Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
87Stanzaman
CF Newbie

87 Stanza Wagon stalling

315K miles...shop installed New Jasper block and transmission. After 2.5 months w/ them and 3 wks w/ dealer, got it back and have been driving with two feet to keep the revs up at stoplights. MPG used to be 24/27,had dropped to 19/20...now seems to be back up to 24. They couldn't get it to stop dying INTERMITANTLY BUT VERY OFTEN when stopping (after initial 15 minutes running fine), although it starts right back up. Also when it starts to choke down and I catch it, it's slow to get back to smooth running(about 5 seconds). Steep hills(going down) will definately cause it. Also occasionally, it skips a beat. All hoses, diaphrams, MAF, O2 sensor, thermostat, water pump, computer, wiring, flywheel, distributor, alternator, plugs, wires, fuel pump/relay filter either changed/checked...if replacement didn't fix it, they put original part back. Might be an an aside, but some of the switches have gone on the blink...cruise,back wiper and back defrost only 3 of the wires heat up...also radio speakers are cutting in and out and I had to replace the brake lights fuse (4/1/08) . Have put about 7k miles on it since above repairs.

Last edited by 87Stanzaman : 04-04-2008 at 10:21 PM.
87Stanzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
DBain
CF Enthusiast

With a new engine in there I'd bring it back to the people who put it in and tell them they F'd up. Honestly with issues like that it could be a number of things but i'm willing to bet their installation caused it somehow. My girlfriend bought a '06 sebring which overheated on her. Turns out when the place she bought it from put in a new engine they installed the radiator hose to close to the block, which melted through, so it's not uncommon for a professional shop to pork you on overhauls.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
JPolito830
CF Newbie

I second the post above. There are so many issues that could be the problem...I think you should let the business that installed it know. There shouldnt be a problem, since it is their fault.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
87Stanzaman
CF Newbie

No, it was an ongoing communication between us during the 3 months they and the dealer had it, and I didn't choose to refuse payment because I felt like they had made an honest effort. Probably should have but it ain't my nature to be a hardass... It'll be interesting to see how long before it seizes up! Parts anyone?
87Stanzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
DBain
CF Enthusiast

If you've got the cash bring it to a good mechanic. The only problem is unless the guy will hook you up electrical around here goes for $70+/hr and they charge by the hour for as long as it takes, including getting it to die. I'm assuming you've looked around under the hood and dash and looked for any loose grounds or connections, anything that looks melted like there's been some arcing going on. Especially around the alternator and fuse panels.
Also does it idle steady and in the right place. Could be a TPS or idle set too low.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote