$$ Unlike time, money doesn't need to be converted from an arbitrary capital into a definite note to place a value on it.

This is why I think it would be better for you financially to not buy the Firebird and invest in a more stable "musclecar".
Old 06-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

work wise, id take a stang over a firebird anyday...
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
dodger65

Quote:
By pain in the ass you mean difficulty?

Placing a value on difficulty is almost impossible and commonly accepted to be an "opinionated" figure, especially on topics that aren't under great focus and control like "working on a car". What's difficult to you may be easy to me. Yeah, that sounds about right.

And what's the currency dissolved because of difficulty? Time? Time=money, right?...whatever. Again, because of the looseness of the subject, your placement of negative value on difficulty can not be properly gauged.

However, my place of emphasis on "sum of parts" can be more easily valued. I stated that a 75' Firebird is likely to have more parts in need of replacement than an 87'-93' Mustang...especially a 75' Firebird with an asking price of only $2,600 in a market period where owners are commonly demanding upwards of $9,000 for them. But anyway, parts cost money. $$Dollars$$ Unlike time, money doesn't need to be converted from an arbitrary capital into a definite note to place a value on it.

This is why I think it would be better for you financially to not buy the Firebird and invest in a more stable "musclecar".

you evidently do not work on cars at all... fords are largely regarded, even among ford fans, as being difficult to work on, trouble prone, and unnecessarily complicated...

but if we're going to talk about sum of parts, how many breakable parts would a fuel injected mustang have vs. that 75 firebird? also, how long how much time would be spent comparatively diagnosing and repairing those parts? providing he's paying someone to do it. if he's asking simple questions here, chances are good that he's gonna be paying someone to fix his car for a while...

and the mustangs, while newer, are still 13-19 year old cars that have most likely had the sh*t pounded out of them... they're gonna break too...

Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #11
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:

they dont have much electronics? they have A LOT more than a 75 firebird. also, fuel injection being a good thing is all a matter of opinion. i like carburators. i think they should still be mass produced and still come on american vehicles. do not get into a pissing match with me about older v8 GM cars. you will loose
Old 06-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
What
Banned

Quote:
do not get into a pissing match with me about older v8 GM cars. you will loose
Shut the f*ck before I shame you.

I'll post pics and prices of my Fox Body rebuild and show you bitches how easy it is.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
dodger65

Quote:
Shut the f*ck before I shame you.

I'll post pics and prices of my Fox Body rebuild and show you bitches how easy it is.

shame away...

Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #14
What
Banned

Quote:
shame away...
What?
You and glagon1979 dating? Why are you speaking for him?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 AM   #15
dodger65

Quote:
What?
You and glagon1979 dating?

not just yet...

Quote:
Why are you speaking for him?

because i want to see your attempt to shame someone....