Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Jpos
CF Newbie

99 Eclipse GS performance help

I have a 99 Eclipse GS and I havent really done anything yet to it but put an air intake and a system in it. Im planing on putting a turbo in.. but I dont really know what else to do to it? Any ideas??? (oh and please dont reply telling me to sell my car for a civic or something.. or that eclipses suck.. because ive heard it all.. this is more for a bet then for a car im going to have until I die)
Jpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

4G63T swap wit a sexy FMIC

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpos
I have a 99 Eclipse GS and I havent really done anything yet to it but put an air intake and a system in it. Im planing on putting a turbo in.. but I dont really know what else to do to it? Any ideas??? (oh and please dont reply telling me to sell my car for a civic or something.. or that eclipses suck.. because ive heard it all.. this is more for a bet then for a car im going to have until I die)
What idiot would tell you to sell a DSM and buy a Honda Anyways yeah do what Eagle said and throw a 4G63 in it with that nice turbo. Your buddy who wants you to buy a Honda won't know what to say when you blow by.

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
What idiot would tell you to sell a DSM and buy a Honda Anyways yeah do what Eagle said and throw a 4G63 in it with that nice turbo. Your buddy who wants you to buy a Honda won't know what to say when you blow by.
hehe Newyorker

Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKtEAGLE
hehe Newyorker
I LOLed when I saw that
Old 03-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Jpos
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKtEAGLE
4G63T swap wit a sexy FMIC

The only thing is.. I have no clue what that is.. hahaha, please bear with my ignorance.. I dont really know too much about cars yet.. thats why im asking before I get something and blow my self up not knowing how to use it.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Ok I'll break it down for ya. The Mitsubishi Eclipse comes as either a non turbo or turbo. You own a GS which is a non turbo. The engine code for you is 420A. Eagle and I own the turbo model which the engine code is 4G63T(the t stands for turbo) You could turbo your car it has been done numerous times but the easier route is to sell your car(not for a pos civic) and get a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX or Eagle Talon TSI. Both are the same car just a different body style to them. Hope this helps you.

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Jpos
CF Newbie

Well I would do that. Actually I was gonna buy a GSX in the first place.. but I couldnt get the car back to my house.. so I had to settle for a GS. And I couldnt find any other deals for 6,500 or under. But me and my friend bet that if when he gets a WRX, he thinks he would be able to beat my car in a quarter mile, and a mile run if I got to spend twice as much money as he is going to put into his car.. if that makes sense. So thats why im keeping this car. I know its a pretty dumb bet.. but I doubt hes ever gonna get a WRX.. so I dont have to worry. But idk.. for some reason I really wanna keep this car and see how good I can make it. Its just a side project, and I dont really plan on going the whole nine yards. But Just to put a few cool things into it would make me happy.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Turboing an N/A motor is probably beyond your abilities. No offense meant, but you should probably start with baby steps. First you need to figure out what exactly you have under the hood, seeing the other thread you seem a bit confused. Like I said in the other thread, take a pic and these guys will probably be able to figure it out.

Also, when you start adding lots of power to DSMs, they become unreliable...see Spanky's sig. If you plan on modding the car a lot, I highly suggest saving up and getting the turbo AWD version. Your car will take A LOT of time and money to be made fast, while the turbo AWD can be made fast for very cheap. Unreliable, but as it's been said, "cheap, fast, reliable,...choose 2 out of the 3".

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
newyorker
MXman

If you are using the 420a powerplant its not a bad one. Its the same engine as the first generation dodge neon (with small exceptions) and ive seen them put down good numbers.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #11
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Turboing an N/A motor is probably beyond your abilities. No offense meant, but you should probably start with baby steps. First you need to figure out what exactly you have under the hood, seeing the other thread you seem a bit confused. Like I said in the other thread, take a pic and these guys will probably be able to figure it out.

Also, when you start adding lots of power to DSMs, they become unreliable...see Spanky's sig. If you plan on modding the car a lot, I highly suggest saving up and getting the turbo AWD version. Your car will take A LOT of time and money to be made fast, while the turbo AWD can be made fast for very cheap. Unreliable, but as it's been said, "cheap, fast, reliable,...choose 2 out of the 3".
hey not all dsm r unreliable.