Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Need4Speed90
CF Newbie

74 Chevelle or Nova

Alright, so i already have the pre-conceived notion that i will get a lot of negative feed back on what i am about to ask help with. I have plans to get a 1974 Chevelle or Nova, not SS. I am looking at taking it to something people would probably make people look down on me. I don't want all the macho big block engine due to gas prices, and plus i already have a 65 Mustang coupe that i have a 289 and 4sp for. Anyway, I'm looking at placing a more modern 6cyl engine in it. For example: 1974 chevelle, take out a v6 of a 1994 chevy S10 with a 5 speed. I want to put the 6cyl and 5sp into the Chevelle. What all would i need to go through with this? Don't be too harsh lol.
Need4Speed90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

At first I was going to ask why you would get negative feedback, but then i saw your user name, and the scale started to tip toward BS. So then I looked for your other posts, as to see if you were realy only 17, and look what I found!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed90 on 10-6-07
Ok, so i am 17 and dont have the money to buy a new car, so im planning on just replacing the engine that will come out of my 1994 Hyundai Elantra, which by the way.. has absolutly nothing for it performance wise.. or even visual wise either. And i've heard that the easiest engine swap for my Elantra would have to be with the Mitsu Lancer Evo 4G63T engine with MT AWD. and my question(s) is/are...what is everything that i need to take into consideration? how much will it cost to turn my FWD into a AWD? Do i have to change my car into an AWD? or do i just have to get a transmission that is front wheel drive that will go with the eingine?
so let me get this straight. You want me to believe that you, a 17 YO busboy that wants to get into tuning cars and couldn't afford a newer car 6 months ago, has a 65 mustang V8 and plans to get a 74 Chevelle or Nova. on top of that you plan on getting a newer v6 and 5 spd and putting them in it? Where did you get all the money from? And if there is any truth to all of this, and you plan on pimping out a chevelle or nova, you can expect a lot of negative feedback from me.
Maybe I am wrong, but something smells fishy.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Need4Speed90
CF Newbie

yea..6 months ago

My rents bought the car. They used money that they had been saving up to get me a new car once i graduate. The motor only cost me 425 which i used from my savings account, and that only left me with like a hundred dollars, its been a long haul. And its not necessarily a newer 6cyl. Just one that i can get from a junkyard for cheap. Nothing should be fishy from any of this, i dont do or sell drugs, im clean. and im not really looking to trick it out, just put the 6cyl and 5sp in, the nova's i see around my town have a lot of surface rust on them, and i could possibly get for 200 at most. The engine and tranny i can find for another 250.... 400 isnt that big of a deal. When i posted that 6 months ago i was talking about going into JDM cars. Which run easily around 2k if you go for an alright car. Domestic i can find pretty cheap. It's cool with the negativity i expected there to be some.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

ok, i might believe you for now, just a couple questions
1. Which car did your parents buy?
2. Did you buy a motor, if yes, for what?
3. Do you realize that customizing is going to be your biggest expense? Unless you have metal fabrication experience, there is no way it is going to be cheep. Things like motor mounts and engine controls will have to be custome made, unless you find a kit for your specific engine and car. A cheep engine from a junk yard can also be a headache. Junk yards aren't always careful when they pull an engine and may just blowtourch their way through wires and such that may be in the way. Also keep in mind that newer engines may have more complex electronics that you will need to figure out. Depending on differences in weight distribusion, you may also need suspension work.
4. Surface rust is called surface rust because it is visable, surface rust is the least of your worries. structural rust can be a disaster waiting to happen. Thoroughly inspect the underside of any car you are thinking of buying.
5. any pix of the pony?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Need4Speed90
CF Newbie

My parents bought the mustang, I bought the 289 for it, it only had a stock l6 in it, wanted more power. I do have pics, but the motor isnt in the car yet.. i will try to get them on here in a bit.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Need4Speed90
CF Newbie

Alright, so if i wanted to reduce the difficulty of the whole thing, would an 84 S10 6cyl and 5sp be a better choice? Or do you have any suggestions as to a 6 that i could get that i could add some power to? Any suggestions at all?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed90
Alright, so if i wanted to reduce the difficulty of the whole thing, would an 84 S10 6cyl and 5sp be a better choice? Or do you have any suggestions as to a 6 that i could get that i could add some power to? Any suggestions at all?
v6 s10 naw. but i cant believe that im saying this. but a v8 s10 wit 5sp would beat all

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Last edited by DARKtEAGLE : 03-28-2008 at 02:47 AM.
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 AM   #8
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKtEAGLE
v6 s10 naw. but I cant believe that I'm saying this. but a v8 s10 wit 5sp would beat all
He wanted a V6 because of gas prices, which I can understand, not that I would do the same, but I am an originalist.

