Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you purchase a Smart car?
Yes, to save the planet 2 16.67%
Yes, to save money 2 16.67%
Yes, it looks cool 4 33.33%
No, it's not safe 4 33.33%
No, it's too expensive 4 33.33%
No, it's not fuel efficient enough 3 25.00%
No, it's way to small/impractical 7 58.33%
No, it's ugly 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
Smart Car

Today for the first time I saw a smart car on US roads. I've seen them before in Alberta, and I thought they looked tiny in a parking space. Today I saw one alongside an 18 wheeler on the highway, and it didn't look that small any more. It looked about the same size as a Honda Fit, in fact thats what I thought it was at first from behind. Once I got along side it I realized it was shorter than the Fit.

I would almost consider the fortwo cabriolet if it was cheaper, but it is basically useless for more than moving 2 people, heck, you could hardly fit groceries in it. It would be nice for commuting to school, but the fuel economy isn't even that fabulous, 40/45 on 91 octane.


I find it funny how there are like 20 dealers each in Southern California, Florida, and the NY/NJ/CT tristate area, and like 5 other dealers for the rest of the US. guess you can't exactly throw a hay bale in the back of it...
Some how the smart car seams like another one of those feel/look good things for environmentalist wackos, along with cloth bags and "earth hour"
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
The styling is alright, but it's pretty pointless seeing how you have the storage capacity and fuel economy (a bit worse than that) of a motorcycle--and less power than a motorcycle.

Pricing is pretty good though, for what you get. There's a Mercedes dealership about 5 minutes from my house that sells them, but they aren't that popular. Between the Fortwo and the Fit, I'd take the Fit.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
They've been for sale here in Baltimore for a few years, first through the local exotic car dealership for the mid $20k range, now through official Smart dealers in the area. A couple co-workers have them, and they seem to do fine.

What they are is a fashion statement, in the same way that a smaller cell phone or smaller laptop computer is a fashion statement. At that, they are a great way of popularizing getting into tiny city cars in urban settings, and OUT of oversized vehicles like SUVs that are only being used to ferry one person on a commute.

The problem they face is the same one that's faced every small car ever: there's always something bigger and "more practical" for the same or a little more money. Well, if a little bigger is better, then a LOT bigger must be best yet, which is the exact mindset that got people out of small cars and into SUVs in the first place.

In order to reverse that thinking, we HAVE to stop comparing them to bigger cars and making the bigger car out to be the better value.

That's also why all small cars have become so much bigger over the years. Compare a modern Civic with a '70s Civic. The new Civic is so big they had to introduce a smaller car, the Fit, to move into the slot it left years ago. And even the Fit is considerably larger than a '70s Civic.

So, encourage this particular fashion statement, even if it's not the most fuel efficient. By making them popular and a viable market, then NEW, efficient versions will be introduced, and keep prices down, just like with laptops and cell phones.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The problem they face is the same one that's faced every small car ever: there's always something bigger and "more practical" for the same or a little more money. Well, if a little bigger is better, then a LOT bigger must be best yet, which is the exact mindset that got people out of small cars and into SUVs in the first place.

In order to reverse that thinking, we HAVE to stop comparing them to bigger cars and making the bigger car out to be the better value.

That's also why all small cars have become so much bigger over the years. Compare a modern Civic with a '70s Civic. The new Civic is so big they had to introduce a smaller car, the Fit, to move into the slot it left years ago. And even the Fit is considerably larger than a '70s Civic.
My problem is that they have absolutely no flexibility. Unless they made a small trailer for them or something, I don't see how they could be practical. My car, i could shoehorn small pieces of furniture in if I had to. The smart, I don't even know if it could hold a folding chair. Then what about a few 80 lb bags of rock salt for the water softener? or an 8' 2x4? or 3 people? Sure, the Smart would be great for a commute, but you would need another vehicle for everything else. Then as Chris_Knows stated, you would be better off with a motorcycle.
I would love to have a Fortwo, especially with gas prices going the way they are, but I can't afford to insure 2 cars, never mind purchase them. If they had a little trailer you could throw on for that occasional trip to Home Depot, I would seriously consider one, but it's just not practical.
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
My problem is that they have absolutely no flexibility. Unless they made a small trailer for them or something, I don't see how they could be practical. My car, i could shoehorn small pieces of furniture in if I had to. The smart, I don't even know if it could hold a folding chair. Then what about a few 80 lb bags of rock salt for the water softener? or an 8' 2x4? or 3 people? Sure, the Smart would be great for a commute, but you would need another vehicle for everything else. Then as Chris_Knows stated, you would be better off with a motorcycle.
I would love to have a Fortwo, especially with gas prices going the way they are, but I can't afford to insure 2 cars, never mind purchase them. If they had a little trailer you could throw on for that occasional trip to Home Depot, I would seriously consider one, but it's just not practical.
I don't see a trailer in the near future, the Smart only puts out 70hp.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #6
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
They make trailers and sidecars for motorcycles, it wouldn't have to be anything big, just a little extra room for some larger items, or a little more luggage.
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I don't see a trailer in the near future, the Smart only puts out 70hp.


