Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Austrailian Cars

I recently went to Australia and noticed the Australian Ford models are much cooler than US models. For example, the Ford Falcon FPV F6 is an I6 turbo that makes 400 hp. I don't see why Australia doesn't change them to right-side driver and import them to the US. They would sell great.

Here is a review:
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...pv_typhoon.htm

A specs pdf:
http://www.ford.com.au/RESOURCES/pdf...ange_specs.pdf

So, what do you guys think about it?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:20 AM   #2
CAMEL
CF Newbie

But you wouldn't expect anything else, would you?
CAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #3
agent_b
CF Newbie

Wow, I'm not a Ford man myself (Chev Guy), but damn that isn't half bad

agent_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
my67falcon
CF Newbie

Australia has been building fast 6 bangers for a while now. In the late ‘60s and thru the ‘70s Australian Chrysler’s had an inline 6 Hemi that eventually was good for more than 300 hp without a turbo or supercharger. They do some wicked things with cars down under .

http://www.valiant.org/charger.html
Old 05-07-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
cinqyg
CF Freak

Cool Ozzy cars

Well, as we all know there are not actually that many manufactures in the world.

Here in england we have ford, ie ford volvo, jag, landrover. GM ie Vauxhall, Saab, Daewoo, Isuzu, sort of FIAT. VW ie VW Audi Seat Skoda Rolls-Royce Porshe. Chrysler, Chrysler, Dodge, Merc kinda Renault. PSA, Pergeot citroen. Nissan. Toyota (Lexus). Honda. There are a few others but you have the idea. Most the the manufactures have diffrent product ranges for diffrent geographical areas. and some change the name of there brand with the area, GM are the best example of this. In Oz there Holden. There aresome interesting things going on, becuse the euro range is couple with some american engines to produce the equiverlent of the Camero/TA.

Have a look at www.hsv.com I really like the maloo R8, kinda like the el camio, (sorry not that great with all the american car names). What do you think of it?

I know what your saying about the changing to LHD but i dont think they would sell. you dont get any concept of space in the pictures, and you americans wouldnt cope, well in my experiance. To give you an idea of size the bigest car in the range is no bigger than a grand am.

The same with the ford models they are genrally Euro models becuase of fuel prices and emmsions regs are diffrent. In the england "gas" is about $5.90 US per US gallon.

As we all know weight is one of the main enemys of performance. Size is a function of weight, so the smaller you make the car then the better millage, acelaration etc you get out.

Another enamy of performace is Auto boxes which here in the uk are very rare same is true in Oz and at our fuel prices you can see how it focuses the mind.

We are big on inline 4's here stock for stock they oftern give more power to weight. with better consumption. www.arielmotors.co.uk

I dont think that there is a willingness to drive manuals in the us so all the american manuals i have driven that were designed for american engines are pretty awful, so i totally understand why you lot dont like them. I am not that fond of autos because of the loss of control, especially when cornering.

I am sure if GM thought that they could sell a few ozzy cars in the states they would sort it out, until then. I think you will have to either import and convert youself. or put up with it, just like we have to in the RHD world.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:07 PM   #6
muzza
CF Newbie

Aussie cars r the best

im not a ford person more in to Holden(GM) but look at this ford at this for a straight 6 at http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/falcon/phase_iii.htm
muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #7
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Holy crap that stage III is nice.

Holden makes some nice V8's too, but I'm just not a V8 guy.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
Want_2_Go_Fast
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
I know what your saying about the changing to LHD but i dont think they would sell. you dont get any concept of space in the pictures, and you americans wouldnt cope, well in my experiance. To give you an idea of size the bigest car in the range is no bigger than a grand am.
Are you saying that aussie cars are small? Or am I reading it wrong?

Quote:
Another enamy of performace is Auto boxes which here in the uk are very rare same is true in Oz and at our fuel prices you can see how it focuses the mind.
I'd say the majority of cars in Oz are auto. More so 6 & 8cyl vehicles.

Quote:
I am sure if GM thought that they could sell a few ozzy cars in the states they would sort it out, until then. I think you will have to either import and convert youself. or put up with it, just like we have to in the RHD world.
GM are selling Ozzy cars in the US. The Pontiac GTO is a Holden Monaro.
Want_2_Go_Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want_2_Go_Fast
Are you saying that aussie cars are small? Or am I reading it wrong?

I'd say the majority of cars in Oz are auto. More so 6 & 8cyl vehicles.

GM are selling Ozzy cars in the US. The Pontiac GTO is a Holden Monaro.

The point i am trying to make is that compared to american cars the euro and oz range is small (dimensions) where the monaro (vectra) over here is considered a family car it would not be in the usa. The GTO is considered a smaller car, and if you put it next to F350 or sevile god forbid a lincoln navigator, it looks like a 2/3 sized car. which it is in the usa. The GTO is genrally aimed at transporting 1 or 2 people with space to put a few people in the back ocationally. In the uk you would expect people to be in the back all the time.

I know that Ozzys are big on bigger engines but thats mainly becuase you have a similar enviroment to the americans long straight roads grid layed out towns.

Another good point is your fuel is still cheaper than ours here in the uk. Its $10.45 Austrailan a gallon here ($2.30 per litre austrailian) thats more than twice the price you are typically paying in the country and 2.5 times the price than you would pay in the city (brisbane for example).
Old 06-13-2004, 09:46 AM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

Last edited by Wally : 06-18-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:29 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
where the monaro (vectra) over here is considered a family car it would not be in the usa.
Sorry, but the Manaro is most definatelly NOT a Vectra, if anything, it's like an Omega Coupe. My reasoning? Well, the Vectra is Front Wheel Drive whereas the Monaro is Rear Wjeel Drive, the standard engine in the Monaro is a V8 where only top end Vectra's get even a V6!...It isn't really either the Vectra or the Omega, it just has more in common with the BIG Vauxhall lol ie; Rear Wheel Drive, more engine variaty (although not a V8 yet ) and all together a larger vehicle

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 10:33 AM   #12
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Sorry, but the Manaro is most definatelly NOT a Vectra, if anything, it's like an Omega Coupe. My reasoning? Well, the Vectra is Front Wheel Drive whereas the Monaro is Rear Wjeel Drive, the standard engine in the Monaro is a V8 where only top end Vectra's get even a V6!...It isn't really either the Vectra or the Omega, it just has more in common with the BIG Vauxhall lol ie; Rear Wheel Drive, more engine variaty (although not a V8 yet ) and all together a larger vehicle

Its a vectra m8, The enlarge the tunnel to make it a proper tranny tunnel, then when you swing the engine around there is loads of room becuase you dont have the diff and g box in the way. Have a look at the comodore and its vectra through and through.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Its a vectra m8, The enlarge the tunnel to make it a proper tranny tunnel, then when you swing the engine around there is loads of room becuase you dont have the diff and g box in the way. Have a look at the comodore and its vectra through and through.
What I was trying to say was, you stated that the Monaro was a Vectra, to be able to say that you have to meen it IS actually a Vectra with a different name, like the Poniac GTO is the Monaro with GTO badging

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 06-13-2004, 10:50 AM   #14
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
What I was trying to say was, you stated that the Monaro was a Vectra, to be able to say that you have to meen it IS actually a Vectra with a different name, like the Poniac GTO is the Monaro with GTO badging

well i see it as a vectra, like a 4wd L200 and a 2wd brava same thing really just diffrent bolt on bits. similar to a seat leon, golf, A3, octavia etc. You can actually take a door of one and bolt it on the other and it will fit!
Old 06-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
well i see it as a vectra, like a 4wd L200 and a 2wd brava same thing really just diffrent bolt on bits. similar to a seat leon, golf, A3, octavia etc. You can actually take a door of one and bolt it on the other and it will fit!
LOL...where did that come from mate?

As for your theory, if you wanna try taking a door off a Golf and bolting it to a Seat Leon (or an Octavia) go for your life mate....but it wont work, wanna know why?..coz they are different shapes!

However, if you were to do the same to the fourth coming GTO.....Yes, it would work, because it IS essentially the same as the Monaro!