Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #16
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Might as well update on this. Things are looking good from what I've heard on the news, though this is similar to where we were with the Toyota plant they thought we were going to get...so no getting our hopes up. VW reps from Germany visited during our "Riverbend" festival to get an idea of the "quality of life" and a few days later they also took a tour of the building where you get construction permits.

It is reported that VW is looking for a site that is completely clear of vegetation and has a clear line of sight so when you get to the property, you can see how the land lies. Chattanooga was just approved a $1.25 million dollar grant for improvements at the possible future site of VW, where they have already begun clearing the land and are currently working on diverting some streams that run through the area.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
bug 67
CF Newbie

Question volkswagon

am old vwbuff but i only play with 60s an 70s strander bug gota love them now am restoring a 67 baja could use some help thx bug67 :oop all good bugs were last built in ger
bug 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
need4speed
CF Newbie

Tough question, i guess if an American company is manufacturing the cars then it makes it American
need4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #19
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed
Tough question, i guess if an American company is manufacturing the cars then it makes it American
Is Chinese food that's made in America American food? Just my .

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #20
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Is Chinese food that's made in America American food? Just my .

Yes, because we use REAL meat.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 AM   #21
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Yes, because we use REAL meat.
Cats are meat too.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:55 AM   #22
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed
It would just make them American Built.

Same with some Hondas being assembled in Canada, BMW in Tennessee (sp), VW in Brazil and Mexico.

I think what it comes down to is the quality of the parts AND the quality of the assembly. You cant have just 1/2 good and expect to build a good car. VW is known for shoddy electrics, actually a lot of German companies are, and I think that unless they fix the PARTS, the assembly point will have little impact on quality, but I'm sure thats not their main intention with this move.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #23
fudge
let's fighting love

Oi wtf just happened?!!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #24
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Oi wtf just happened?!!
I have a feeling that Bav deleted the post above yours (which was spam) and accidentally clicked yours too.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #25
fudge
let's fighting love

It wasn't even spam and was somehow relevant to the topic.
Anyway there's alot of chinese food in America which come from animals apart from chicken, pig, beef, lamb or fish. Shark fin soup anyone??
Old 07-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #26
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
It would just make them American Built.

Same with some Hondas being assembled in Canada, BMW in Tennessee (sp), VW in Brazil and Mexico.

I think what it comes down to is the quality of the parts AND the quality of the assembly. You cant have just 1/2 good and expect to build a good car. VW is known for shoddy electrics, actually a lot of German companies are, and I think that unless they fix the PARTS, the assembly point will have little impact on quality, but I'm sure thats not their main intention with this move.

Very true - the main problem my parents had with their Mercedes C230 was electrical
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #27
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

I live across town from Talon..

A car plant would be nice for Chattanooga since our legacy industrial economic base dried up several years - tourism such as the aquarium down here and the other attractions does not provide the type jobs which pay enough to buy houses and cars and has kept salaries in other industries/sectors driven low. Tourism, on the other hand has been good since it got our downtown area which was full of drug dealers and other forms or urban rot in the late 1980's cleaned up and policed and is now reasonably safe to visit at night.

in this area, we really need both types of industries to create a diverse economic base.

I would be interested in knowing what tax breaks the State of Tennessee and Hamilton county are offering to try get VW in here.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #28
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
...since it got our downtown area which was full of drug dealers and other forms or urban rot in the late 1980's cleaned up and policed and is now reasonably safe to visit at night.

Apparently you have been to Coolidge park after dark, lol. Plus, yeah it's safer downtown because they knocked down the projects and most of those people moved into Hixson and Red Bank. You should see my old alma mater now.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #29
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Where did you go to school?

You do have a point about Cooledge park at night (especially within past yr or so)

I haven't seen too many issues in Hixson at least where I live but do heard of interesting stories about some parts of Red Bank

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 07-05-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #30
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Update! Board Made Decision!

VOLKSWAGEN NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY

A news conference is underway about the selection of Chattanooga for a new Volkswagen manufacturing plant. The news conference being held at the Hunter Museum with the Tennessee River as a backdrop.

Matt Kisber, the Tennessee Commissioner of Economic and Community Development opened the news conference. He said this is the most important event in his political tenure.

Kisber introduced Stefan Jacoby, the President and CEO of Volkswagen of America.

Applause broke out as Jacoby made the first public statement "Volkswagen of America is building it's next plant in Chattanooga."

Next he said, "Why?"

In answering his own question, he thanked the states of Michigan and Alabama for their interest.

"Something in our gut, or maybe in our heart... looking across the mountains and across the rivers, the intangible suddenly became very tangible. This is America at its best," said Jacoby.

He said with the new facility, they expect to triple their sales in the United States. He admitted that, like in a marriage, there will be good times and bad times in carrying out this aggressive plan.

Jacoby praised business and government leaders for "visionary leadership" that compliments that of Volkswagen. He specifically named Governer Bredesen, Senators Corker, Alexander, Congressman Wamp and Mayors Littlefield and Ramsey.

Jacoby ended by saying, "We are looking forward to a longterm partnership and marriage with Chattanooga and Tennessee."

Governer Bredesen then took the podium saying, "Danke schön" which mean "thank you" in German.

"They have their backs (to the audience) right now, but I wish you could see the smiles on Mayors Littlefield's and Ramsey's face right now," joked the Govorner as he praised their hard work.

The Governor said that the area "had a mission" and set about accomplishing that mission.

"I wish Washington would take note of what Chattanooga did," he added to another round of applause.

Hamilton County Mayor Ramsey took the podium saying, "They've given me two minutes tell you about 15 minutes of my life.... What a good day, what a good day," he said with emotion.

Mayor Ramsey's grandchildren were in the audience. He spoke of the drams he had for his grandchildren and thanked Jacoby "for making my dreams come true."

Mayor Littlefield said he told Jacoby that he had promised his wife a new Volkwagen if they decided to locate their plant here.

He said Mayor Ramsey suggested combining normally "highly-competitive" city and county workforces to prepare the Enterprise South site.

We're been through the rodeo before," said Senator Bob Corker. "I don't know of a greater event in this community in my lifetime."

"I'm happy for our citizens, our children and our grandchildren," said Sen. Corker. "But there is no one that I am happier for today than Claude Ramsey. I'm so glad this happened under his watch."

Senator Lamar Alexander said that with today's announcement, he expects Tennessee to become the number one state in the nation for automotive jobs.

Congressman Wamp joked how, among all the happy people, is Nelson Bowers, the owner of a local Volkswagen dealership.

Congressman Wamp said that for each of the 2,000 jobs created at the Volkswagen plant, we should expect an additional seven "support jobs."

"That's 14,000 jobs," he said. ""It was just a matter of time before a major auto manufacturer decided to locate at Enterprise South - and our time has arrived."