Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Shahar
CF Newbie

Hello guys, I have a legal question for you.

I'm Shahar from Israel,
I'm going to Ireland in the 6th of July and me and my friend want to rent a car, the problem is that we are only 18 years old, I tried to search in Irish car-rental websites, and I haven't found any place who rent a car to 18 years old people.

Can you please tell me if it's legal to rent a car if you are 18 years old in Ireland? if so, can someone show me a website whos allow this?
Shahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahar
I'm Shahar from Israel,
I'm going to Ireland in the 6th of July and me and my friend want to rent a car, the problem is that we are only 18 years old, I tried to search in Irish car-rental websites, and I haven't found any place who rent a car to 18 years old people.

Can you please tell me if it's legal to rent a car if you are 18 years old in Ireland? if so, can someone show me a website whos allow this?
It's probably legal, but most companies won't rent to anyone under 21-yrs of age for insurance reasons.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

My parents rented a car a couple days ago, and they couldn't put me on the insurance because there are restrictions for drivers under 21 (I'm in Canada though)--some places it's 25.

Some places do rent cars to drivers under that age, but you have to pay more in insurance. Call or email as many companies as you can, some should let you.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Shahar
CF Newbie

Thanks guys, I really should try sending some emails...
anyway, the driving in Ireland is on the left side of the road, and it's pretty hard to drive like that (I already did once when I've been to cyprus, but on a mini-bike).
So me and my friend consider the possibility to buy a bicycle which will be much easier and cheaper transportation.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really should try sending some emails...
anyway, the driving in Ireland is on the left side of the road, and it's pretty hard to drive like that (I already did once when I've been to cyprus, but on a mini-bike).
So me and my friend consider the possibility to buy a bicycle which will be much easier and cheaper transportation.
A bicycle or moped will probably be your best options. For example, I don't know any places here in the states that will even rent a car to you if you're under 25. I heard a rumor that moving vans like UHaul can be rented by minors, but don't know.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
A bicycle or moped will probably be your best options. For example, I don't know any places here in the states that will even rent a car to you if you're under 25. I heard a rumor that moving vans like UHaul can be rented by minors, but don't know.

New York and Michigan will rent to 18 year olds, but you pay a huge surcharge and astronomical amounts in insurance. Not worth it.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Shahar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016

I've also thought about renting a moped or some other 50-125cc bike, but I have a licence only for a car, I don't know how it goes in Ireland, do you need a licence for a bike? or if you have a licence for a car thats enough?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I've also thought about renting a moped or some other 50-125cc bike, but I have a licence only for a car, I don't know how it goes in Ireland, do you need a licence for a bike? or if you have a licence for a car thats enough?
Not sure what it's like where you live, but in the UK you need at least a CBT (Compulsary Basic Training) certificate to ride a Moped, unless you passed your driving test before 2001 I think. The same rules probably apply in Ireland evenh though the republic of Ireland isn't part of the UK. It also depends on what your license lets you do in other countries.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Shahar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Not sure what it's like where you live, but in the UK you need at least a CBT (Compulsary Basic Training) certificate to ride a Moped, unless you passed your driving test before 2001 I think. The same rules probably apply in Ireland evenh though the republic of Ireland isn't part of the UK. It also depends on what your license lets you do in other countries.

So I think that I'll go for the Bicycle anyway...