Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Hes full of turd, why do you even pay attention?

On a serious note, did you find anything that caught your eye?

Ive got lots of cars at work that you might like, but after import taxes and such, it might not be worth it, and i dont know if you could drive it back and save some shipping fees (not that you cant, just dont know if you would be willing to)
I haven't really been looking, I've been busy (expect a thread on it soon), but I'll try this weekend.

600 miles is a bit far to travel but if you have reasonable prices, it might work out. Can you just give me a ballpark of what they sell for?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:37 AM   #17
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I haven't really been looking, I've been busy (expect a thread on it soon), but I'll try this weekend.

600 miles is a bit far to travel but if you have reasonable prices, it might work out. Can you just give me a ballpark of what they sell for?
PMing you now
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
thomasz
CF Newbie

I prefer Nissan. If i enough money i will buy it.
thomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #19
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Question: Is Celica pronounced Sell-ick-a or Sell-eek-a?

Sell-ick-a.

Any news on the future purchase? 'Busa? Yeah?!

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #20
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Question: Is Celica pronounced Sell-ick-a or Sell-eek-a?

Sell-ick-a.

Any news on the future purchase? 'Busa? Yeah?!
Thanks.

I want a motorcycle, but I checked insurance, if I was the primary driver for a $4,000 bike, insurance would set me back like $9-10 grand a year. I've set my schedule back a bit, since my parents are going away for a month in the summer (par-tay) so I'm set until then, but August I gotta get a car for college.

If I'm getting a bike, it's probably gonna be next April, because I still need to get a motorcycle license and everything. Question though, do I only pay insurance for the months that I drive the bike? Like say I only drive it for 6 months, and the rest of the year it's in my garage. Do I pay 6 months of insurance?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #21
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Thanks.

I want a motorcycle, but I checked insurance, if I was the primary driver for a $4,000 bike, insurance would set me back like $9-10 grand a year. I've set my schedule back a bit, since my parents are going away for a month in the summer (par-tay) so I'm set until then, but August I gotta get a car for college.

If I'm getting a bike, it's probably gonna be next April, because I still need to get a motorcycle license and everything. Question though, do I only pay insurance for the months that I drive the bike? Like say I only drive it for 6 months, and the rest of the year it's in my garage. Do I pay 6 months of insurance?
Depends on the carrier and their rules. For example, if I were to get a miata right now and drive it for 6 months (example) as my 2nd car (weekend toy) id be paying 40 dollars a month. I could call them and say that i wont be driving it for 6 months (example) and they will take 40% off of that price. However thats considering that I keep the car outside on the street. If I keep it completely tucked away in my garage, I wouldnt pay for it at all. Then again, consider it this way.

Insurance companies from what i have seen do their policies in 6 month intervals so you could start your 6 month when you ride the bike and when its over tuck it away for the 6 months and then when time comes to ride again just create a new policy.

This could be completely different becasue I never looked into bikes, you live in canada and you guys have insurance through the govt.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #22
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Depends on the carrier and their rules. For example, if I were to get a miata right now and drive it for 6 months (example) as my 2nd car (weekend toy) id be paying 40 dollars a month. I could call them and say that i wont be driving it for 6 months (example) and they will take 40% off of that price. However thats considering that I keep the car outside on the street. If I keep it completely tucked away in my garage, I wouldnt pay for it at all. Then again, consider it this way.

Insurance companies from what i have seen do their policies in 6 month intervals so you could start your 6 month when you ride the bike and when its over tuck it away for the 6 months and then when time comes to ride again just create a new policy.

This could be completely different becasue I never looked into bikes, you live in canada and you guys have insurance through the govt.
No, Ontario has private automobile insurance. Only our health-insurance is socialized.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #23
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
No, Ontario has private automobile insurance. Only our health-insurance is socialized.
Well there you go then
Old 05-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #24
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:
Some members make these threads pretty often, but let's say this is the only one I'm making.

I'm looking for a (first) car to buy, which I'm gonna need for university. Basically, here's my criteria:

-I'm gonna drive at least 30 mins in each direction, so fuel economy should be decent--but quality/reliability is more important
-Comfort isn't too important, but it should still be ok for longer trips
-It has to seat 5 (maybe 4 if it's a good car), can be 2 or 4 door--also, I'm about 6 foot, so headroom is good
-I plan on keeping it for a while, so it shouldn't have too many miles (I'm thinking no more than 100,000 miles)
-Can't really decide between AWD/FWD/RWD--if anyone wants to help me out with that
-I can't spend more than $8,000--maybe $10,000 if it'll get me a lot of girls
-convertibles are nice, but only if it fits the other stuff

Some cars off the top of my head are:
2000-2002 Lincoln LS
Mid-late 90's Chevrolet Camaro (V6) (T-Tops anyone?)
Late 90's/Early 2000's Toyota Celica
2000's Acura Integra
Mid 90's Nissan 240SX/300ZX
Mid-late 90's Mitsubishi Eclipse
Earlier model Acura RSX

Something along those lines.

I own an RSX-s and i am 5'10. 2 inches shorter than you i suppose. and i have no problems with head room or leg room. actually it is very comfortable with the semi bucket seats.

its a 4 seater but when in need it can seat 5. the rear passenger side has a plastic/rubber divider. i have people sit on it anyways, i wouldnt recomend any1 sittin on it if you are planning to drive for more than 30 minutes.

the tank fits about 13 gallons, and since v-tec hits at 5.5rpms, i stay below that and get 320 miles a tank. and that is driving 20 city miles to the train station each weekday and driving about 150 miles on average on the highway each weekend.

theres people in clubrsx.com selling cars all the time.

another good choice that you didnt mention is a 02-06 civic si hatch back. my cousin has one and it actually has more leg room and head room for both driver and passenger. actually you would be pretty surprise how much room this little car has.
the only negative thing i can say about it is, it lacks cargo room.

my pick would be an RSX. and then an integra. although the integras are uncomfortable, its still nice lookin car that is fun & reliable.

Last edited by Ki2AY : 05-30-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #25
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Question though, do I only pay insurance for the months that I drive the bike? Like say I only drive it for 6 months, and the rest of the year it's in my garage. Do I pay 6 months of insurance?
There might be an easier way since nobody rides bikes through snow, but it's not hard to sign up for insurance every spring and cancel it every fall.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #26
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
There might be an easier way since nobody rides bikes through snow, but it's not hard to sign up for insurance every spring and cancel it every fall.
So you just repeated what I just said.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 AM   #27
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
So you just repeated what I just said.
Do you even read what you write?

Nowhere in your post did you say anything about canceling the policy every year. Futher, somehow under your plan you pay 60% when you're only on the road 50% of the time. And last, if I could say what you said in one simple sentence...why didn't you?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:03 AM   #28
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Guys let's stop arguing and go back to talking about me lol.

Thanks for all the help, though.

Car shopping has been put off for a little while, though. I was in a....accident. Not my fault, but until insurance says that (who knows how long that's gonna take), my parents don't let me drive. Once that does happen though, I get a free rental lol.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #29
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Do you even read what you write?

Nowhere in your post did you say anything about canceling the policy every year. Futher, somehow under your plan you pay 60% when you're only on the road 50% of the time. And last, if I could say what you said in one simple sentence...why didn't you?
Why would I say to cancel it? I said to create a new one when time comes to ride again 6 months from cancelling the old (i.e. cancel the policy after 6 months of riding). I dont have to break it down for chris like that, you on the other hand need to be spoonfed. Shut up
Old 05-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Why would I say to cancel it?
Hmm...so I didn't say what you said.