Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
generay
CF Newbie

1990 Nissan Sentra Stalls While Driving

Hello,
How is everyone? I have a 1990 Nissan Sentra.

It's been stalls when I come up to a stop sign
or stop like..looses power and shuts down.
fortunate for me, the car starts right up again,
but the aggravation of going though that is a pain.

I discovered that, while idling down to stop, I put
my foot on the breaks, and lightly step on the gas
to keep it running..90 percent of the time it helps
but, when I accerate some times, it chokes up
and cuts off. Again it starts right up. When I
get up to about 40-45mph it starts to stall so
coming to a stop the car shuts down again.

The mechanic thinks its the timing because of
the drop in rpm, yet he's the one that changed the oil
a few weeks ago and he put in 2qts of heavy weight
and 2 qts of lighter oil, when I requested 2050,
so the car made a rattling noise, until I asked him
to fix it.. Then he added oil aditive and the sound
went away but the car still shuts down even when
running in park.

what do you think is causing the stalling.

Thanks a heap

Gene
generay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Well first I would try a basic tune-up. Plugs wires cap rotor air and fuel filter. Is there any diagnostic codes? maybe a misfire? Wish I could help you more but without more info I really can't.
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
generay
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBain
Well first I would try a basic tune-up. Plugs wires cap rotor air and fuel filter. Is there any diagnostic codes? maybe a misfire? Wish I could help you more but without more info I really can't.

Hey DBain,

Thanks for helping. I had a tune up a couple of months ago and watched the guy change the plugs.. 2 of the wires had loose conections that came off when he pulled out the spark plug. He reconnected the metal pieces to the wires and finished the job. Could it be those spark plug wires need changing?

Thanks a heap.

Gene
Old 04-14-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

My 2 cents worth - find another mechanic

A couple of comments

Your mechanic was halfway correct in doing a basic maintenance tune up - keep in mind this is something which should happen every 30K miles. The plug wires should be replaced if damaged or replaced if you don't remember the last time this was done - normally 60K miles is as long as wires last reliably under the hood of a modern auto. I used to replace dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc every 30K miles on a 1999 Altima I used to own. Setting the static/base ignition timing with a timing light should be part of a standard tune-up for this car.

retrieving trouble codes is one of the first steps in addressing a drivability problem on any modern car. here are so many reasons a car stalls, it would be nice to see some codes to know where to start, otherwise, there is always the old fashioned way to trouble shoot.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
generay
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
My 2 cents worth - find another mechanic

A couple of comments

Your mechanic was halfway correct in doing a basic maintenance tune up - keep in mind this is something which should happen every 30K miles. The plug wires should be replaced if damaged or replaced if you don't remember the last time this was done - normally 60K miles is as long as wires last reliably under the hood of a modern auto. I used to replace dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc every 30K miles on a 1999 Altima I used to own. Setting the static/base ignition timing with a timing light should be part of a standard tune-up for this car.

retrieving trouble codes is one of the first steps in addressing a drivability problem on any modern car. here are so many reasons a car stalls, it would be nice to see some codes to know where to start, otherwise, there is always the old fashioned way to trouble shoot.

Hey tbaxleyjr,

thanks for the advice - worth way more than 2cents- I will get those codes to see what is going on there - from another mechanic. Believe it or not , its such a challenge finding a reputable mechanic in Los Angeles. Ive been asking around for the pass few weeks and no one has turned up yet.

I have to agree with you. My gut feeling was telling be about the sparkplug wires. As for the timing, the mechanic may have had it 10 percent correct..he wanted to switch the timing chain - thats a $300.00 or more job. Its the lst thing this mechanic yaps about..You need a new timing chain at the same time he's giving me cheap oil service that makes the thing rattle like rocks in the engine.

I will take your advice.

Thanks a heap.

