Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
ScubyLover
CF Newbie

What car should I get?

Hi, I'm going to turn 17 soon and getting a car. My dad says he can pay around 25,000 for my first car. Since I've always loved the STi; I was planning to get the 04 one they were selling at a Subaru dealership.

What I am asking you guys/girls is what car should I get for 25,000. Sorry, I don't like much domestic cars. Suggestions please?
ScubyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Dont get anything with over ~130 horsepower for a first car. Driving isnt as easy as you might think, especially when 300 horsepower is tempting your foot..start slow, youll be a better driver later.

If you are set on something sporty though, tell daddy to save 5 grand and get you a new Civic Si. Its plenty quick but not enough to be dangerous to a new driver, and it will be fun even after you get the basics down.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

I agree with the first half of what newyorker said, but not the second half. Instead of getting the Civic or Subaru, get whatever you are comfortable in. Lower horsepower can help to reduce the probability that you will end up around a tree or in a ditch, but whatever you choose, sit in it for a while first, make sure it is comfortable and you can see/reach everything you need to.
When considering your first car, think of what you will be using it for. Have a lot of friends, or are you planning to go away to college? maybe a sedan or crossover is a better option so you can fit people/luggage. Are you going to be driving a lot? be sure it is comfortable and reliable, and don't forget about fuel economy. Do you get a lot of snow? maybe you want something that has AWD and good traction. Rough roads? good suspension.

The laws of probability state that you will more likely than not be in an accident, so don't forget about safety, especially at your age. It doesn't matter how fast or furious your car is, one stupid move and you are a slab of granite in a field.

One last thing, not that you will listen, but I think it needs to be said. Don't hate a car you have never driven. It doesn't hurt to test drive a domestic car. If you walk into any dealer and tell them you have $25,000 of your daddy's money to spend, they will be kissing the ground you walk on, as you are their favorite class of customer. Young, ignorant, and money. Try out as many cars as you can, even if they only let you drive around the lot.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
ScubyLover
CF Newbie

I understand what you guys are saying, but I've driven with my dad back when I was 14 with my dad's 91 Accord Ex. I drove my friend's manual truck which was a Dakota V8. Truthfully, I don't know but insurance will be pretty high on an STi.
ScubyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #5
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

It sounds as though you are set on the STi but if you are paying your own insurance, an STi would kill your wallet. The more your car is worth the more your insurance will be. I believe tbaxleyjr is usually the one that explains how insurance works here, you could search the forum, it has been discussed. If you have a more expensive car and you get into an accident, your rates will go to the moon. As I said before, you will have an accident, it happens to the best of us, just hope it is a fender bender.
Saying that you have driven before does not at all mean you are experienced. For at least the first year that you drive, you will have tunnel vision, and you won't know it until you ride with a new driver after you have been driving for a while.

My honest opinion? drive a beater for a year or 2 before you go getting your dream car.

I believe on sites like geico you can compare insurance rates on different cars.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

09 Accord Coupe..fin.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubyLover
I understand what you guys are saying, but I've driven with my dad back when I was 14 with my dad's 91 Accord Ex. I drove my friend's manual truck which was a Dakota V8. Truthfully, I don't know but insurance will be pretty high on an STi.
My friend is 20 and a perfect driving record, he has an 06 STi, in his dad's name, 300 a month for full coverage..it will vary by area just get a quote from your carrier, but I still say its a bad idea. I hate hearing about kids that die when they buy sports cars that they cant handle, ive had to deal with it myself which makes it all the more meaningful.

An STi is not like an Accord, or a Dakota. I can compare it to a Porsche Carrera, an Audi S4 4.2 v8, basically what I consider to be very fast cars, especially for a 17 year old. If you are totally set on a Subaru, get a WRX first just be careful they have weak trannies. I still recomend getting something slow first, you can always sell it and get an STi later, but you cant pay to bring yourself back to life.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
My honest opinion? drive a beater for a year or 2 before you go getting your dream car.

If you end up screwing up with the beater, then you'll know for sure that you didn't need the rocket. If you don't screw up, you can have satisfaction from the fact that you'll be less likely to screw up your dream car.

EDIT: 2,222 posts ftw

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

your not ready for AWD powaaa.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #10
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKtEAGLE
your not ready for AWD powaaa.
I say that to everyone that wants to drive my car

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #11
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
I say that to everyone that wants to drive my car
and plus their not ready for the clutch. ACT 2600 ownzzzz

Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 AM   #12
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKtEAGLE
and plus their not ready for the clutch. ACT 2600 ownzzzz
ha stock clutch owns em too lol.

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #13
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
ha stock clutch owns em too lol.
yupperz