Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
reuler
CF Newbie

1978 T/a

Hi,
I am looking to add horsepower to my 1978 T/a. I know that stock it didnt have much. It has the 400 engine. I have put new spark plugs in and new wires. I dont have headers on there now, but i do have dual flowmaster exhaust. Any suggestions on how to make it have more power?????

Anyone can e-mail me at REULER@gmail.com
Thanks
reuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

There are lots of things you can do, but first things first... what kind of budget are you looking at. Just adding headers and exhaust will not do much for a stock engine...

take a good look at the money you plan to spend and if you spend it effeicently on the right combo of parts you can improve what you have. If you spend it on the worng parts, you could just end up making things worse.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
reuler
CF Newbie

Well, to be honest, it doesnt really matter the cost, but i would like to keep the same enigine in there if possible.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Depends on how much horsepower you want to make. I'm not to savvy on this particular engine (or most engines for that matter) but you may want to look into getting a cam with a larger lope and/or boring out the cylinders. These will net you some pretty big gains, so you'll have to at least do some research to figure out if the other stock parts in the engine can take it. These are also a good bit of work, probably best left to a pro if you're a rookie.

For smaller gains things like headers, higher flowing carb (1978...guessing it's still carburated), and gears will help. Also, if it's an automatic a torque converter with a higher stall will keep you in your powerband more. Keep in mind that many of these things are going to KILL your MPG.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
reuler
CF Newbie

Well, the carburetor is a 4bbl that needs to be replaced, so i might be losing power through there. I would like to get maybe a 750cfm carb, but would that add any horsepower? Well, when i bought the car i didnt buy it for the gas mileage. And one more thing, i was told that when i bought the car it was bored out from a 400 to a 455, is that even possible?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #6
corbett_auto
CF Addict

You are looking at this the wrong way. You can not just simply bolt on a few items and boost horsepower... This is why I asked the budget. Also as you increase power you also need to "beef-up" the weak links to keep them from breaking....

Everything in (and on) the engine needs to work together as a team. Just adding a 750CFM carb is not going to help if the engine is incapable of handling the flow. Because of the year you are probably running low compression/smog components. The first step would be to pull the engine, disassemble it, bring it to a machine shop and have them insure it is solid and strong enough to handle the HP number you are shooting for. Then either swap out the heads or rework them to flow better, get a cam that will give you power in the range you are looking for, match up a intake for the rpm range, followed by a matching carb and so on......

With your current engine you have the potential to easily make 300 - 400 HP (or more). But you might as well plan on a rebuild and spending $3500 - $6000 in machine work, parts and labor. I am by no means an engine guru and can not tell you which parts you need or giving specific advise....

Does this help any? It is hard to give you any specific advise until we have an idea of what you are looking for or how much you want to invest into it.

The potential is there, it just needs to be extracted.

Last edited by corbett_auto : 05-07-2008 at 05:17 AM.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
reuler
CF Newbie

Yea, that helps, the problem is that im not sure what has been done to the car, or what is already in the car. The technical name for my car is "fire am" which i have looked online for it and have only found one website about it. Im not sure if it is the same as the firebird trans am or if it is different.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
mrblaackk
CF Newbie

If you tried a hot box

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuler
Hi,
I am looking to add horsepower to my 1978 T/a. I know that stock it didnt have much. It has the 400 engine. I have put new spark plugs in and new wires. I dont have headers on there now, but i do have dual flowmaster exhaust. Any suggestions on how to make it have more power?????

Thanks
have you tried a hotbox. It will allow you up to 15 advance or retard your spark and you know the rest, the better air to fuel ratio can mean the world
mrblaackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #9
mrblaackk
CF Newbie

I have a 79, and I found these new iridium plugs

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
they made a world of difference, but I have 403 Olds try them USD50 is set. But it's worth it to vacuum leaks, starve power also
mrblaackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
reuler
CF Newbie

This might make me sound stupid, but is a hotbox?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
reuler
CF Newbie

I also have another question, i want to repaint the vavle covers. Will i need to replace the gaskets after i take them off?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #12
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Even if they don't fall apart I'd replace the gaskets while you have access to them..they're not too expensive and the car is 30 years old.

Don't feel bad, I don't know whata hotbox is either...or at least not in reference to a car.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
This might make me sound stupid, but is a hotbox?

I have not heard of that exact product, but I assume he is talking about something similar to an MSD box. While it may help you some, it would be like anything else that you just bolt on....... Your engine will never live up to its full potential until you know that everything is working at maximum efficiency. Which means starting from the inside and working your way out. the other way (from the outside in) will only cause you more grief and money.

And yes always replace a gasket under anything you take off. You would save time and money, by just waiting and painting the whole engine after the rebuild. If the valve covers need painting it may be a safe bet to assume you need to rebuild the engine. In most cases an engine will be painted during the rebuild process.... if enough time has passed that the paint on the valve covers is bad..... I would assume a rebuild is needed.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:51 AM   #14
reuler
CF Newbie

power foam

Has anyone heard of amsoil power foam? If so what do you think.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:10 AM   #15
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Has anyone heard of amsoil power foam? If so what do you think.

We use to be an Amsoil dealer years ago. At one time they were one of the few manufacturers of a full line of synthetic fluids..... good stuff in general, but sometimes pricey......

Power foam is it some form of cleaner or are you refering to their air filter (which is foam)...... If you are asking about a cleaner I personally think "Sea Foam" is great. You can use it everywhere: in the fuel tank, in the crank case, pour it down the throat of the carb, etc...... and it lives up to the claims on the bottle. As always be sure to read the directions.