Gene
Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
hera87
CF Newbie

maybe is your fuel pump, my brother has an xterra and he had the same problem...
hera87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by generay
Hey tbaxleyjr,

thanks for the advice - worth way more than 2cents- I will get those codes to see what is going on there - from another mechanic. Believe it or not , its such a challenge finding a reputable mechanic in Los Angeles. Ive been asking around for the pass few weeks and no one has turned up yet.

I have to agree with you. My gut feeling was telling be about the sparkplug wires. As for the timing, the mechanic may have had it 10 percent correct..he wanted to switch the timing chain - thats a $300.00 or more job. Its the lst thing this mechanic yaps about..You need a new timing chain at the same time he's giving me cheap oil service that makes the thing rattle like rocks in the engine.

I will take your advice.

Thanks a heap.

Gene

The timing chain guides do go Kaput in many Nissans and this will cause the car to rattle.

Once you verify if your issue is ignition related, fuel pump related (this will cause one to stall (a pressure test, volume test and fuel pressure regulatior test will flush this out in a hurry) or what ever, then a good tune up will help.

This engine probably has solid lifters thus once you get it running, a good mechanic will need to adjust the valve clearance or valve lash.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
DBain
CF Enthusiast

I had a similar problem with my spark plug wires. I assumed I could recrimp them and call it good, which did work for a few months. Long story short, I wont buy the cheapest wires VIP has anymore.
Anyway, if you plan on fixing this yourself, which I imagine you do otherwise you wouldn't be here, like someone already said, get your codes, figure out which of the three things an engine needs you're missing (Air, fuel, spark) and start with the simplest solution and go from there. ie air=filter fuel=filter/pump/injector spark=plugs+wires/cap+rotor+coil(coilpack?).
Wish I could help more, but I've found usually the most irritating problems have very simple solutions.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
generay
CF Newbie

adventures of nissan sentra 1990

Hey DBain and Everyone,

I surely appreciate the help and advice. All I wanna do is get in it and drive. lol. Would you believe, since posting and getting all of your suggestions..I have not been able to get not one mechanic, or autozone to help me with the codes??

Friday I was coming from an appointment and pulled into a sears auto mechanic shop downtown. The fellow, seem to have code checker in his hand but didnt know how to help me. No code check, but he asked one of the other mechanics to comment on my problem. He seem to think the problem was a timing issue. It may be the timing and directed me to a mini mechanic shop accross the steet. because he didnt think I should get a tune up and that not be the problem .I drove over there, finally talked someone that can do a timing check - $25.00. Again he was too busy..Comeback monday and I will only charge you 20.00. Leaveing the place, the car shuts down as soon as I leave the lot.

The autozone here in LA down on western and washington, where I go to alot, said they had no working instrument to do a code check. I was told to go find a mechanic to do it.. I drove down the street looking. I pulled into one place and the man said he wont do a check unless I got a tune up first - he just walked off. I pulled into a Mobil gas station mechanic up the street from there . He did say that there maybe a fuel injection problem, thats typical with the car- its too expensive to fix..he walked off.

I drove the car to my class this past Sat, and made it, yet so happy to get out of it, its so annoying to drive it like that. Leaving Class, I drove it around the corner, pulled into that mechanics yard - greeted with NO NO NO NO WER'RE CLOSING COME BACK MONDAY.. I just rolled out of the yard . I passed a mechnic while going to class, and said I stop in there for help. They dont do diagnostics, but same answer..come back on monday. Again I ended up driving it back home again.

I talked to my brother. He said to start with the wires -- purchased the wires from Autozone..I changed the wires yesterday- It was was easier than I thought. But I still have the same problem. This time I allowed the car to run idle in park. In under a minute it idled down and cut off.

This morning I called The nissan dealership downtown and they want $98.00.

sooooo... This is the price some of us pay for car service in LA, in addtion to paying cash too...lol

Today I am going to try and change the sparkplugs- to see if that helps. Or try the place across from sears, that offered the the timing check for $20.00. I may have an appointment in that direction and could stop in there..hopefully my car makes it .the problem seems to be increasing.

