Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
albertou812
CF Newbie

installing gauges on ford 390

Hi, I have a 1965 ford galaxie will the origional 390, I want to install gauges as I dont trust the lights since getting the motor rebuilt. Could anyone help me out with how to install the oil,temp and volts where hook in to get oil pressure and where to get coolent temp hooked in , they are equus gauges..txs Albert
albertou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
fireExotic
CF Newbie

better go to boyd coddington ... he'll fix ur problems in no time.....
fireExotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireExotic
better go to boyd coddington ... he'll fix ur problems in no time.....
What a bad answer for so many reasons.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
corbett_auto
CF Addict

It will be a little hard to explain this here.... but, here is a general run down. Read this over and go through the steps and then ask a few follow up questions as needed.....

1st, buy the set of gauges you like. Typically most people get the set of three that are in a plate you mount under the dash.

2nd, read through the instructions. Sometimes they leave alot to the imagination, but at least it will familiarize you with the gauges.

Now, comes the hard part. Installing the sending units (they will come with the gauges) The easiest thing to do is simply replace the old ones. The water temp is most likely on top of the intake near the thermostat housing and the oil pressure may be near the oil filter.... The voltmeter is easy, just tie it into any 12V (when the key is on) wire.

I assume the gauges are mechanical metal tube for the temp and plastic tube for the pressure. Just follow the direstions to connect the plastic tubing. be carefull with the temp metal line if you bend it too sharply it will crimp and may break.

Hope this helps.... let us know if you need help locating the proper possision for the sending units. I may can take some pictures for you.