Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
invain
CF Newbie

Quick, cheap, compact, Nissan Sentra se-r? or..

I'm on a budget of about $8 grand and I'm probably going to go with a smaller 4 door. However, I want something semi-decent looking and it needs to be decently fast. I'm really liking the 03' Nissan Sentra Se-R Spec V as it seems to have gotten pretty good reviews and looks to be about the fastest I can afford. I know there's plenty of faster cars to be had for 8 grand, but keep in mind I want a 4 door, something not horrible to insure, and something decent on gas.

There's a couple other cars on my list however, and I wondered how you guys think they'd compare to the Sentra Se-R.

Mitsu Lancer Ralliart
Mazdaspeed Protege

I don't know a ton about the Ralliart, except that it's in pretty much the same class as the sentra and mazda. I love how the Mazdaspeed Protege looks and I know it's no slouch in speed either, however I somewhat doubt I can find a decent one for under 8 grand. Everywhere I look they seem to be going for closer to 9 or 10, which I just can't do right now being in college.

I'd also love to have a Neon SRT-4, but even the 03's seem to be selling for $11k and over, and I know the SRT-4's are expensive as hell to insure. Same goes for the Subaru Impreza WRX, a little too expensive.

What do you guys think? Are there any other cars you'd recommend that I'm missing?
invain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Mazdaspeed protege will run you more than 8k, at least without sky high miles, and the se-r is not known for its reliability. I think its a nice lookin car but the interior is on the cheap side.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
invain
CF Newbie

Interesting, I hadn't heard too many problems with the Sentra. And yeah, I figured I wouldn't be able to find a mazdaspeed protege in my budget.
invain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
JPolito830
CF Newbie

I havent heard many problem with the Sentra either, I actually recommend this car to anyone in your position.