And what do the little hatchbacks of yesteryear produce? I'm talking Chevy Sprints, Pontiac Fireflys, Suzuki Swifts, Geo Metros. All those little 1.0L I3 engines couldn't be cranking much power, yet I know people who have used Sprints to TOW other vehicles(albeit other small hatches, but still).

In fact, for example, the first gen base engine in a Firefly only put out 46hp...
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
And what do the little hatchbacks of yesteryear produce? I'm talking Chevy Sprints, Pontiac Fireflys, Suzuki Swifts, Geo Metros. All those little 1.0L I3 engines couldn't be cranking much power, yet I know people who have used Sprints to TOW other vehicles(albeit other small hatches, but still).

In fact, for example, the first gen base engine in a Firefly only put out 46hp...
When the car gets moving, it doesn't need much power, but from a stop it feels like it can barely carry its own weight lol.

But yeah, I guess towing something that isn't particularly heavy could be a good idea.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
Today for the first time I saw a smart car on US roads. I've seen them before in Alberta, and I thought they looked tiny in a parking space. Today I saw one alongside an 18 wheeler on the highway, and it didn't look that small any more. It looked about the same size as a Honda Fit, in fact thats what I thought it was at first from behind. Once I got along side it I realized it was shorter than the Fit.

I would almost consider the fortwo cabriolet if it was cheaper, but it is basically useless for more than moving 2 people, heck, you could hardly fit groceries in it. It would be nice for commuting to school, but the fuel economy isn't even that fabulous, 40/45 on 91 octane.


I find it funny how there are like 20 dealers each in Southern California, Florida, and the NY/NJ/CT tristate area, and like 5 other dealers for the rest of the US. guess you can't exactly throw a hay bale in the back of it...
Some how the smart car seams like another one of those feel/look good things for environmentalist wackos, along with cloth bags and "earth hour"

Interesting, we've had the Smart here in Canada for a few years now, but they are diesels. 800 cc turbo diesel I believe. --Just checked, they must have changed it this model year.
__________________
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
I voted "no, its not safe". Smart claims to have the "tridion safety cell" or whatever they call it, but the fact is that the crumple zones are tiny compared to any other car. Maybe I am missing something, but I can only assume that the whiplash in a crash will kill you quicker than you would die if your hand got crushed in the roof or something else.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I voted "no, its not safe". Smart claims to have the "tridion safety cell" or whatever they call it, but the fact is that the crumple zones are tiny compared to any other car. Maybe I am missing something, but I can only assume that the whiplash in a crash will kill you quicker than you would die if your hand got crushed in the roof or something else.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmiV2PFluM


70mph into a brick wall and you can still open the passenger door.....seems pretty damn safe if you ask me.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmiV2PFluM


70mph into a brick wall and you can still open the passenger door.....seems pretty damn safe if you ask me.
Your body wouldn't get crushed by the car, but without crumple zones, it could still do some internal damage. Also, how big is the car? Like could your forehead reach the windshield when you're wearing a seatbelt?
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Trust me, they're as safe as anything you're driving now.

And for most people 90% of the time you're just carrying yourself, no furniture. Remember that's the current complaint about SUV drivers, that they don't actually use the vehicles.

Most people in urban (and suburban) environments rarely need to take more than just themselves and maybe a passenger with them. Especially for commuting into downtown in stop and go traffic. Parking is easier, they fit in traffic better, they fit in the driveway or garage better, and really, when you NEED to move a lot of stuff, rent a truck. Or borrow one from a friend.

There's nothing stopping someone from having a second, larger vehicle for those occasional times when you need more vehicle, but for most commuters and city dwellers, small cars like this are perfect.

Compared to a motorcycle, there's no case of helmet head, no being out in the weather, especially when it's cold or wet, and your passenger doesn't have to put up with either of those things, either.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
.
.
I love 'em! I've been waiting for them to come locally since a trip to Europe a few years ago. I think they would fit my needs perfectly. I have too many cars at the moment as it is, however I wouldn't mind adding another if it was a Smart car. Not cabriolet though...

Maybe I'll buy one in the next year or so...
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmiV2PFluM


70mph into a brick wall and you can still open the passenger door.....seems pretty damn safe if you ask me.
Right, but that doesnt mean anything. Whiplash will break your neck in that situation, because once that crumple zone is used, the cell takes the impact and since the cell is ridgid, it transfers the impact energy to the driver, in regular passanger cars, the crumple zones supress that energy making the impact feel softer to the driver.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.