Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
narcisis
CF Newbie

Question Need a new computer?

Hi guys!

95 Buick LeSabre

My car was gradually becoming worse and worse but I didn't have the money to fix it, now in it's current state I can't even drive it (it wont even turn over). Its the same deal I had a few months back (blew out my injectors and went away though), hesitation, but also this time I have power loss. As in when I step down on the pedal my car almost goes nowhere and I have to back off and step down a few times for it to "catch" and go anywhere. Also if I'm at idle for extended periods of time, say in the line for fast food my car would begin to idle very hard and the whole car would shake. When it first started to happen I thought the guy behind me in line had hit me with his car, that's how much the car started to move. A friend of mine came over and looked at it and he said I need a new computer, he deduced this by removing a cap from a plug and looking for a spark as I cranked it, and it produced none (as I said it doesn't even turn over now). What do you guys think?

-Idles very hard when stopped, the car actually moves quite a bit as if I was stomping the gas for a second then backing off while holding the brake.

-Cant start at all now, there is no visible spark from the plug when engine is cranked

-Power loss when pressing down on gas (only happens after being stopped at a light or something of the sort)

Any help appreciated as always!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

I seriously doubt he could tell it was the computer just by removing a cap ( I am assuming you are referring to a boot on a plug wire). If there realy is no spark, there could be many reasons, and you need to trace it back. From the symptoms it sounds like either the spark was getting progressivly weaker, or the fuel/air ratio was getting progressivly worse. Either way, there can be many sources of the problem.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
I seriously doubt he could tell it was the computer just by removing a cap ( I am assuming you are referring to a boot on a plug wire). If there realy is no spark, there could be many reasons, and you need to trace it back. From the symptoms it sounds like either the spark was getting progressivly weaker, or the fuel/air ratio was getting progressivly worse. Either way, there can be many sources of the problem.

hm.. thanks for your input.

Damn this is starting to sound expensive.