Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Getting A New Car

Hey guys the HONDA blew up. Well not really I just broke a timing belt, and I tell you what. Ive had chevys for like 5 years and never been left stranded or really had many problems with them. The first honda I buy has lft me stranded 4 times in 2 or 3 months. No more hondas for me, never again. I took exceptional care of the Accord to.

Right when I bought it I went though it and replaced ALL Fluids. Did flushes on everything but tranny since it was a manual and you cant I just drained it and put some redline fluid in it.
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and a WHOLE bunch of suspension stuff and new CV axles. BAM she still constantly broke down so more than likely im getting something different. Im not really sure what to get though, dont even have the vaguest of ideas.

Im thinkin LT1 Trans Am, maybe do mild bolt ons to it and a bunch of suspension work and make a nice driver.

96-99 Silverado. I had one of these and I loved it. I can pretty much do anything to it and it was the most reliable vehicle I ever had. Drove it until it had damn near 200K and she ran like a champ.
Also relatively easy to get into the 14s which would be a fun truck.

NA Miata- Had a bunch of fun with the old 92,

Also found a 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 or somethign like that, looks like it could be a fun car.

Criteria. Must be fun, relatively cheap, NO FWD.

Any Ideas? Maybe a subaru?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

I'd go with the truck. That way if you build up your Camaro (which I assume you still have since it's still your sig.) you can have a vehicle to tow it to the track. Plus if you live anywhere with snow, 4WD is helpful. Not much fun, but helpful. Not to mention mudding

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
I'd go with the truck. That way if you build up your Camaro (which I assume you still have since it's still your sig.) you can have a vehicle to tow it to the track. Plus if you live anywhere with snow, 4WD is helpful. Not much fun, but helpful. Not to mention mudding

Oh I aint too worried about towing the maro. If she cant make it to the track and back under her own power without breaking something, then she aint doin her job.

Doesnt snow too much here in texas and if it does, I dont drive in it. Plus Ive driven the camaro in a little snow and it isnt that bad.

Im not gonna let some snow dictate what I drive. Cars are for fun.

The mudding on the other hand was a blast in the old Z71.

Oh and yah I still have the maro, she just wont be seeing DD duty anymore. She has been retired to the garage for nice days or when I go racing. Shes currently in the midst of a cam swap which was slightly delayed due to the honda and girls. BUT the new GF likes to help me work on it so it shouldnt be too much longer, just need to check valvetrain geometry and get my new chromoly pushrods and shes done besides reassembly.
New cam, lifters, springs, studs, and guideplates are in. Plus I just got my powdercoated stuff back and I finished polishing up everything I planned on doin.

Last edited by Enthusiast : 05-22-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Oh I aint too worried about towing the maro. If she cant make it to the track and back under her own power without breaking something, then she aint doin her job.

Doesnt snow too much here in texas and if it does, I dont drive in it. Plus Ive driven the camaro in a little snow and it isnt that bad.

Im not gonna let some snow dictate what I drive. Cars are for fun.

The mudding on the other hand was a blast in the old Z71.

Oh and yah I still have the maro, she just wont be seeing DD duty anymore. She has been retired to the garage for nice days or when I go racing. Shes currently in the midst of a cam swap which was slightly delayed due to the honda and girls. BUT the new GF likes to help me work on it so it shouldnt be too much longer, just need to check valvetrain geometry and get my new chromoly pushrods and shes done besides reassembly.
New cam, lifters, springs, studs, and guideplates are in. Plus I just got my powdercoated stuff back and I finished polishing up everything I planned on doin.

Ah. I didn't know you lived in Texas. I feel like an idiot for bringing up the thought of snow now. Haha, well, then I'd either go with a Z71 (still) or a Subaru. Scoobs are just way too much fun. Maybe a Fiero with a Chevy 350 swap? What exactly is your price range you're looking at? That'd help a lot with my opinions.

My wife's cars:

Old 05-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Sorry to hear about the Honda. Are they generally reliable over there though? Over here you can't fault them!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Looks like you're mostly insterested in what you've already had. I say instad try restoring an old car, maybe making an all-out handling machine for AutoX.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Maybe a Fiero with a Chevy 350 swap?

Now were getting somewhere

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Sorry to hear about the Honda. Are they generally reliable over there though? Over here you can't fault them!
Generally, but with miles as any car there are things that need to be replaced, something that the previous owner probbably neglected to do and the problems all dumped on to Enthusiast
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Generally, but with miles as any car there are things that need to be replaced, something that the previous owner probbably neglected to do and the problems all dumped on to Enthusiast
How do you know it was the previous owner? It could have been the owner before that who said "oil not changed by previous owner" in his for sale ad. Always easier to blame the guy before you for not doing anything, right
Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #10
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy

To tell you the truth thats what Ive always heard But I had nothing but problems with them, wether my personal car or customers cars. My friends are the same way. A buddy of mine bought a brand new S2000 three dead motors later he sold it, and he took excellent care of that car.

My honda was exceptionally cared for. I have all the maintenace records and according to my records the timing belt was changes like 30K miles ago. Fortunately it was done at an affiliated shop so I looked up records and yep it sure was.

Price range really depends on the car. Nothing too expensive though. I probably woul;dnt go higher than 10K this is just a fun DD.

Ive tried the old cars and I wouldnt do one for a DD, they will just nickel and dime the shit outta you, plus im pretty picky about my cars and little things bother me so an old car would really get me.

Wont do a fiero cause I dont want another garage ornament haha.

PS. Newyorker I wont argue Honda with you. I think they suck, i sure you dont. But out of all the Chevys Ive owned not once has any of them EVER left me stranded and they are alot cheaper to maintain (atleast in my experiences, and dont forget I work in a shop). Different Strokes for different folks.

On a side note, the original non rebuilt motor and tranny in my old 69 firebird ran like a top after nothing more than a tuneup and fluid change after sitting for 17 years. I think thats a testament to GM longevity
Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #11
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Oh I drove a miata today and I think I fell back in love, the only thing holding me back is I love a good on ramp blast and the miata just doesnt have the grunt.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Oh I drove a miata today and I think I fell back in love, the only thing holding me back is I love a good on ramp blast and the miata just doesnt have the grunt.
Throw a mustang v8 in there...its a pretty expensive swap though. To your other post, of all 3 cars I owned, none left me stranded either, I just feel more at peace owning a Honda cause they tend to be more reliable, but like every manufacturer there is a lemon in every bunch. Every brand has its ups and downs really, but domestics are generally cheaper to repair.

Last edited by newyorker : 05-23-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #13
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Throw a mustang v8 in there...its a pretty expensive swap though. To your other post, of all 3 cars I owned, none left me stranded either, I just feel more at peace owning a Honda cause they tend to be more reliable, but like every manufacturer there is a lemon in every bunch. Every brand has its ups and downs really, but domestics are generally cheaper to repair.

Im sitting here complaining about unreliable cars why the hell would I tear out the miata motor and throw in a FORF MOTOR. I would be a huge hypocrit. HAHA
Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Im sitting here complaining about unreliable cars why the hell would I tear out the miata motor and throw in a FORF MOTOR. I would be a huge hypocrit. HAHA

I was thinking the same thing. hahaha. Chevy 327?

My wife's cars:

Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Sorry I dont know the domestic market...at all

Another popular swap is the 13b (i think) from the early model RX7, and of course you can boost it as well, they love that. If you boost, the models with the 1.8 are better because they have stronger internals..also try to find one with a torsen rear, so i heard