Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

'85 Corolla Stalling

Hey guys....very rarely do I post here because I work in a shop, so theres a few people I can ask advice from, but I'm in a bind.

My brother has an '85 Corolla Wagon, carburated, 1.6L SOHC, manual 5 speed. This car seems to have a lot of problems, it was in very good shape when he bought it, but he's the sort who drives it a bit too hard.

Last Wednesday it died abruptly while he was delivering pizza. He phoned me up and I went to see him after work. Checked for spark-good. Checked for fuel...well I had the air filter off and there was definitely fuel in the carb. Popped the oil cap off- Cam wasn't budging.

So we had it towed to my parents' place which was nearby. Today I replaced the timing belt which had shaved off about 10 teeth. Everything went fine, I was meticulous about getting the gears lined up properly (with my trusty Haynes manual of course). Started up nicely, revved up nicely. Test drove it, it was great, way smoother than before (implying I guess that the timing belt was dangling by a few teeth and not staying in the right spot)

Anyway so my brother went to work delivering pizza again, said it was driving so nice for about 2 hours.

Then it stalled. Now he can't get it to stay running without keeping the revs up. Whenever it idles, it stalls. He can't get going anywhere, so he's going to have it towed to my parents' place again. Unfortunately its not close by and I'm going to have to go look at it again tomorrow.

Can anyone give me any advice, especially pertaining to the work done, and how it would have caused this to happen? It seems like something separate, but who knows, I may have missed something when re-assembling. Though the fact that it drove like a dream for two hours seems to indicate otherwise. Obviously I'll be checking the usual things, but I don't have a whole lot of knowledge when it comes to stalling and idle problems and such, so anything may help, THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Assuming the #1 cylinder was @ TDC and timing marks lined up on both camshaft and crankshaft, there is a little more information we need.

Did the engine stall under load or @ idle?
Belt tensioner functioning properly when belt was replaced?
Any other information such as what was going on when the car died?

Most 85 Toyotas had a DOHC 1.6. I am surprised yours is the 2 bbl SOHC.

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 05-25-2008 at 02:33 PM.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Assuming the #1 cylinder was @ TDC and timing marks lined up on both camshaft and crankshaft, there is a little more information we need.

Did the engine stall under load or @ idle?
Belt tensioner functioning properly when belt was replaced?
Any other information such as what was going on when the car died?

Most 85 Toyotas had a DOHC 1.6. I am surprised yours is the 2 bbl SOHC.

1. Stalled @ idle
2. I replaced the spring and tensioner. They were not in great shape.
3. Thats what my brother gave me.

Thanks for the reply. BCAA arrived to pick up my brother last night. They usually take a quick look and see if they can figure out whats wrong before towing. So as my brother told me over the phone, the guy removed the air filter and gave the top butterfly valve on the carb a fiddle (excuse my carb-ignorance), and it started working again. Apparently the valve was stuck closed by some dirt or something. How flukish that this should happen nearly 2 driving hours after I replaced the timing belt. Such is life.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

the question of the day now becomes why did the butterfly close? TYhis one needs some investigation. Is it just dirt, a bent shaft on the throttle valves (there will be one valve per barrel sharing a common shaft), or other deformed part?

depending on your skill, it may be worth the money to buy a rebuilt carb for this car.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
1. Stalled @ idle
2. I replaced the spring and tensioner. They were not in great shape.
3. Thats what my brother gave me.

Thanks for the reply. BCAA arrived to pick up my brother last night. They usually take a quick look and see if they can figure out whats wrong before towing. So as my brother told me over the phone, the guy removed the air filter and gave the top butterfly valve on the carb a fiddle (excuse my carb-ignorance), and it started working again. Apparently the valve was stuck closed by some dirt or something. How flukish that this should happen nearly 2 driving hours after I replaced the timing belt. Such is life.
Did you touch the carby at all during your initial fiddlings? Could have been an unlucky result of a seemingly innocent bump/knock/piece of grit etc etc.