Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #1
stangs024
CF Newbie

Smile HELP - How to increase horsepower without replacing engine

Here's the thing: I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am w/ 3.4L auto 4-spd v6. I am looking to most importantly improve horsepower, as well as possibly improve fuel economy or even do both. I was looking at getting a Flowmaster exhaust system and talked to a guy that told me I needed a "Cat-back" exhaust system. But I don't think I should just take one guy's suggestion; I want to make sure that I do the best thing. I really don't know a WHOLE LOT about these kinds of things, so I need help. The thing is I am looking to spend no more than $800 total, whatever I end up doing. Any advice on what to do and how to get the most out of my $800? Any responses will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by stangs024 : 05-07-2008 at 03:15 AM.
stangs024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

There are a million threads already like this on the boards. Without us regurgitating it all, just do a quick search through the forums and you'll find many a thread on "adding cheap horsepower" etc etc...
Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
stangs024
CF Newbie

Okay thanks, and sorry about that I'm new to this.
stangs024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs024
Okay thanks, and sorry about that I'm new to this.
no worries... but most of the info is already there... a bit of effort saves you waiting... and saves us arguing all over again about who thinks CAI's and cat back exhausts are useless or otherwise.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Even as a car enthusiast I don't see it a great idea to spend $800 on your car. That'll get you an intake, catback, and a few other things...barely noticable over a stock car performance wise.

What probably isn't in the other threads on the site is a torque converter with a higher stall. I don't know a ton about this particular engine but most normal cars are set up to take you out of the powerband when the automatic shifts. A higher stall will keep you in the powerband. For whatever reason I don't see a lot of non-musclecars doing this mod, so I'd definitely talk to a mechanic. Plus it's going to hurt your MPG.

My other ? Take the money, buy GOOD summer tires and a helmet, and go to some SCCA autoXs. They're about $35 to enter, one car at a time races on an empty lot made into a track with cones, so it's completely safe. Believe me, there will be plenty of people out there with slower cars and probably 10 other first timers who don't know what they're doing. 5 race events and you'll be a much better driver, and your improved skill will make you a hell of a lot quicker than $800 in bolt-ons would have. Plus it's fun as hell.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote