Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
FredMento
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Oil at 95mph on highway

This is what happened to a friend when there's oil on the highway ,doing 95 mph
A video to remember,may happen to any of us...

Here you can see the video with details

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/125313...directors_cut/

View original media here:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/125079...way_at_95_mph/


He is a good Driver,but he was lucky...

Last edited by FredMento : 04-18-2008 at 05:57 AM.
FredMento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
hes not a very smart driver doing 95, besides which it doesnt take a driving genius to full lock your steering this and that way, its actually the best way to lose control of your car because you are upsetting the balance of it so much.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
hes not a very smart driver doing 95, besides which it doesnt take a driving genius to full lock your steering this and that way, its actually the best way to lose control of your car because you are upsetting the balance of it so much.
When you're sitting here you might say that, but when you're in his place, you'd probably do the same thing. The guy doesn't look too smart for driving like that though.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
When you're sitting here you might say that, but when you're in his place, you'd probably do the same thing. The guy doesn't look too smart for driving like that though.


Looks like he's in Europe, and quite possibly on a road that has a much higher speedlimit. Hell, even with speedlimits being 110 km/h around here, there's at least two stretches of highway (between Regina/Saskatoon and between Calgary/Edmonton) that if you're doing anything less then 130, you're going too damn slow.


And FYI to newyorker. Lock to lock has nothing to do with upsetting the precious balance of his vehicle. Lock to lock is controlling his skidding. It might make a bigger difference in your Civic, looks like he's driving an Audi, and I would expect that to have a quite bit better handling ability.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Looks like he's in Europe, and quite possibly on a road that has a much higher speedlimit. Hell, even with speedlimits being 110 km/h around here, there's at least two stretches of highway (between Regina/Saskatoon and between Calgary/Edmonton) that if you're doing anything less then 130, you're going too damn slow.


And FYI to newyorker. Lock to lock has nothing to do with upsetting the precious balance of his vehicle. Lock to lock is controlling his skidding. It might make a bigger difference in your Civic, looks like he's driving an Audi, and I would expect that to have a quite bit better handling ability.
if anythibg saved him it wasn't his driving but most likely the fact that the car has quattro.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
if anythibg saved him it wasn't his driving but most likely the fact that the car has quattro.


Quattro ain't gonna save your ass when you skid out at 150. Driving ability does.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Down here on I-75 we average from 65-80 with the traffic of northern birds trying to flock to find their way. Anyway he could have corrected quicker if he hadn't flicked it so much the second time he turned the wheel but thats just my .
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Quattro ain't gonna save your ass when you skid out at 150. Driving ability does.
but he was doing 95..it really doesnt take a man of genius to full lock your car a few times he was just stupid and got lucky
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
but he was doing 95..it really doesnt take a man of genius to full lock your car a few times he was just stupid and got lucky


Are you mentally challenged? 150 KILOMETRES AN HOUR = 95 MILES PER HOUR. If you had noticed, it specifically mentions that in the video!


Christ, do us all a favour and shut the hell up. You spew nothing but NONSENSICAL BULLSHIT.

Have you ever taken any higher level driving courses, more specifically winter driving courses? Probably not.

Lock to lock is wholly acceptable to maintain control a vehicle, especially when the skid is that extreme, and is a rear-wheel lockup. I've hit skidpans of ice at 50mph with re-treaded capped tires, meaning NO tread pattern, just slicks, and been through front-wheel, rear-wheel, and all-wheel lockups. When your rear end wants to come around like that, and in that quick of a hurry, you have to make EXTREME movements to bring it back. He's lucky it wasn't an all-wheel lockup, he would have been SOL.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.