Any more suggestions?? Maybe someone can make heads or tails of this stalling shutdown issue and come up with something from my adverntures.

I wish i had some codes for this as you can see I tried really hard to get them

Thanks a heap

Gene

Last edited by generay : 04-21-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
99_clipped_gsx
CF Newbie

Sounds like you have a good start with checking the pugs and wires. My plug wires were 1/8" off the top of the plugs and it caused my engine to stall when i let off the gas. Are you running OE wires? Have you tried checking the IAC for proper tolerance? The IAC(Idle Air Controller) controls the amount of air going into the intake manifold. If the continuity is not within the car specs, this needs to be replaced. Look at the Hanes repair manual for the tolerance levels and test it with a volt meter. Also check out the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor). This doesnt sound like a timing issue to me.
99_clipped_gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
generay
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_clipped_gsx
Sounds like you have a good start with checking the pugs and wires. My plug wires were 1/8" off the top of the plugs and it caused my engine to stall when i let off the gas. Are you running OE wires? Have you tried checking the IAC for proper tolerance? The IAC(Idle Air Controller) controls the amount of air going into the intake manifold. If the continuity is not within the car specs, this needs to be replaced. Look at the Hanes repair manual for the tolerance levels and test it with a volt meter. Also check out the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor). This doesnt sound like a timing issue to me.

mmm....dont know much about iac and tps..I just changed the wires for the lst time on my own ... went borrowing tools from my apt manager this morning, and he thinks its a clogged fuel filter. when I find a reputable mechanic that has time to help out ,thats going to be a big plus.

thanks a heap
Old 04-24-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
generay
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_clipped_gsx

WOOOOHOO..I FIXED MY OWN CAR.

Sunday I changed the spark plug wires. When I started the car to check, then it idled down and cut off. I was too annoy and worried that something costly was afoot.
I just left it alone. Just today I needed to make a short run, and decided to limp to the grocers, so I took back streets. That car ran soooo good ...NO STALLING NO JERKING AND NO SHUT DOWN WHILE WAITING FOR THE LIGHT OR STEPPING ON THE BRAKE.

Man and I am releaved and grateful for the help from all of you.

It was the spark plug wires. It was so easy to replace them.. I looked at mechanic pull of the wires off the plugs during my last tune up, and 2 of the wires came out of the rubber hose and he pushed them back in to fixed them--with plyers..I didnt know any better then, but I do now.

CAR FORUM ROCKS.

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

Last edited by generay : 04-24-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 AM   #13
generay
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBain
I had a similar problem with my spark plug wires. I assumed I could recrimp them and call it good, which did work for a few months. Long story short, I wont buy the cheapest wires VIP has anymore.
Anyway, if you plan on fixing this yourself, which I imagine you do otherwise you wouldn't be here, like someone already said, get your codes, figure out which of the three things an engine needs you're missing (Air, fuel, spark) and start with the simplest solution and go from there. ie air=filter fuel=filter/pump/injector spark=plugs+wires/cap+rotor+coil(coilpack?).
Wish I could help more, but I've found usually the most irritating problems have very simple solutions.

Hey DBain,

As opposed to my last post. I didnt fix it after all. The very next day after changing the wires, the same problem erupted. It stutters, looses power and shuts down.

I like your chain of focus.

I have:

1. Changed the wires - (one by one to keep the order.)
2. Today 4/27/08 - I changed the spark plugs. (they all snapped in place)
3. I purchased the engine cleaner from autozone - (Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant).
I havent put it in yet. I spent quite a bit of time changing the plugs..The mechanic really had them in very tight. The spark plug wrench by itself wasnt enough, so I decided to improvised using the end of my "club" for torche(spelling). It was so hot here in cali, I was dripping in sweat so test drove it to a differnet parking space and it shut off once and stuttered some more. I took a break from the car-will get back at it tomorrow.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks for the help

Gene

Last edited by generay : 04-28-2008 at 02:07 AM.