Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
sasarts
CF Newbie

'91 Ford Tempo window off track?

I bought this car in Michigan in '98 and it was cherry but as soon as I brought it to Oklahoma it rusted (humidity) quickly. The problem I have is the 2 front windows are off track. Motors still good (they hum and click) but the windows won't move unles I pull them up and down manually.
I believe they are off the track. How to fix? Never tried to put a power window on track before! Anyone out there have advice?
I'd really appreciate it .
SASarts
sasarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

You need to start at the beginning, is it really off the track? The only way to know for sure is to open the door panel and look. If it is off the track, how did it happen, is something bent/worn out that needs to be replaced? If so, that needs to be fixed. If it somehow just came off the track without any mechanical defect, the probability is that once you have the door panel off, you will be able to figure out how to get it back on. Window tracks are not the most complicated pieces of technology. Just be careful when taking the panel off, some times they hide clips in the most miserable places, and it will rattle if you break too many clips off.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
sasarts
CF Newbie

DvdRose18

Once I get the panel off, forget about everythinge else except how do you put a window on track?
I'd like to know before I just jump in. It may be simple to some but I've never done it and I'd like to know what I'm getting into first
Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 AM   #4
sasarts
CF Newbie

[quote=sasarts]Eveyone can string a guitar but some can actually play while others strum! QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
sasarts
CF Newbie

Wasn't trying to P you of DVD, Iwas trying to put a quote at the bottom of my remarks like you have. Newbie here to this site.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #6
sasarts
CF Newbie

I know about the clips. I used to make them in Michigan. Fragile suckers, only meant to go in once but if your carefull you can re-use them.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
sasarts
CF Newbie

OK, DVD. I'll investigate it by removing the panel. I know it is prabably a simple fix but I wanted to know what it involved before I took the clips out because some of them don't always come out right and break and I was not wanting to have to replace by taking them off and then putting them back on if something else came up and then having to take them off again to fix it then having to have to replace the ones that got broken the second time around. You know what I mean? I wanted a plan of attack on a stupid window. Help me out with some wisdom that you have.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
sasarts
CF Newbie

Not trying to ask too much, I just need a reply.
Like Pink Floyd said,' Is there anybody out there?'.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

My point is that you (and I) don't really know what the problem is until you have the panel off. I am not an expert, but if your car is anything like the few vehicles that I have seen, the windows are pretty straight forward. If you wait a while (24+ hours) some of the more knowledgeable people here might be able to help you out. Most people hare have day jobs or are students and don't spend their life on here so it might take a while to get a response, patience is your friend. Also, once you get the panel off, you can leave it off if you need to run for parts or anything, it is not like it is an important part of the car, other than cosmetics. (You might want to start on the passenger side, in case you have to take off switches or anything)

There is nothing wrong with being a newbie, as long as you are willing to take advice and don't act like you know everything. I am sure if you looked at the member list the average number of posts is probably about 3 posts per user.

To edit your signature (the thingy at the bottom of every post) go to "User CP" at the top left of the page. then click "signature" on the left hand menu.

Good luck, and let us know what happens
Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasarts
Not trying to ask too much, I just need a reply.
Like Pink Floyd said,' Is there anybody out there?'.
Patience man, patience. This is a forum, not a chat room. Some of us like to think before we respond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diageo (I asked Wikipedia)
Good things come to those who wait