My biggest concern would be if there is any kind of electronic emissions control or fuel injection that would give you grief. I would think for ease of instillation you would want a carbed engine, but then usually fuel economy will suffer, and you have to worry about a high mileage engine. Keep in mind that the engine bay on a truck is probably shorter than on a car, so if you plan on using an engine-tranny setup whole, check where the shifter and clutch will land. You don't want the shifter up against your dash, and you might not want the weight of the engine too far back in the engine bay.

Conclusion: It is probably more difficult and expensive than it sounds. You probably should have left the I6 in the pony and gotten a different car to put the V8 in.
It can be done, but would take a lot of planning and research.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:22 AM   #9
corbett_auto
CF Addict

So far the info given has been very practical..... instead of going back over what has already been said. Here is how I would rationalize it. Think of it as a math problem. Below are just a few numbers off the top of my head someone (anyone feel free to correct the numbers as you see fit)

289 mustang - 12 MPG
V6 5sp combo in a Nova - 22 MPG
price of a gal of gas $3.25
price of the car plus parts for conversion $5000 (this is way low and not a practical number but should prove my point)
Miles driven per week 500

so based on the above numbers.....

Mustang would use 42 gal/week - $136.50
Nova would use 23 gal/week - $74.75

for a difference of $61.75/week

5000 / 61.75 = 80 weeks..... over a 1 1/2 years just to break even.

So I'd say keep the mustang or if gas prices have really got you down the idea of swapping the six back into the Stang may be the better option.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
So far the info given has been very practical..... instead of going back over what has already been said. Here is how I would rationalize it. Think of it as a math problem. Below are just a few numbers off the top of my head someone (anyone feel free to correct the numbers as you see fit)

289 mustang - 12 MPG
V6 5sp combo in a Nova - 22 MPG
price of a gal of gas $3.25
price of the car plus parts for conversion $5000 (this is way low and not a practical number but should prove my point)
Miles driven per week 500

so based on the above numbers.....

Mustang would use 42 gal/week - $136.50
Nova would use 23 gal/week - $74.75

for a difference of $61.75/week

5000 / 61.75 = 80 weeks..... over a 1 1/2 years just to break even.

So I'd say keep the mustang or if gas prices have really got you down the idea of swapping the six back into the Stang may be the better option.
What about resale value?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
What about resale value?

Resale value is not a concern I normally factor in.... Resale of classic cars is very subjective and can not be easily determined. In most cases deviation from original is not necessarily a bad thing... and there is not much you could do to a non-SS GM car to hurt resale.

Is this what you were getting at or am I off base?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
Resale value is not a concern I normally factor in.... Resale of classic cars is very subjective and can not be easily determined. In most cases deviation from original is not necessarily a bad thing... and there is not much you could do to a non-SS GM car to hurt resale.

Is this what you were getting at or am I off base?
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking about.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #13
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Just to clarify I am not against the idea... I actually like it. But I would not recommend it to anyone on a budget. I own a Gran Prix GTP with the supercharged V6. I have always thought it would be cool to drop it into a mid 60's Nova with modern suspension. But I was equally enjoy the same car with the factory 6.

Sometimes you have to sit down a rationalize the idea behind a project. Do you truly want a modern V6 for the fuel economy or just to be different? As you can see doing it simply for the economics does not make sense....being different has advantages too, but can end up eating deep into a budget.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
Need4Speed90
CF Newbie

Yea, im goin for both, economics and difference. Thanks for all the imput guys, i will sit down and try to figure something out.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #15
thefonz
CF Addict

As far as the mustang goes, putting a V8 in one that came with a 6 cyl, there's more to look at than just the engine swap. Suspension was different between the 6 and 8 cyl. mustangs.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote