Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
DustyBub
CF Newbie

2001 Jeep Cherokee EVAP Leak

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, with the inline 6.

A couple weeks ago I posted a thread 2001 Jeep Cherokee Timing. Per cmesadoin's response, he was absolutely correct by saying that there could be many things associated with my loss of fuel mileage. As I am now finding out, because I think I was way off by labeling my thread timing.

Anyways, to get to the point. My check engine light finaly went off again. And this time two error codes were triggered. P0442 and P0455. Small EVAP leak and Large EVAP leak respectively. I also began to notice the smell of gas fumes. Typically only in the morning when I first start the vehicle and begin my drive(I live in south texas).

Courtesy of ALLDATA, I have the Diagnostic Test Procedures to narrow down the root cause of my problem. I've checked the simpler causes, but at the moment, I am unsure wether I can get a hold of a Evaporative Emission Leak Detector (EELD). I was wondering if there was a simpler method? Or if this problem is typically caused by one component over another?

Thank you.
DustyBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Is EVAP the same as emissions? I know I should be helping but I'm just curious if it's an emissions leak or maybe a vacuum sensor or something. I'm very mechanical, but by no means a certified mechanic, which is why I hang out here to see how much I can learn from all those who know more than I do.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
DustyBub
CF Newbie

Same reason I'm hear for.

All I can tell you is that in my case the problem I'm having is with the evaporative emmission system.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyBub
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, with the inline 6.

A couple weeks ago I posted a thread 2001 Jeep Cherokee Timing. Per cmesadoin's response, he was absolutely correct by saying that there could be many things associated with my loss of fuel mileage. As I am now finding out, because I think I was way off by labeling my thread timing.

Anyways, to get to the point. My check engine light finaly went off again. And this time two error codes were triggered. P0442 and P0455. Small EVAP leak and Large EVAP leak respectively. I also began to notice the smell of gas fumes. Typically only in the morning when I first start the vehicle and begin my drive(I live in south texas).

Courtesy of ALLDATA, I have the Diagnostic Test Procedures to narrow down the root cause of my problem. I've checked the simpler causes, but at the moment, I am unsure wether I can get a hold of a Evaporative Emission Leak Detector (EELD). I was wondering if there was a simpler method? Or if this problem is typically caused by one component over another?

Thank you.
Are your vent valves and purge valves working, LDP test OK and have you checked the hoses?
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
DustyBub
CF Newbie

How do I check for the suggestions you mentioned? I've been unable to get my hands on an EELD.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyBub
How do I check for the suggestions you mentioned? I've been unable to get my hands on an EELD.

Basically a smoke test - best done by a service dept or a qualified shop.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote