Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
DBain
CF Enthusiast

87 chevy update. PLEASE HELP

OK the basics 87 scotsdale 350TBI 4spd auto.
Originally i thought it was a wetness issue but i've now discovered it's from cold to hot. Went out around 3am last night started my truck. It ran for about 2 min but as soon as the motor got hot the dash just faded out.
I checked the battery cables to the starter, to the alternator, all fusible links i could find, the fuses under the dash are all good. I checked the red wire at the ignition(book says hot at all times) and got power only with the key in lock position. The pink wire (power going out) and nothing any of the time.
Now if i run my test light from a good hot lead(ECMB fuse) all the other fuses act as a ground (ECMI or IGN or any other).
So, somewhere i've got a pos feed grounding out my whole system, I just don't know where. Could it be the ignition switch itself? maybe the neutral safety? Fuse panel itself? I'm totally lost at this point. I hate electrical to begin with and i've already spent a few hrs trying to figure this one out. I've asked every mechanic or mechanical person i know and they've all told me the same which is what i already know. Anybody out there have any ideas where i'm losing power???
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

get your trouble codes and lets see whats going on.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
DBain
CF Enthusiast

I wish i could man, but all I've got is a scanner for OBDII. I don't know if it would help anyway, there's no check engine light when it's running and no power at all when it's not.
I bought an HEI module, tomorrow i'll put it in and see if that helps. If not next I'll try the ignition switch itself. If neither of them work I'm really out of ideas.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

http://autorepair.about.com/library/...htm?once=true&

The first link is a definition of full size Chevy pick-up trouble codes for a 350 V-8

The second link tells how to retrieve them. Connect terminal a and b together with a bent paper clip or other similar device - the code number will flash on your check engine light

This will help us figure out where you need to start looking - not which sensor to replace,
Old 04-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
DBain
CF Enthusiast

So I had already replaced the Ignition module by the time I checked the codes using the links from your response. When I checked them all I got was code 12 repeated several times. I'm not sure if I need to wait until it dies again before it'll help me, but as for now it seems to be code free. I'll go out tonight when it's real cold and start it to see if the problem is still there, but it's possible the module was the issue judging from the crap around the contacts on it.
Thank you for your help I'll repost if I do have the problem again.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #6
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

ignition modules are a common problem with GM

let us know if you have other issues or just come back and hang out.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Yeah that's what I've heard. I've also heard bad things about the switches themselves. The truck has 42,000mi on it so technically that's 2k per year. Which means it's done some sitting. Well maintained tho, I have the original title, the guy who bought it new was born in 1911, sold it in 2001 with 38k on it, and since then has only seen another 4k. With the new fuel tank, lines and many other parts, if I can get this taken care of it'll be an awesome truck. Anyway thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Well I went out there today, started her up and within ten minutes it happened again. There's no power going to the ECMI so I can't get any codes out of it. I guess next I'll try the switch itself, but like I said after that I'm clueless.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Well the new switch is in. I numbed it and forgot to disconnect the shifter linkage before dropping the column and now it shifts into gears a little funny but still works along with everything else. Can I bend the linkage to put it back to where it was or am I better off buying a new one? And how much do they cost new?
It seems to have a delay to start now, I turn the key all the way and it takes a second for the starter to kick on. Does this mean I need to readjust the switch and bring it furthur up towards to wheel?
Also when taking the wheel off the torques bit screws tore up this little plastic ring. What do you call this piece?
I've only started it in the afternoon so it hasn't been cold weather tested yet but I'm optimistic about it. This was the first time i've had to drop a column and damn is it a lot of work to replace a small 11dollar switch. Anyway thanks for your help, I'll post again when I cold weather test it.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Well the switch seems to have done it. I've gone out and started the truck 6-7 times since I put the switch in, from early in the morning to 230am, which my neighbors must hate me now for. Aside from needing to readjust the switch, sometimes it takes a few tries turning the key to get the starter to engage, the truck seems to be in perfect running order. Thank you for all your help.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed